Beverage Package

CatLuvsH20

Also, which ship will you be on?  We have very recent experiences on the Oasis and Anthem.  Not sure why, whether it’s a sign of the times or not, but we found the beer/vodka variety very lacking on the Anthem that did not match the description of the package. We personally would have been better off not buying the package but relying on the 6 free voucher drinks. 

The Oasis had a better variety than the Anthem. The description in the cruise planner of the drink package lists variety that may not be available.  

Agree with PP.  It depends on how much YOU think YOU will drink.  Anyone who just says "get the package" without knowing that information is doing a disservice IMO.  

Do you think you will get 4-5 alcoholic (if you're considering the Deluxe plan) drinks EVERY day?  Yes, OJ, water, etc is included, but isn't going to change the math much).  If so, then get the Deluxe plan.

There was a news article I read this morning addressing the pros and cons of buying a booze pkg if you are Diamond or above since you will get 4 to 6 drinks daily.

I would have posted it on here,  but some of the posters get upset about posting news links.

Bottom line was that the many people who provided their views was they will no longer buy a booze pkg with the new 4 to 6 drinks per day.  Only those that drink more than 4 to 6 would pay the extra. 

So,  it's your choice. Only you can determine if it is worth while to pay the extra. 

Stay Safe! 

28 minutes ago, CatLuvsH20 said:

I am only platinum.  We would drink every day.  

We were on a very port intensive cruise this past November with no sea days and a stop in a port everyday. We bought the DDP and figured we needed to drink 4-5 drinks per day. When you consider it covers soft drinks and coffee's (non Starbucks) and your cocktails we easily made it worth it for us. Take for example one day. Coffee or soft drink in the morning, then after returning from excursion a frozen drink at the pool bar. Then a pre dinner drink, wine at dinner, a after dinner espresso, then 2-3 cocktails in the evening at bars and or shows. Very worth for us.

I think my wife and I would qualify for the 4-5 drinks per, per day.  However, would be helpful knowing the Deluxe Package normal cost per day versus the "special, 30% off" email received for our January cruise on Freedom.  It states the price as $64 per day, per adult, but I can not tell if this is after or before the discount.  Anyone know what they are charging for a glass of wine these days?  

33 minutes ago, Bobr118 said:

I think my wife and I would qualify for the 4-5 drinks per, per day.  However, would be helpful knowing the Deluxe Package normal cost per day versus the "special, 30% off" email received for our January cruise on Freedom.  It states the price as $64 per day, per adult, but I can not tell if this is after or before the discount.  Anyone know what they are charging for a glass of wine these days?  

I believe that $64 is after discount. I also think they add 20% on for gratuities. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will help.

Stay Safe! 

Anyone convince RCI to allow only one person in a stateroom to purchase the package?  My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic and doesn't drink as it throws off her blood glucose levels but I enjoy beer and bourbon/whiskey.  Right now forcing 2 packages for 1 drinker on a 7-day, 2 port cruise (Coco Cay is a sea day in my eyes since benefits carry over there) is a lot more than I would be able to consume to make the math work.  

1 hour ago, phlydude said:

Anyone convince RCI to allow only one person in a stateroom to purchase the package?  My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic and doesn't drink as it throws off her blood glucose levels but I enjoy beer and bourbon/whiskey.  Right now forcing 2 packages for 1 drinker on a 7-day, 2 port cruise (Coco Cay is a sea day in my eyes since benefits carry over there) is a lot more than I would be able to consume to make the math work.  

You can call RC and explain that your wife doesn't drink for medical reasons.  Then they typically will allow you to purchase the Deluxe and they will have your wife purchase the Refreshment package.  It happens quite a bit, but if you happen to get a phone operator who tells you no, just hang up and call back to get someone different.

• Like 1

We are Diamond plus so get 5 vouchers a day.  Just got off Explorer where we were in port every day.  Still get the package, always do.  Between specialty coffees, water, soda, mimosas for breakfast and drinks when we get back on the ship the package totally pays for itself.  Would never cruise without it anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

We are Diamond plus so get 5 vouchers a day.  Just got off Explorer where we were in port every day.  Still get the package, always do.  Between specialty coffees, water, soda, mimosas for breakfast and drinks when we get back on the ship the package totally pays for itself.  Would never cruise without it anymore.

We skipped package for first time , since we are diamond plus and in suite where drinks don’t count against the five .also had UDP which gives us a 40 percent discount on wine bottles under a hundred.

1 hour ago, George C said:

We skipped package for first time , since we are diamond plus and in suite where drinks don’t count against the five .also had UDP which gives us a 40 percent discount on wine bottles under a hundred.

Am Diamond Plus and just came off Adventure and the drinks in the Diamond Lounge did count for the 5....they swiped my card every time....

Regarding cocktail menu - it's really just a regular bar.  They will (try to) make whatever you request.  The menus are available for ideas.

Roughly speaking - something like a rum and coke (or beer) is $8 + 18%.   A margarita or other fancy drink would be $13 + 18%.

Also, the package prices change in the pre-cruise planner quite frequently.  Watch for the bottom line price to drop.  You can always cancel and repurchase w/ no penalty (except for the 7-14 days for the $$ to get refunded to your card).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bobr118 said:

Add the package to your cart. If you look at the checkout, you'll see the real total price (gratuities and all) in black and white. 

• Like 1

Beers will cost you about $9 or $10. Cocktails will cost about $12-15. Wine by the glass is about the same as cocktails. All those are prices that include gratuities. Figure out what you likely will spend per day on average. Be liberal, as you likely will drink more than normal. (You're platinum, so you know that). Subtract that number from the per day cost of the package (after adding gratuities).

If you're going to be drinking bottled water, specialty coffee (other than Starbucks) and soft drinks to the point you would be interested in the Refreshment package (which just about everyone will), subtract that cost from the cost of the package. Even if you wouldn't do the Refreshment package, you need to figure some number out and subtract that. 

If you come up with a negative number, go for the package. If you're anywhere close to zero, it's still probably a good idea. That gives you freedom to try things without worrying about the cost. 

Most likely, you'll find that you only need to get a few alcoholic drinks per day (on average) to make the package make sense. 

Like another poster, we are D+ and still get the package. After backing out the Refreshment package cost and our D+ drinks, we still often can get the Deluxe Package at a cost that comes close enough to a wash that convenience, freedom, and other little intangibles make it worthwhile. 

One point no one has mentioned, unless I missed it, if you are a beer drinker, most beers on RCI ships (at least the 4 I have been on this year)  are now 12 ounces instead of 16 ounces. Of course the price hasn’t changed. 

As others have stated, ultimately you are the only one who can decide if the package is right for you. I would like to reiterate what has been previously mentioned, the package includes a lot more than just alcohol. Another factor to consider, which is one reason why we always get the deluxe drink package, is I like knowing the total cost of the cruise before I board the ship. Over the years I have met more than a few couples who didn’t buy any drink package and had a large bill by the end of the cruise due to alcohol purchases.

9 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

Also, the package prices change in the pre-cruise planner quite frequently.  Watch for the bottom line price to drop.  You can always cancel and repurchase w/ no penalty (except for the 7-14 days for the $$ to get refunded to your card).

On roll calls I read where on the Navigator's Nov 19 and 29 sailings the DBP dropped to $44/day two-three weeks before sailing.  Our Feb 21 sailing the price goes from $74 to $64.  (The 30% is off some "imaginary" on board number).  So keep checking if you think the package is a good deal for you.

Or CatLuvsH2O- Buy the drink package quick before the price goes up AGAIN.  Got an Email about the holiday sale, so checked it out and on our sailing the DBP went from $64 to $73.  

Hey RCCL usually a sale means the price goes down, not up 😞