So why? Why do 4 or 5 star AND Neptune Guests board as the third group??

Mosaic

@DAllenTCYHow do know how many passengers will be embarking on a given sailing?  And what status they may be?

I'd love to know this info for Nieuw Amsterdam next Saturday 12/11 (I'm on the full 12-nights; have friends on just the 5-night segment starting 12/18). 

I'm a lowly 2* (that will change while on NA next week 😁) but had Club Orange on Eurodam 11/16 sailing.  There were more people in the Priority check-in line than in the regular line.  My check-in time for next Saturday just recently changed from 2:20 (I think it was Group G) to 12:40 Group C.  No idea why.

Since my go-to lunch on embarkation is a Dive-In Burger, fries, and a beer, I don't obsess about getting on board and to the MDR.

16 hours ago, CHPURSER said:

This discussion reminds me of kindergarten, when everyone pushed and shoved to get onto the school bus first, so we could sit in the seat behind the driver.

Same mentality here - just with older children……………………….. 

LOL - reminds me of my last (old) Rotterdam cruise. 

I was standing at Guest Services when the ceremony for medallions let out and the officers were leading those passengers from the theater (forward) to the aft dining room for the Mariner luncheon. 

I started laughing and made the comment to the woman helping me that on other lines, there is pirate night in the children's program where the children are proudly dressed in their pirate hats and then paraded through the ship by the staff. On HAL, we get the medallion parade.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CHPURSER said:

This discussion reminds me of kindergarten, when everyone pushed and shoved to get onto the school bus first, so we could sit in the seat behind the driver.

Same mentality here - just with older children……………………….. 

I will give one reason and there are more.  Because we PAY for it!  If it so childish, please be last in line for everything you do all the time and be happy about it. 

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

I will give one reason and there are more.  Because we PAY for it!  If it so childish, please be last in line for everything you do all the time and be happy about it. 

We are 4 star. You do not pay to be in group A. It is not a ranking. This is quite embarassing. Listen to yourself. You sound like the kind of cruiser I would avoid at all costs.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - reminds me of my last (old) Rotterdam cruise. 

I was standing at Guest Services when the ceremony for medallions let out and the officers were leading those passengers from the theater (forward) to the aft dining room for the Mariner luncheon. 

I started laughing and made the comment to the woman helping me that on other lines, there is pirate night in the children's program where the children are proudly dressed in their pirate hats and then paraded through the ship by the staff. On HAL, we get the medallion parade.

Not many children on HAL. Everything comes full circle. We have a number of couples on any given cruise that we travel with and love to meet for lunch on 1st day. To each his own I say. Have fun and joy in the journey. 

14 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Why is it wrong to have a preference for when you are allowed to board the ship?  Nobody should be criticized just for stating the fact that the day is paid for and so we would like to begin the vacation as soon as possible.  

I don’t think it’s that.  I would imagine most people would like to be on ASAP.  The issue I have is when people begrudge others for getting on first because they deserve to be there first because of their status.  I’m saying this is a 5 star Mariner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twodjs said:

We are 4 star. You do not pay to be in group A. It is not a ranking. This is quite embarassing. Listen to yourself. You sound like the kind of cruiser I would avoid at all costs.

Listen to yourself.  Loyalty (status) and monies spent with HAL apparently have no meaning for you.  Also, I ASKED about and SAID 4* 5* AND NEPTUNE Suite guests.  And yes, at usually at $1,000.00 per night, I do expect they deliver on what they promise, geeze.  Sorry for your sour grapes.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:06 AM, KirkNC said:

I am curious if anyone knows who is in the first two groups.

We are.  🙄 Please do not stone me folks...but we are in group A at 1:00.  The reason is (they told us this) we purchased transportation and hotel. I'm not sure if purchasing transportation alone does it or not.  

My question is...are there different boarding times for group A, or are we all at 1:00, because I thought boarding would start between 11 and 12.  

Another question is...those of you whose group/time has changed, where did you see this.  I've already printed off my boarding pass, could ours change?  

2 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

My question is...are there different boarding times for group A, or are we all at 1:00,

My experience in October is that all group A is all at the same time (and the same for other letters).  This was well vetted on our roll call so certain just one boarding time for each letter group.

3 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I thought boarding would start between 11 and 12.  

It does but only for those of us that do not follow the boarding times and just show up at the pier.  For our Rotterdam boarding in October, we arrived at 11 and were enjoying an uncrowded Lido for lunch.  (The Covid spokespeople on here will reprimand me for not following the safety rules of Covid or whatever so please do not tell anyone they can board prior to their assigned time)

7 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

those of you whose group/time has changed, where did you see this.

Our boarding time changed....we saw the new time on our boarding pass.  There is a FAQ on the HAL site somewhere (I'll try to find it later) that tells the timeline for how many days out that this is subject to changing.

And most importantly, enjoy your cruise!

I think that some HAL passengers (especially 4* & 5* Mariners) are obsessive about their priority perks.  Sometimes it just gets to be a bit much.  HAL's loyalty program has created a sub-set class of demanding entitled passengers, who upon entering the cruise terminal demand to know where the priority line is.  And it continues from there.  And we all know that on some cruises there are so  many 4* & 5* Mariners that it is necessary to suspend the perks.

To all Mariners - thanks for being a loyal HAL Mariner, but please consider being a bit more chill about it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We are.  🙄 Please do not stone me folks...but we are in group A at 1:00.  The reason is (they told us this) we purchased transportation and hotel. I'm not sure if purchasing transportation alone does it or not.  

My question is...are there different boarding times for group A, or are we all at 1:00, because I thought boarding would start between 11 and 12.  

Another question is...those of you whose group/time has changed, where did you see this.  I've already printed off my boarding pass, could ours change?  

It depends on where you are cruising from.  If Fort Lauderdale it’s likely around 11.  If you are cruising from San Diego it’s around 1.  According to a poster that works at the pier in San Diego they don’t start it earlier because there are people that refuse to adhere to the time on their boarding pass.  That’s for others, I guess.  I got several emails to say my boarding time had changed and to look at my boarding pass.

37 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Listen to yourself.  Loyalty (status) and monies spent with HAL apparently have no meaning for you.  Also, I ASKED about and SAID 4* 5* AND NEPTUNE Suite guests.  And yes, at usually at $1,000.00 per night, I do expect they deliver on what they promise, geeze.  Sorry for your sour grapes.

Wow, just wow.  Why get so upset over this?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I think that some HAL passengers (especially 4* & 5* Mariners) are obsessive about their priority perks.  Sometimes it just gets to be a bit much.  HAL's loyalty program has created a sub-set class of demanding entitled passengers, who upon entering the cruise terminal demand to know where the priority line is.  And it continues from there.  And we all know that on some cruises there are so  many 4* & 5* Mariners that it is necessary to suspend the perks.

To all Mariners - thanks for being a loyal HAL Mariner, but please consider being a bit more chill about it. 

It’s interesting that I have seen several posts lately about the entitlement of 4 &5 stars.  I guess too many of us complain about things and how they used to be.  Honestly, the HAL Mariner program is rather weak compared to some other lines so maybe many are trying to hold on to the few perks they have.   I can attest to that entitlement attitude especially on world cruises where  many feel they are special.  Do remember though, 4 & 5 star mariners have paid several $100,000 to achieve their status so some understanding maybe in order.  Personally my gripe surrounds Club Orange which gives perks to someone who pays an extra $200 and gets priority or access that I don’t have.  In my mind, the only perks to get excited about in the upper tier are free laundry, priority tendering (when available) and a couple free Pinnacle dinners.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It’s interesting that I have seen several posts lately about the entitlement of 4 &5 stars.  I guess too many of us complain about things and how they used to be.  Honestly, the HAL Mariner program is rather weak compared to some other lines so maybe many are trying to hold on to the few perks they have.   I can attest to that entitlement attitude especially on world cruises where  many feel they are special.  Do remember though, 4 & 5 star mariners have paid several $100,000 to achieve their status so some understanding maybe in order.  Personally my gripe surrounds Club Orange which gives perks to someone who pays an extra $200 and gets priority or access that I don’t have.  In my mind, the only perks to get excited about in the upper tier are free laundry, priority tendering (when available) and a couple free Pinnacle dinners.  

I’ve easily spent $100,000 on cruises.  I don’t get twisted if someone gets on 5 minutes before I do. It seems like you sail on the older ships.  There would be very little allure to buy club orange on a non pinnacle ship so what possible difference would it make?  You have also mentioned your intention to no longer sail with hal once your fcc are gone.  I can’t imagine why you’d be so upset about club orange when it will have very little affect on you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

All I did was to ASK  a question about boarding priority and how it works.  Other people took the conversation sideways. Although I did respond in kind...

Yea that happens some times.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

All I did was to ASK  a question about boarding priority and how it works.  Other people took the conversation sideways. Although I did respond in kind...

No, you started the thread by asking why you were "demoted" to group C. Your choice of words suggests your perception that group C is somehow a lower ranking group of guests. It is not. Then you come back and suggest because you paid more than $1000 per night, you should have been in the A group. So explain logistically how all the 4 and 5 star Mariners and Neptune Suite guests should be in group A with covid spacing and get on the ship within 15 minutes. Can't be done. That's why a few top Mariners are in each group. You arrive, get to be in the express line and are on the ship within 10 or 15 minutes. We've been on 3 HAL cruises so far since Covid and if everyone follows the assigned times, the boarding is easy peasy, especially for top Mariners and Neptune Suite people. Weren't in group A most of the time - still got the express line within our time frame. And loved our cruise. Just chill and you'll have a good one, too.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

That is a competitive issue that HAL, and others, will have to deal with.   

Reading some comments about the difference between HAL suites and Celebrity suites, written by posters who were very loyal to HAL tells me that that people are shopping, comparing, etc.

There will be a point in time where HAL marketing will be forced to make a change in order to secure business from those that are comparison shopping between all cruise lines, not just HAL and Celebrity.  Is is something that we done on just about every cruise.....price, offerings,  ship, etc.  It is why we have never be so called 'loyal' to any one cruise line.

I must admit, boarding time has never been a decision factor for us nor have any of the ego centric gimmes such as priority this or that or a special color on our pass key.    Whether we are able secure a boarding time of 11 or 2 is of no real consequence to us.  As long as we make it on before sailing time are happy campers.  I

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, iancal said:

That is a competitive issue that HAL, and others, will have to deal with.   

Reading some comments about the difference between HAL suites and Celebrity suites, written by posters who were very loyal to HAL tells me that that people are shopping, comparing, etc.

There will be a point in time where HAL marketing will be forced to make a change in order to secure business from those that are comparison shopping between all cruise lines, not just HAL and Celebrity.  Is is something that we done on just about every cruise.....price, offerings,  ship, etc.  It is why we have never be so called 'loyal' to any one cruise line.

Agreed, we are not suite folks but the differences with X appear sharp.