Pre Cruise Covid Testing question

Sorry in advance, but another covid testing question...  We scheduled pre cruise covid antigen tests through our local walgreens and the process is you pull up in the drive through, they hand you the swab to collect your sample, you give it back to them for testing.  My question is will that satisfy the pre testing requirements in order for my insurance to kick in if we test positive at the port?  We are traveling dec 18th so current testing procedures at the port.  

The reason im looking for some real world experience with this is because we called NCL customer service three times.  First call they said no, it had to be PCR, the second and third call they said yes, that was acceptable...  Our insurance was purchased through NCL. Standard plan.

thanks 

Sorry, i didnt mean to make it sound like a PCR vs antigen, im more concerned about it count as an official / observed test vs a test kit which i believe doesn't count.  If they had you the swap and you take your own sample, will that satisfy the official/observed requirement?  thx

32 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Sorry, i didnt mean to make it sound like a PCR vs antigen, im more concerned about it count as an official / observed test vs a test kit which i believe doesn't count.  If they had you the swap and you take your own sample, will that satisfy the official/observed requirement?  thx

According to the FAQ on the Sail Safe page the results for that test need to be documented with your name, DOB and the date, so I don't think something that you do entirely on your own would qualify.

Now I am confused, I was under the impression testing was done at the pier and pre testing before you arrived was not necessary. 

Does anyone that has sailed on NCL have the correct answer? 

We are sailing out of New Orleans, if that makes a difference.

Edited by vicnsue
Adding New Orleans info

49 minutes ago, 20165 said:

As far as I know, it still counts as proctored because the pharmacy tech watches you do the test through the drive-in window.  I did the Walgreens drive-through test last year (not for a cruise) & the paperwork results didn't show as test kit or home test. 

We plan on doing this same procedure for our upcoming cruise. 

Taking a test before you arrive is an added precaution, not mandatory per NCL's website. Also, if by chance you do test positive at the cruise terminal while embarking in order to receive any type of help from NCL you need to provide proof of a negative PCR or antigen 96hrs prior.

"Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through January 16, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

2 hours ago, 20165 said:

Sorry in advance, but another covid testing question...  We scheduled pre cruise covid antigen tests through our local walgreens and the process is you pull up in the drive through, they hand you the swab to collect your sample, you give it back to them for testing.  My question is will that satisfy the pre testing requirements in order for my insurance to kick in if we test positive at the port?  We are traveling dec 18th so current testing procedures at the port.  

The reason im looking for some real world experience with this is because we called NCL customer service three times.  First call they said no, it had to be PCR, the second and third call they said yes, that was acceptable...  Our insurance was purchased through NCL. Standard plan.

thanks 

sailed gem for thanksgiving.
antigen test is all you need.

also, next time dont buy  ncl insurance. buy 3rd party.
cheaper and better.

ie: insuremytrip.com

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pebbs48 said:

As far as I know, it still counts as proctored because the pharmacy tech watches you do the test through the drive-in window.  I did the Walgreens drive-through test last year (not for a cruise) & the paperwork results didn't show as test kit or home test. 

We plan on doing this same procedure for our upcoming cruise. 

Perfect, thank you for the info.

5 hours ago, Pebbs48 said:

As far as I know, it still counts as proctored because the pharmacy tech watches you do the test through the drive-in window. 

Yep.  Just did ours this morning.  The pharmacy tech was watching us all the way through the process.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:27 AM, 20165 said:

thanks 

So,,, "real world" examples would come from people with COVID showing up to check in, which are few and far between (an even less likely to be a cruise critic member). 

It is always better to see what the written policy is, versus talking with the minimum wage call center person who is shooting from their hip without looking up your answer. The written policy is below. 

NCL.COM/SAFE

Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through January 16, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.
  • Like 1

bird travels, you seem to know a great deal, so i'm relying on your expertise.  

what about sailings after jan 16,2022. we're leaving from san juan. jan 23rd.

also, we're leaving los angeles on the red-eye the 21st, and staying in san juan onthe 22nd. im curious as to when we should actually get the covid test so we can get the results back in time to comply with ncl requirements. any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

thank you ahead of time

I am also sailing after 1/16. We received an email with the details about testing.

From NCL site

"Cruises with embarkation dates beginning January 17, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service - BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing"

I would think you could get tested in San Juan. If you are not able to get a test back in time, NCL can do a rapid test for $99. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 7:27 AM, 20165 said:

thanks 

This is a question for your insurance company. Even though you bought it from NCL, it is underwritten by an insurance company who sets the requirements for paying a claim.

Most policies require a confirmation of the diagnosis and orders not to travel from a doctor or health authority. A single screening test likely will not suffice. Your doctor may be satisfied with a PCR and not require further testing, but you still need the documentation for a claim.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, Burrata said:

I am also sailing after 1/16. We received an email with the details about testing.

From NCL site

"Cruises with embarkation dates beginning January 17, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service - BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing"

I would think you could get tested in San Juan. If you are not able to get a test back in time, NCL can do a rapid test for $99. 

Is this also 96 hours prior?   My place of work offers Covid tests twice a week.  If I took the test on Wednesday for a Sunday cruise that seems to fall under the 96 hour window.  Our cruise isn't until end of Feb so who knows what the deal will be by then, considering the rise of Omicron.

1 hour ago, steveknj said:

Is this also 96 hours prior?   My place of work offers Covid tests twice a week.  If I took the test on Wednesday for a Sunday cruise that seems to fall under the 96 hour window.  Our cruise isn't until end of Feb so who knows what the deal will be by then, considering the rise of Omicron.

Currently, AFTER 1/16/22, all tests must be completed 48 (or fewer) hours before your cruise date.

To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise vacation, see below:
table-embark-US-NonUS.png

Edited by ggTexasGal
added chart
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 3:39 PM, ggTexasGal said:

Currently, AFTER 1/16/22, all tests must be completed 48 (or fewer) hours before your cruise date.

To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise vacation, see below:
table-embark-US-NonUS.png

As of this morning, above info has changed back to previously posted information.  SEE ATTACHED:

Updated Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements.pdf

• Like 1

The walgreens tests are as real as any other tests you can take. The issue for "unsupervised" tests is that you could process them without swabbing yourself and get negatives every time. Walgreens does what many other drive through tests do. They check your ID. They give you a swab. They watch your swab yourself. You hand it back. You get written results with your name and information on them. This is the same for antigen or PCR. Walgreens drive through tests are fine.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 2:21 PM, Sand and Seas said:

I'm happy they are continuing testing at the pier.  We will still get a test prior to boarding the plane, but the 48 hrs rule made it tough if you wanted to stay a day or two prior to embarkation,

This is exactly what I am worried about for our February cruise!

We have a land vacation planned before boarding the ship and there doesnt seem to be any "approved" testing locaitons near where we will be traveling.

If we fly to our port city a day before the cruise and somehow manage to locate one of the approved test locations, (or maybe even a local pharmacy like CVS or Walgreen?)....will we have the results back in time to board the ship the following morning?

Guess we wiull be spending our day before the cruise UBER-ing to a test site with our fingers crossed!  

Also...how do they communicate the test results?  By email? Text? Hard Copy?  

Would it juist be better to pay at the pier.....unclear if that will stiull be an option or not?  

Tested at CVS. Made reservations. We both entered the test booth outside CVS. 
1. Verified us by photo ID.
2. Took pic of photo ID.
3. Requested our Confirmation Nr.
4. Explained what will happen,  for test and when results will be provided. 
5. We each did our own test -  Qtip in nostril rotating inside noise 5 times. Both nostrils. 
6. Return Qtip which LP put in tube. 
7. Done - no pain or no deep intrusion.
Thirty minutes later call from LP.
Both of us NEGATIVE.
ONE HOUR LATER email from CVS INFORMING us to sign into MY CHART. SELECTED TEST RESULTS.
TEST NAME DATE DISPLAYED 
CLICKED ON THE ABOVE
LETTER WITH TEST RESULTS DISPLAYED. 
PRINTED IT OUT
DONE!  
TOOK PIC OF LETTER ON PHONE.

Go to Youtube to see the video instructions from CVS and people testing
Stay Safe and Happy Holidays!