Has the new Omicron variant delay the restart of cruising?

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

From what I read on the CC forum,

• on day 5 they already have nine passengers and two crew infected with Covid.
  • Cartagena (Colombia) authorities changed threshold for cases from 2% to 1% and therefore denied entry.

Not off to a good start, and could get worse.🤔

No it was not a good start but if it is the same length as next year’s world cruise it is 136 days.   A very long time and really interesting to follow.   The best thing is the person writing it is not including lots of photos of food which others have.  

since I am sitting in Melbourne just now I am interested in the places they go.   Have done the Panama Canal so looking forward to it all.

we had booked the Panama Canal for 2022 but saw some people on Crystal cruises had been dumped in Mexico because they had Covid.   Not that brave!

Eileen

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

This time around, there is no Government support. And I bet their insurance doesn't cover Covid. So sad.😔

A lot of small businesses are going to be hit badly this time. I just received an alert for the 23rd at that greengrocer and our local butcher near it. Luckily we went to the butcher earlier today as they might have to close as well they had all hands on deck on the 23rd so they probably don't have any relief staff to keep them open either.

We haven't had any symptoms and the only place we've been all week, not counting today,  was to the emergency animal hospital after our cat had some sort of mild, temporary, seizure (he's OK now) on Boxing Day. We've done our grocery shopping for the week so hopefully won't have to go out again for a few days.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Wow - some brave Aussies ……… 👏

Some would say foolish Aussies for going on it, or even leaving Straya.

Reading some of the reports from the ship there has been a reluctance to mask up by some pax.  That does not help the spread.

The Viking Star has been denied entry to Cartagena, Columbia and on way to Panama.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A lot of small businesses are going to be hit badly this time. I just received an alert for the 23rd at that greengrocer and our local butcher near it. Luckily we went to the butcher earlier today as they might have to close as well they had all hands on deck on the 23rd so they probably don't have any relief staff to keep them open either.

We haven't had any symptoms and the only place we've been all week, not counting today,  was to the emergency animal hospital after our cat had some sort of mild, temporary, seizure (he's OK now) on Boxing Day. We've done our grocery shopping for the week so hopefully won't have to go out again for a few days.

Not forgetting the Hotel Urban. I am ok, I caught a couple of ubers to there as well from my son's place.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hope you and Rolf will be ok Julie. Are there many cases in your area? We have a few new ones each  day in our postcode. Our LGA had 141 new cases reported today after 87 yesterday. 

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Hope you and Rolf will be ok Julie. Are there many cases in your area? We have a few new ones each  day in our postcode. Our LGA had 141 new cases reported today after 87 yesterday. 

Today's figures aren't up yet for NSW cases by LGA on the site I check. Yesterday it was 115 up from 58. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 200 today.

We're being very careful. Only going out for essential shopping, getting what we want as quickly as we can, wearing masks and sanitizing all the time including each time we get back in the car. We're not even having coffee out now. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

Up until 24th December, we had no friends test positive for Covid. Since then we have 4 separate groups test positive. None are linked to each other. All of them have mild symptoms, but have had to wait 4 days for their results.(One group had a RAT that tested positive so went for the PCR test.)  They were  all told they were close contacts , so all isolated. My friends 3 year old grandson tested positive (and the worry is, he has a heart condition). They tested him at local hospital(as he had cold like symptoms) and had the result in 6 hours, with him and his Mum positive. So far rest of family is negative.

I think there is a good chance, that many of us will get Covid, but hopefully only mild symptoms, as my friends have

• Like 3

We will all get it eventually.  The best thing to do is protect yourself and your loved ones by getting the jabs, boosters, wear masks, use sanitisers, wash hands often, keep your distance and limit exposure by staying home as much as possible.

• Like 4

It's going to be very interesting if the Star actually debarks in Bali, considering Aussies aren't allowed to fly or holiday there at present. I think that will upset a lot of the voting generation as it looks like money buys you access to a much loved place.

I know of three cases in friends and family suffering with Omicron at the moment - one person is totally unvaccinated with mild symptoms (don't ask) and another two are fully boosted and in their mid 50s. The 50s couple have no symptoms at all but test every few days. I don't want to say it but Scotty is right when he says that Omicron is proving to be less severe, echoing what Prof Fauci and Prof Whitty have said.

I'm rooting for the Star. I hope they can manage cases and successfully cruise around the world and demonstrate that risks of all sorts can be managed.

As an aside ....

Is anyone else noticing the term 'petri-dish' is being thrown around by media types again? I've written to several reporters who shunt that term around and asked them to explain why they won't report on the numbers of COVID contracted onboard flights by comparison. Plenty of studies exist on this suggesting the numbers are astronomically high. It's very sad the zeitgeist of our age seems to be that it's dangerous to cruise but contracting covid onboard a flight is perfectly fine and the media whitewash and support this assertion.

CDC has raised their cruise alerts to level 4. Stating' Avoid all Cruise travel, regardless of vaccination status.'  So will they recall all the ships to home ports? 

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel - COVID-19 Very High - Level 4_ COVID-19 Very High - Travel Health Notices _ Travelers' Health _ CDC.html

Edited by NSWP

11 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

It's going to be very interesting if the Star actually debarks in Bali, considering Aussies aren't allowed to fly or holiday there at present. I think that will upset a lot of the voting generation as it looks like money buys you access to a much loved place.

Surely the ship should be recalled to home port, she might end up like ye olde Mary Celeste, cruise to nowhere.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

CDC has raised their cruise alerts to level 4. Stating' Avoid all Cruise travel, regardless of vaccination status.'  So will they recall all the ships to home ports? 

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel - COVID-19 Very High - Level 4_ COVID-19 Very High - Travel Health Notices _ Travelers' Health _ CDC.htmlUnavailable

The PM said the he was going to review the ban around 17th January.

I think it won’t take long for him to make a decision.

But you don’t know what to expect from these clowns.

Now NSW Premier this morning has stated from 27 January, QR Codes will be scrapped and mask wearing relaxed in retail etc.  We are going round in circles. I cannot keep up with it.

The world has gone mad, well NSW has. I need a drink.amy-schumer-white-wine-huge-glass.jpg.c285ae2f39c421936a48aa4173840321.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can’t understand the new definition of a close contact. 4 hours in a house hold situation.

What about 8 hours at work,at the club Pub  or a hour next to someone on the train . That’s casual contact.

yet we can’t go on a cruise with strict guidelines.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2dee03067bd12348414861f09e2f16b.jpeg