Concerned but ready to go

vandy

I think all the posts above make a lot of sense.  It's up to you to follow safety protocols, and maybe enforce your own personal ones in your group.

I've flown roundtrip on long flights 3 times since May 2021 with no problems, and I tested myself at home after the last trip the first week of November (negative results).

When I cruise next month I plan on not spending a lot of time in venues with a lot of people, in spite of RCCL's protocols.  Which, by the way, appear to be working extremely well.

I will spend a lot of time out on deck, in near empty lounges reading during the day, etc.  I also like late seating for dinner, as there are usually fewer people in the dining areas.  It will just add an extra layer of health safety in my opinion. 

I wear masks all the time here at home (County mandate for indoor activities, and almost all businesses require them here).  I will practice this on my cruises, too.

Take small bottles of hand sanitizer wherever you go, and use them frequently.  Every time I come home from being out, I either wash or sanitize my hands, because we become distracted and forget what we've touched.  So, I clean my hands when coming from the outside.  I'll do this every time I come into the cabin, too.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandy said:

We are driving from TN. 

I have felt comfortable with the protocols up too now and proceeded with our plans.  The virus spreading so quickly now and among the vaccinated has me concerned though.  It is not bad where I am, but passengers are from all over, of course. 

It seems likely that there will be a lot more cases onboard as people can be exposed in the window after testing.  We really want to go & are still planning to do so. We sail this Sunday. 

Does anyone else find the Explorer situation concerning ? Isn’t the crew fully vaccinated? It seems strange that they are catching it onboard. 

As previously mentioned, I would be more concerned with disruptions and/or testing positive right before cruising, but as you are driving some the issues resulting from a last minute positive test are less of a problem than it is for those who fly.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about my health once on the ship, but that is just me.

I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise, if that is what you decide to do.

6 hours ago, vandy said:

When and how would protocols likely change? 

Concerning that fully vaxxed crew has numerous cases on the Explorer. 

Protocol changes are only a guess at this time. And the crew encounters the passengers all the time. They are at a higher risk than passengers from catching it, because of all the interactions. Think of your grocery store workers infected so early in Covid.  The same can happen to the crew.

Only you can decide your risk tolerance. Personally, I would sail again this week if I could. But we take precautions, and will not lock our lives back down again. 🙂 Our risk tolerance is higher than some, lower than others. We drove from TN as well, because we didn’t want changed/cancelled flights to get in the way of sailing.

I wish you well.

We cruised back in August and felt very safe. Having said that it was from a local port so no flying or staying in hotels before.

I think the protocols on board were very safe and as good as they could be. 

12 hours ago, vandy said:

No hate please…. Just trying to make good decisions.  We are sailing this Sunday with older parents.  We are all boosted but getting nervous about the growing cases amongst the vaccinated & the predictions of case numbers by Christmas Day. Not living In fear, but also don’t want to be foolish.  
I’d love to hear other opinions on the safety of sailing at this time.  I felt really good about it all until the numbers started growing at this rate.  Thank you.  

If you are all vaccinated, boostered (just an option, not a requirement everyone), tested negative before sailing (AS DID EVERYONE ELSE) I'd be less concerned on a ship rather than going to church, the mall, a holiday gathering.  It's this continuing mindset from March 2020 about the cruise ships.  I would be more worried bringing my 86 year old mother to a large wedding with unknown variants then a cruise ship where they are so much more careful.  

As someone mentioned/ask, isn't ALL of RCL crew vaccinated, which I believe they are. I just read of the 7 I believe that got the virus on the Explorer which we are to do in 3 weeks. I am over 75 with everyone younger, but I'm in pretty good health. I have had my two Pfizer's and the booster today. I KNOW doing this is to KEEP us away from getting anything, but as we know, these shots don't always do it, but I do believe it keeps us from getting sicker, than someone who has NOT been vaccinated.

We are also sailing in January- we are "healthy"  young seniors, and will practice covid protocols.  We are both vaccinated and have had our boosters.  We definately will go on the cruise.  I believe if you put  things off until another time, no perfect time will exist.  We do hope to be alive and well in the future- but who knows if we will be able to sail again  in the future-

Do what makes you feel comfortable-

Royal was increasing capacity especially during the Holiday sailings. Heard those sailings are at 80% capacity.  This will have a impact on social distancing , entertainment and dining. This makes me nervous about the sailing given Omicron and seeing how fast it spreads....

I know several people who have been diagnosed with Covid in the last few days, all fully vaccinated and boosted.  It is likely Omicron because all symptoms are mild and consist of runny nose and fatigue.

Unless you are so medically fragile that you probably should not cruise at all, live your life.  The reality is that almost everyone is going to get covid as vaccines do not prevent it, but as long as you're not severely ill or dead all is well.  Covid is never going away and this pandemic will end only when enough of us decide that we have to live with the virus.

Edited by alwaysflyin
  • Like 3

Until the other day, I had no concerns about going on my New Year’s Eve cruise. Now I’m incredibly anxious about making sure I don’t get Covid before my cruise considering the transmission rate today. I am also concerned about having force isolation in an inside cabin. Not a big deal to me to wear masks in inside spaces. 

We just got back from a cruise on Sunday (Oasis).

I DID NOT feel safer on board than I do at the grocery store. There wasn't physical distancing and many people had no idea how to wear a mask. I was disturbed at how closely MDR tables were to each other. We only watched shows for the vaccinated but there was no spacing between parties and people weren't wearing masks. I gather that rule has now changed and you have to wear a mask indoors unless you are actively eating or drinking.

Mind you, I live in Canada and we are required to wear masks everywhere. Being in Miami where masks are optional was surreal.

It was emerging news as we boarded that being double vaxxed (or even boostered) means nothing for the Omnicron variant. It certainly didn't seem like many others were aware of this detail.

The actual boarding process was a chaotic mess. I think that was because people were not respecting the constant reminders we received to only show up at our respective boarding time. The inability of so many of my fellow passengers to follow that simple guideline started me off uncomfortable. It's not like they didn't text us reminders that day not to show up early.

It is now obvious that we were/are not ready to travel - at least not in the United States. If our cruise had been set to leave this past Sunday or this coming Sunday we would have cancelled based on all the new information about Omnicron.

This is, obviously, just how my family personally feels. Others seem to be perfectly comfortable. I think you have to make a decision based on your personal comfort level.

1 hour ago, canadian girl 77 said:

We just got back from a cruise on Sunday (Oasis).

I DID NOT feel safer on board than I do at the grocery store. There wasn't physical distancing and many people had no idea how to wear a mask. I was disturbed at how closely MDR tables were to each other. We only watched shows for the vaccinated but there was no spacing between parties and people weren't wearing masks. I gather that rule has now changed and you have to wear a mask indoors unless you are actively eating or drinking.

Mind you, I live in Canada and we are required to wear masks everywhere. Being in Miami where masks are optional was surreal.

It was emerging news as we boarded that being double vaxxed (or even boostered) means nothing for the Omnicron variant. It certainly didn't seem like many others were aware of this detail.

The actual boarding process was a chaotic mess. I think that was because people were not respecting the constant reminders we received to only show up at our respective boarding time. The inability of so many of my fellow passengers to follow that simple guideline started me off uncomfortable. It's not like they didn't text us reminders that day not to show up early.

It is now obvious that we were/are not ready to travel - at least not in the United States. If our cruise had been set to leave this past Sunday or this coming Sunday we would have cancelled based on all the new information about Omnicron.

This is, obviously, just how my family personally feels. Others seem to be perfectly comfortable. I think you have to make a decision based on your personal comfort level.

I felt the same way about the shows, WJ and MDR on Independence. We had a great boarding experience though.  Wish the new mask policy was in effect last week. Mom was thinking of a February cruise and I suggested she wait. 

Edited by mawvkysc

On 12/16/2021 at 7:10 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

Wowza! Some guys on my hockey team and I are supposed to be in Montreal for the Habs-Leafs game Jan 6, not even sure if that will happen at this point sadly. 

Did you get a refund for your New Years cruise?

I hope your a Leafs fan?

• Like 1