Vaccine and PCR/Antigen Test Protocol

Floridastorm

OK, so I've had my Vaccine regimen and need to get a PCR or Antigen Test within 48 hours of checking in at the port. 

*When does the cruise ship ask for your physical proof of Vaccine? When you book the cruise (via uploaded copy) or some other time via original?

*When and how do they ask for the results of your PCR or Antigen Test?

*Since the Antigen Test results come back within an hour and the PCR results could take much longer, is it not pragmatic to get the Antigen Test?

*Do all lines accept the Antigen test in lieu of the PCR Test?

*Are there any payments for either test or do most insurance and Medicare pay for them? 

*Is it not somewhat cumbersome and maybe unrealistic to arrange for a PCR or Antigen Test taken within a 48 hour time frame of departure?   

Most appreciative of any and all responses. 🤔

Several of these questions will depend on the cruise line so it’s not practical to get an ‘do all cruise lines’ response. It would be better to choose a few lines you are interested and look at their policies

but yes, with a 48 time frame an antigen test is more guaranteed than a pcr test. No, I don’t think either is unrealistic. People are cruising and flying every day now and managing to fulfil the requirements. Flying is even more arduous with only a 1 day limit. But with all the at home tests, people seem to make it work.

If you look on the board for the cruise line you are interested in, you will find the answers that apply. 

Most are gathering the CDC card and test results at the pier.

Antigen is less accurate and more prone to false positives. PCR tests can be back in under 12 hours, so getting a test 48 hours out is quite doable and realistic. There are a variety of sources, both free and paid for, to get a test. Insurance coverage will depend on your insurance coverage, and whether they cover a test for non-essential needs, like travel.

8 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

OK, so I've had my Vaccine regimen and need to get a PCR or Antigen Test within 48hours of checking in at the port. 

*When does the cruise ship ask for your physical proof of Vaccine? When you book the cruise (via uploaded copy) or some other time via original? Both Norwegian and Princess asked for verification of vaccination when booking. We showed our paperwork when checking in at the port.

*When and how do they ask for the results of your PCR or Antigen Test? Princess cruise Nov. 20 through Nov. 30 - asked for physical proof when checking in at the port. We showed the text we received with our results.

*Since the Antigen Test results come back within an hour and the PCR results could take much longer, is it not pragmatic to get the Antigen Test? Both Norwegian (in Aug.) and Princess accepted the Antigen Test.

*Do all lines accept the Antigen test in lieu of the PCR Test? You'll have to check with each individual line.

*Are there any payments for either test or do most insurance and Medicare pay for them? Norwegian's test fee was included in the criuise fare. Princess was on our dime. You would need to check with your own insurance about payment if it's not a part of the cruise fare. 

*Is it not somewhat cumbersome and maybe unrealistic to arrange for a PCR or Antigen Test taken within a 48 hour time frame of departure?   Norwegian tested at the port as part of the boarding process. Princess requires two days, not 48 hours, prior to check-in, not departure. We were able to test at Ft. Lauderdale airport when we arrived for our Princess cruise and received our results via text and e-mail. We arrive at FLL on a late Thursday evening and sailed Saturday.

Please see answers in bold above.

We are sailing out of Canada next Oct.  we are arriving 3 days prior to our cruise.  Can we purchase at home test and do them ourselves, or do they have to be administered by someone more "official"?  Can our TA find us a location for testing or is that something we have to do that ourselves?

52 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

We are sailing out of Canada next Oct.  we are arriving 3 days prior to our cruise.  Can we purchase at home test and do them ourselves, or do they have to be administered by someone more "official"?  Can our TA find us a location for testing or is that something we have to do that ourselves?

I haven't heard of any cruise line accepting a test that is not medically supervised.

1 hour ago, screwsmcernst said:

You have a lot of research to do…or to burden your TA to do.  You are not sailing for ten months.  There can be changes every month until then.  You have to consider what test will be required to enter Canada, and if arriving three days before cruise, probably another test before boarding.  In Canada.  There is a board here for Canada cruisers, I think mostly for Canadian residents, but it might have something of interest.  EM

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

Worry about it a couple of weeks prior - no one knows what the requirements will be next month never mind next year!  Covid might be history by then 

15 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

OK, so I've had my Vaccine regimen and need to get a PCR or Antigen Test within 48 hours of checking in at the port. 

*When does the cruise ship ask for your physical proof of Vaccine? When you book the cruise (via uploaded copy) or some other time via original?

*When and how do they ask for the results of your PCR or Antigen Test?

*Since the Antigen Test results come back within an hour and the PCR results could take much longer, is it not pragmatic to get the Antigen Test?

*Do all lines accept the Antigen test in lieu of the PCR Test?

*Are there any payments for either test or do most insurance and Medicare pay for them? 

*Is it not somewhat cumbersome and maybe unrealistic to arrange for a PCR or Antigen Test taken within a 48 hour time frame of departure?   

As mentioned by others, most of the answers to these questions will vary by cruise line.  The best source is your chosen cruise line's Web site.  They'll explain in their FAQs what's up.  You can also consult your travel agent (if applicable) and other threads here.

I recommend antigen tests over PCR tests for pre-travel testing.  The latter are much too sensitive and will register positives with small, non-infectious amounts of virus.

Drugstores and most public testing centers will take insurance.  Some private testing labs won't take insurance.  The proctored home tests you'll have to pay for and submit for reimbursement (good luck).

We've had all kinds of arguments and discussions over how burdensome the 2-day requirement is.  For many areas, getting PCR test results back in that window has been tough (3 days was better when that was the rule). Getting the antigen test results back in time is less of a problem than finding a suitable antigen test.

18 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

you can use an ‘at home’ test but it must be medically supervised. For example the binax now with emed supervision. I don’t know how easy these are to get in Canada. And no, I don’t think finding a testing location is a TA responsibility. 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, screwsmcernst said:

Hi 

As said, I wouldn't worry about what you might have to do next Oct. now since everything will likely be different then. 

Right now, if you were flying into Canada, you would need a - PCR test to get on the plane and then you would be required to take an antigen test when you arrive. Will this be the rule in October? Your guess would be as good as anyone's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Floridastorm,

You wrote on December 6 "OK, so I've had my Vaccine regimen"

You wrote on December 8" (red emphasis mine)

"There is no period of time. This vaccination and testing protocol will be going on forever. We still have tight security at airports although it's been over 20 years since 911. Yes, I am unvaccinated. However I, and millions of other people,  am forced into getting all of this stuff if I ever want to cruise again. Still deciding if it's worth it."

I'm not understanding this apparent contradiction.

Source: 

On 12/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, hmm364 said:

where would you find a location in VANCOUVER BC to get covid tested before our cruise in Aug 2022

googling Covid test vancouver should bring up a list of possibilities.  This is exactly what I did in Houston to find a place to get a rapid PCR test. Uber was able to take me right there, and I had my results in 3 hours.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:35 PM, Bizmark'sMom said:

googling Covid test vancouver should bring up a list of possibilities.  This is exactly what I did in Houston to find a place to get a rapid PCR test. Uber was able to take me right there, and I had my results in 3 hours.

You googled "COVID Test Vancouver" to get a test in Houston?  😀