Here's a policy I WISH they had.............

Travelers56

We were on the Breakaway ,  having a special dinner at Cagneys,  about halfway thru our meal,  a large party (12 or so) was seated .

They then proceeded to Face Time someone in the family back home, then passed the phone around the table to each person and SCREAMED into the phone how much they loved them and missed them.

I'm not the type to let other's annoy me -  but it got to be a bit much-  and in my opinion - extremely rude.

Looking back, I wish I had gotten up and said something to the host.

I have been in restaurants (pubs and bars too!)on land that has a policy posted of Please limit cell calls and NO Face Time.

Wish NCL would  do the same!

just venting.........

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Travelers56 said:

We were on the Breakaway ,  having a special dinner at Cagneys,  about halfway thru our meal,  a large party (12 or so) was seated .

They then proceeded to Face Time someone in the family back home, then passed the phone around the table to each person and SCREAMED into the phone how much they loved them and missed them.

I'm not the type to let other's annoy me -  but it got to be a bit much-  and in my opinion - extremely rude.

Looking back, I wish I had gotten up and said something to the host.

I have been in restaurants (pubs and bars too!)on land that has a policy posted of Please limit cell calls and NO Face Time.

Wish NCL would  do the same!

just venting.........

There are no such rules, so nothing to enforce. Everyone is on vacation, enjoying themselves. You could have asked for another table or terminated your meal. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 minutes ago, Travelers56 said:

yes-  looking back-  that is what we should have done

They sound like a boisterous group, as in having and a lot of laughs.  The person on FaceTime if they had been at the table in person seems to me would have been the same, a happy group having a fun time.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

I think a gentle info to the waiter or host would have solved the problem.

They would have asked the party politely to keep it short and/or calm.

You likely weren't the only ones being disturbed from the "sound" of it.

And in some cases, a maitre d' might not act unless/until there is a complaint.  Other times or places they might be more proactive.

GC

• Like 1

I don't think you can blame technology on people being rude and inconsiderate, especially when in a large group. Your gang of 12 would no doubt have been just as loud even if they weren't face timing. And I personally don't think that the poor overworked waitstaff should also act as the noise police. I'm sure that many of us have had the same experience of a loud, boorish party being seated near us, at least we have. Our solution was to finish our entrees, skip dessert and take the rest of our wine to someplace more quiet and civilized.

• Like 4

If people didn't grow up in an environment where consideration for others is taught and demonstrated, you unfortunately can't "fix" that - even if the waitstaff said something to them.  For those who think "it's a free country!", etc., well, that is true. However that doesn't mean it's not a nicer world when we consider others before we speak and act.

• Like 7

As long as they weren't big and scary looking, I'd go over to the table with a nice smile on my face and ask politely.  My husband wouldn't....but he comes from a large family/friends that would be those loud people.

Sometimes people just aren't aware that they're disturbing others.

7 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

If people didn't grow up in an environment where consideration for others is taught and demonstrated, you unfortunately can't "fix" that - even if the waitstaff said something to them.  For those who think "it's a free country!", etc., well, that is true. However that doesn't mean it's not a nicer world when we consider others before we speak and act.

It’s a table of 12 people having fun in a large dining room.  Perhaps one who does not like this could slip a $20 to the host and let them know that you prefer to be in a quiet corner amongst smaller tables.

3 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

I think a gentle info to the waiter or host would have solved the problem.

They would have asked the party politely to keep it short and/or calm.

Why didn't the staff take control immediately? Isn't it the responsibility of the restaurant staff to control the atmosphere in their facility?

Poor management!

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why didn't the staff take control immediately? Isn't it the responsibility of the restaurant staff to control the atmosphere in their facility?

Poor management!

It wasn’t a riot, was a bunch of people having fun, laughing, they were not in church.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

It’s a table of 12 people having fun in a large dining room.  Perhaps one who does not like this could slip a $20 to the host and let them know that you prefer to be in a quiet corner amongst smaller tables.

Totally disagree with paying the host for a different table.  People should know better and how to act and respect other people. What would happen if these were children? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It wasn’t a riot, was a bunch of people having fun, laughing, they were not in church.

Apparently it must be a riot or you must be in church to respect others.

I didn't know you were there to see what went on. Apparently someone was upset to post this. I'm sure it wasn't you. LOL

3 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Totally disagree with paying the host for a different table.  People should know better and how to act and respect other people. What would happen if these were children? 

Not sure what you mean?  If they were children perhaps you can elaborate…

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There are no such rules, so nothing to enforce. Everyone is on vacation, enjoying themselves. You could have asked for another table or terminated your meal. 

Now we need rules on a ship of 

How to act in a restaurant 

How to respect others 

How to eat properly 

LOL

Just now, Oxo said:

The parents would have corrected the children. 

I was out to dinner last night and there were 3 of us.  Table next to us was a group of 8, including what appeared to be 2 under 12 kids.  They were laughing obviously enjoying themselves and took a FaceTime call, that turned out to be from one of their moms, who could not be there to share in their celebration.  We really enjoyed this group having so much fun.  One of my friends went to their table to ask if they wanted some group photos.  Then again we enjoy seeing people/families having so much fun together.

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I was out to dinner last night and there were 3 of us.  Table next to us was a group of 8, including what appeared to be 2 under 12 kids.  They were laughing obviously enjoying themselves and took a FaceTime call, that turned out to be from one of their moms, who could not be there to share in their celebration.  We really enjoyed this group having so much fun.  One of my friends went to their table to ask if they wanted some group photos.  Then again we enjoy seeing people/families having so much fun together.

Great! 

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

Happy Holidays 

If they were being that disruptive, and on facetime (or similar), on my phone I would have started my own facetime conversation and just let it run open (with lots of background changes), which should also cut their bandwidth available.You should know within 2 minutes if their connection starts to have issues.

Edited by WYB!
  • Haha 1

Very simple, slightly evil solution to teach manners - with the ship at sea using satellite "narrow" band, the host can discretely reboot the nearby Cisco routers ... power cycle the WiFi.  Alternatively, get the onboard IT engineer/iCafe manager to "throttle" the speed caching down & trigger "buffering" - "hello, can you hear/see us now ... hello."  Restaurant's POS operates on its own secured network - billing functions not affected. 

Annoying problem solved, at least temporary - OP can finish up the entrees & take the dessert to go.   BTW, if I'm not mistaken, a policy does govern the use of devices inside the theater, however ... 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1