Final Payment Due Next Month for Alaska Cruise (May 2022) -- Would You Hesitate to Pay It...?

Yo Adrienne

DH and I are booked on a roundtrip (Seattle to Seattle) Alaskan cruise in May 2022...one of the first of the new Alaska cruise season.  Our final payment is due in early January.  We are both vaccinated and boosted...and we have travel insurance.  We don't live close enough to the port of Seattle to drive, so we will be flying in from the Midwest.

So much can (and I'm sure will) change between now (mid-December), January (when our final payment is due), and May (when the cruise actually departs)...and we'll be following all of the NCL required/recommended protocols as we approach the embarkation date.

Having happily watched the restarting of cruising (finally)...and seeing the mostly positive experiences outweighing the negative ones...we're fairly certain this cruise won't be cancelled...! 🙂  (We've had two cancelled in previous years.)

But since this will be one of the first Alaska cruises of the season (and since omicron has reared its ugly head), we know there is still some degree of risk involved in cruising...and that these first few early cruises of the new season will probably serve as "test cases" for further covid-protocol tweaking...just as the early Encore Alaskan cruises did when they restarted back in August. 

So...just curious...would you have any hesitation in moving forward and making the full final payment...? 

I have final payment due the end of this month for a May cruise and intend to pay it.  DH and I just talked about it last night.  We're both vaccinated and got our boosters last week, and have travel insurance.  If for some reason NCL cancels the cruise we'll request our money back.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Darcy03231 said:

I have final payment due the end of this month for a May cruise and intend to pay it.  DH and I just talked about it last night.  We're both vaccinated and got our boosters last week, and have travel insurance.  If for some reason NCL cancels the cruise we'll request our money back.

How could your final payment be due this month for a May cruise?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Speaking from experience on a 4/10 NCL cruise, the payment date shifted to 60 days prior to the cruise date. This may be different for Alaska cruises, but check to see if your final payment date moved.

Yes, in fact I saw that on the NCL website yesterday...!  Unfortunately, it's only listed as being applicable for cruises that depart prior to April 30.  Since we're going in May, we're still (currently) looking at final payment due 120 days prior to departure...!  It'd be nice to think that they'd extend the 60-day final payment due policy into May, but because we're so close to our current due date, I'm guessing it won't happen in time. 

But with the quickly changing protocols and policy changes these days...who knows...! 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How could your final payment be due this month for a May cruise?

If booked through a travel agency final payment for an early May cruise could be due towards end of December.  Our final payment for May 3rd NCL Star cruise booked direct through NCL is due January 3rd.  Haven't decided if we're going to cancel....... wish we knew where in "Venice" ship will depart from.

We were really hoping NCL would delay final payment due date for the May 2022 cruises in same manner as they did cruises through April 30th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yo Adrienne said:

DH and I are booked on a roundtrip (Seattle to Seattle) Alaskan cruise in May 2022...one of the first of the new Alaska cruise season.  Our final payment is due in early January.  We are both vaccinated and boosted...and we have travel insurance.  We don't live close enough to the port of Seattle to drive, so we will be flying in from the Midwest.

So much can (and I'm sure will) change between now (mid-December), January (when our final payment is due), and May (when the cruise actually departs)...and we'll be following all of the NCL required/recommended protocols as we approach the embarkation date.

Having happily watched the restarting of cruising (finally)...and seeing the mostly positive experiences outweighing the negative ones...we're fairly certain this cruise won't be cancelled...! 🙂  (We've had two cancelled in previous years.)

But since this will be one of the first Alaska cruises of the season (and since omicron has reared its ugly head), we know there is still some degree of risk involved in cruising...and that these first few early cruises of the new season will probably serve as "test cases" for further covid-protocol tweaking...just as the early Encore Alaskan cruises did when they restarted back in August. 

So...just curious...would you have any hesitation in moving forward and making the full final payment...? 

if youre on the Bliss (we are)  they are sailing already. they have gotten a bunch of practice 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

My cruise is in May, and the final payment is at the end of January...wonder why her's isn't?

It's due 120 out from embarkation...so second week in May departure means that our payment is due the second week in January.  (Haven and suites on cruises departing after April 30, 2022 have a final payment due date of 120 prior.  Other categories and lengths of cruises are different.) 

The payment date has changed back to 120 days for cruises leaving 5/1 and beyond.  Ultimately you will have to decide what’s going to be comfortable for your well deserved vacation.  I have a Mediterranean cruise booked on 5/1/22 on the EPIC and payment is due 1/1/22.  I have NCL insurance plus supplemental insurance.  I am 95% sure we are going to go unless some other major border restrictions happens and or some new new variants that stumps the scientists.  Then I will have at least 75% of it back in FCC for canceling for any reason using the insurance purchased through NCL and I am comfortable with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

The payment date has changed back to 120 days for cruises leaving 5/1 and beyond.  Ultimately you will have to decide what’s going to be comfortable for your well deserved vacation.  I have a Mediterranean cruise booked on 5/1/22 on the EPIC and payment is due 1/1/22.  I have NCL insurance plus supplemental insurance.  I am 95% sure we are going to go unless some other major border restrictions happens and or some new new variants that stumps the scientists.  Then I will have at least 75% of it back in FCC for canceling for any reason using the insurance purchased through NCL and I am comfortable with that.

Exactly.  We have travel insurance, too...but didn't get it through NCL.  (I don't believe it's "cancel for any reason"...but it does cover trip interruption, etc. and is a good policy for that.)  

We really don't think the cruise will be cancelled...it seems like NCL (and many of the others) are doing all they can to continue cruising safely...changing protocols to keep passengers and crew safe--rather than opting to cancel cruises.  

And a Mediterranean cruise for you...awesome...!  I hope you have a wonderful time...!  🙂 

I am booked on the Sun in May of 22 and have final payment due in early January. I'm watching to see what they do with masks, since that's my main concern. We are vaxxed and boosted and have no health concerns, but we will not spend money for a cruise (or any other vacation for that matter) and be stuck walking around the ship with a mask on. I'm hoping they extend the 60 day payment window again, and I have a feeling they will. I just don't know if it will be in time for us. 

Edited by Steve_MI
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve_MI said:

I am booked on the Sun in May of 22 and have final payment due in early January. I'm watching to see what they do with masks, since that's my main concern. We are vaxxed and boosted and have no health concerns, but we will not spend money for a cruise (or any other vacation for that matter) and be stuck walking around the ship with a mask on. I'm hoping they extend the 60 day payment window again, and I have a feeling they will. I just don't know if it will be in time for us. 

There is no way NCL can tell  months in advance what the mask policy will be, since it isn't always up to them.  Italy requires a mask policy for example.  So masks required on those cruises, even though NCL policy says no masks. It can change at any time depending on itinerary - and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve_MI said:

Same here...!  We depart on the Sun just a little earlier than you...on May 10...but I'm guessing that even if they do extend the 60 days final payment policy, it'll be too late for us.  Fingers crossed for both of us...! 🙂 

5 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Check your date again. I have a cruise booked April 3rd and my final due date isn't until Feb. 2nd.

Final payment is due 60 prior to cruise for cruises departing through April 30th.  Goes back to 120 days for everything starting May 1st.

• Like 1

https://www.ncl.com/about/payment -schedule

Here is the current payment dates document.  

Sailings from May 1, 2022 bring the changes. 120 days seems long time in today’s environment.   Particularly for the NCL cruises that have yet to resume.  Northern Europe, for example.  

Alaska has resumed and the cruises went well.  

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just my opinion, but there is no way I would pay in full 120 days in advance to any cruise line. I'd take my (very good) chances that there will be space available last minute. 

I'll pay via credit card so if NCL cancels the cruise I'll get my money back.  I have insurance to cover any other issues.  I bought this cruise and picked my cabin in July 2020.  Cost from what I paid back then has almost doubled.  I'm pretty sure I've covered all my bases so I have no issues with paying 120 in advance.  While there may be space available, it may not be the space I want or at a price I want to pay.

• Like 1