Here's a policy I WISH they had.............

Travelers56

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

It’s a table of 12 people having fun in a large dining room.  Perhaps one who does not like this could slip a $20 to the host and let them know that you prefer to be in a quiet corner amongst smaller tables.

This is exactly what I mean.  If I had a large party and knew we would be noisy, I would be the one to ask the maitre d' to seat us out of the way in a corner where we wouldn't disturb others.  I wouldn't expect other patrons to have to figure out a way to work around us.

Again, something you can't fix if if it's not in people's nature to be considerate of others.

Edited by pcakes122
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, suometar said:

PEOPLE,  get over it!!! It is one dinner!!  Over and done with!!!

OP was having "a special dinner"....not just one dinner.  Why should he have to put up with other people's inconsiderateness?  If this happened in the buffet....I'd agree about getting over it.  But Cagney's is promoted as upscale.  Their behavior was not upscale.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

OP was having "a special dinner"....not just one dinner.  Why should he have to put up with other people's inconsiderateness?  If this happened in the buffet....I'd agree about getting over it.  But Cagney's is promoted as upscale.  Their behavior was not upscale.

I agree that their behavior was not "upscale." But asking them to suddenly, miraculously become "upscale" is bound to misfire, potentially creating an even worse situation. As a previous poster commented, "you can't fix stupid."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brianluck said:

Norwegian is a step above carnival but it's still a budget friendly family fun cruise environment. If you want the feel of  being upscale and not having people vocally express joy book that style cruise. 

There are boorish and ill-mannered people on every line unfortunately including "upscale" lines.

31 minutes ago, suometar said:

I agree that their behavior was not "upscale." But asking them to suddenly, miraculously become "upscale" is bound to misfire, potentially creating an even worse situation. As a previous poster commented, "you can't fix stupid."

I don't want to sound like I'm defending their behavior (I'm not)...but they really may not have know how loud etc they were.  Asking politely can go a long way.  Again, you need to assess the group you're asking.

We were in a restaurant (wine bar) a year or so pre-pandemic...and there was a loud group.  Asking nicely worked. (Although next time we went we sat in the room without large tables.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Then again we enjoy seeing people/families having so much fun together.

I do, too. As long as they are being considerate and are allowing me to have fun also.

I just got off the Gem this past week.  I'm disabled and it limits the types of activities I can do on a cruise. One of they key reasons I cruise is to relax on my balcony and read or do needlework while listening to the sounds of the ocean. The NCL Special Needs team had even customized a lounge chair in advance to accommodate my disability, and I was really looking forward to using it.

However, the couple next door spent alot of time on their balcony each day LOUDLY "eff-ing" and complaining about everything and anything from cruise prices, the menu, Covid protocols, the room steward, politics - you name it.  We were in aft-facing cabins so they made sure to practically shout at each other over the sound of the wake.

It was disappointing, but I spent most of my time inside. 

(No,  I didn't say anything to them however I did clear my throat once or twice during pauses in their conversation about the room steward just to let them know someone was in earshot. Didn't phase them.)

well, first of all, i am shocked... shocked, i tell you... NCL internet was strong enough to support a facetime call? that's the news flash here! whether basic internet or the so-called premium streaming service... either way, this is shocking!

the OP makes strong points here... and, in my opinion,  this is not about fixing "stupid." it's not stupidity at play here. it's the fact that people no longer have a sense of community or understand the concept of shared public space.

you don't have the right to play kittykat videos on youtube at full volume on a park bench with other people sitting nearby. you just don't. that's why god invented ear buds or headphones. you don't have the right to watch last night's lakers game while on public transport with headphones. you don't have the right to make or take a phone call in the movie theatre or on board an NCL ship while watching "six." (you shouldn't be checking your email or sending a text, either... you should turn the damn phone off for 75 minutes, just like they tell you to before the show.)

and you most definitely don't have the right to make a long and boisterous facetime call during dinner in a quasi-upscale restaurant. the restaurant staff should have intervened immediately.

the call as described would be inappropriate at almost any venue... nobody wants to hear that type of thing. but most people are reasonable... if the call went something like this:

"hey, hi there, just wanted to let you know that the operation was a success! they say that judy will walk again! so that's good news. i thought you'd want to know. listen, we're having dinner and there's a lot of people enjoying their dinner, too... so sorry, you couldn't join us on this trip. but it was probably the right decision. you look great, we'll see you soon... maybe with judy! and we'll celebrate! love you!"

... there is not a single person who would have objected.

but i've heard a fair number of these conversations and they go nothing like that. here's a facetime convo i heard on the breakaway along the waterfront yesterday: 

"yeah, i'm on the ship. the ship. the breakaway. your mom and i are on a cruise ship. yeah. just relaxing. no, we're on the ship NOW. tomorrow. yeah, we're on the ship. tomorrow, we'll be in new orleans. yeah, tomorrow. we're on the ship now. yeah, tomorrow. chicken salad sandwich. and some iced tea. it was good, yeah. no, your mother had spaghetti. no, we're on the ship now. i know! 7 days. it was a little chicken salad and a tomato and some lettuce and a nice roll. no, it was good. we're still on the ship. it's a nice ship. no, we don't get off the ship  till tomorrow. new orleans. we're still on the ship, yeah. chicken salad..."

this went on for twenty minutes or so... that part of the waterfront has chairs and loungers facing the ocean .. it is where people go to think and reflect and maybe read a book. it's completely inappropriate to conduct a facetime call - for twenty minutes - when everybody else around you is quietly reflecting or quietly chatting with each other.

the problem with facetime calls or even phone calls is that people tend to "perform" on them... they believe  they have to shout, either because they don't understand how technology works or because they have crappy equipment and they really do need to shout to be heard. and sometimes they perform just because they have an ego and they want everybody to know how important they are.

and if you're within earshot of one of these calls, everything stops. you cant read your book. you can't continue your conversation with your partner. and that's because the human brain is trained to process information. and when it hears that loud conversation, it has to stop to process it. few people can multitask when a conversation like that is going on near them.

• Like 5

This happens in every restaurant every night. It does not have to be on a cruise ship. I dont even go to concerts anymore because people are texting and talking and taking photos instead of watching the concert.  This has nothing to do with cruising.  This is considered normal today.

Trying to impress their friends/family they are on a cruise and miss them so much they have to facetime with them so the masses can see.  Of course they wont do it in the privacy of their own cabin.  There is no fun in that.  Look what people do in movie theaters now.

This drag queen nails it when she rants about people's antics in a theater.  This meal at Cagneys is good manners compared to this.  Behavior is bad all over the ship, not just in Cagneys.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

well, first of all, i am shocked... shocked, i tell you... NCL internet was strong enough to support a facetime call? that's the news flash here! whether basic internet or the so-called premium streaming service... either way, this is shocking!

the OP makes strong points here... and, in my opinion,  this is not about fixing "stupid." it's not stupidity at play here. it's the fact that people no longer have a sense of community or understand the concept of shared public space.

you don't have the right to play kittykat videos on youtube at full volume on a park bench with other people sitting nearby. you just don't. that's why god invented ear buds or headphones. you don't have the right to watch last night's lakers game while on public transport with headphones. you don't have the right to make or take a phone call in the movie theatre or on board an NCL ship while watching "six." (you shouldn't be checking your email or sending a text, either... you should turn the damn phone off for 75 minutes, just like they tell you to before the show.)

and you most definitely don't have the right to make a long and boisterous facetime call during dinner in a quasi-upscale restaurant. the restaurant staff should have intervened immediately.

the call as described would be inappropriate at almost any venue... nobody wants to hear that type of thing. but most people are reasonable... if the call went something like this:

"hey, hi there, just wanted to let you know that the operation was a success! they say that judy will walk again! so that's good news. i thought you'd want to know. listen, we're having dinner and there's a lot of people enjoying their dinner, too... so sorry, you couldn't join us on this trip. but it was probably the right decision. you look great, we'll see you soon... maybe with judy! and we'll celebrate! love you!"

but i've heard a fair number of these conversations and they go nothing like that. here's a facetime convo i heard on the breakaway along the waterfront yesterday: 

"yeah, i'm on the ship. the ship. the breakaway. your mom and i are on a cruise ship. yeah. just relaxing. no, we're on the ship NOW. tomorrow. yeah, we're on the ship. tomorrow, we'll be in new orleans. yeah, tomorrow. we're on the ship now. yeah, tomorrow. chicken salad sandwich. and some iced tea. it was good, yeah. no, your mother had spaghetti. no, we're on the ship now. i know! 7 days. it was a little chicken salad and a tomato and some lettuce and a nice roll. no, it was good. we're still on the ship. it's a nice ship. no, we don't get off the ship  till tomorrow. new orleans. we're still on the ship, yeah. chicken salad..."

this went on for twenty minutes or so... that part of the waterfront has chairs and loungers facing the ocean .. it is where people go to think and reflect and maybe read a book. it's completely inappropriate to conduct a facetime call - for twenty minutes - when everybody else around you is quietly reflecting or quietly chatting with each other.

the problem with facetime calls or even phone calls is that people tend to "perform" on them... they believe  they have to shout, either because they don't understand how technology works or because they have crappy equipment and they really do need to shout to be heard. and sometimes they perform just because they have an ego and they want everybody to know how important they are.

and if you're within earshot of one of these calls, everything stops. you cant read your book. you can't continue your conversation with your partner. and that's because the human brain is trained to process information. and when it hears that loud conversation, it has to stop to process it. few people can multitask when a conversation like that is going on near them.

Have you signed with a publisher yet?!

48 minutes ago, UKstages said:

We were on the Anthem a few years back by one of the indoor pools reading, and someone sits near us and starts listening to music on their phone, fairly loudly. We were like ummm, can you turn that off or use headphones or something?  She was like “I don’t have headphones.”  That’s  not our problem!   Either she shut it off, or moved, forget which, but either way, to even think of doing that to begin with is pretty shocking!

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, pcakes122 said:

If people didn't grow up in an environment where consideration for others is taught and demonstrated, you unfortunately can't "fix" that - even if the waitstaff said something to them.  For those who think "it's a free country!", etc., well, that is true. However that doesn't mean it's not a nicer world when we consider others before we speak and act.

Well said! Exactly. 

• Like 1