Ordering Covid tests

Emailed Optum today to inquire about the expiration date of the tests they are shipping right now. Answer is below. 

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store, we will be happy to assist you. 

Currently, available test kits may expire as early as February 3, 2022. Please allow up to three business days for delivery

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Emailed Optum today to inquire about the expiration date of the tests they are shipping right now. Answer is below. 

Currently, available test kits may expire as early as February 3, 2022. Please allow up to three business days for delivery

Thanks -- still works for me -- sailing in January.  

On 12/20/2021 at 5:40 PM, SherriZ366 said:

I just ordered 2 through RCI website for January cruise.  Will post the expiration date (extended).  Tracking link says I will get them tomorrow before 8 PM.  

Just got mine about an hour ago.  It has an expiration date of 10-13-2022 (manufactured on 12-3-2021) so it must be new stock.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

ordered 3 on saturday dec 18 from optum, received monday dec 20 with free expedited shipping.  the expiration on all 3 was oct 19 2022

We ordered ours on Thursday the 16th  and they arrived on Saturday the 18th.  They came from Hayward, CA  with an expiration date of October 22nd, 2022.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, imola said:

We ordered ours on Thursday the 16th  and they arrived on Saturday the 18th.  They came from Hayward, CA  with an expiration date of October 22nd, 2022.  

Mine just came today with an expiration of 10-13-2022.  Will be using for a January, 2022 and maybe for other cruises in 2022 (we have 3 more booked but maybe COVID may die down and we won't need to test).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, RosieRoo said:

I ordered 3 kits from Optum on Friday afternoon and received them Monday around 1 pm and all 3 expire 10/2022.     

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Are you sure it’s October 2022 & not 2021?  I want to order for our 1/20/22 & 3/17/22 cruises. If it’s 2022 then I will order tomorrow. Thank you. 

The box for my tests has "2022-10-13" for Ref (which is supposed to be the expiration date); The lot date is "2021-12-03" which is supposed to be the manufacturer (looked up the label information on the internet a little while ago). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Are you sure it’s October 2022 & not 2021?  I want to order for our 1/20/22 & 3/17/22 cruises. If it’s 2022 then I will order tomorrow. Thank you. 

I just double checked mine and definitely says the lot was made on 12-03-2021

and expires on 10-13-2022

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SherriZ366 said:

The box for my tests has "2022-10-13" for Ref (which is supposed to be the expiration date); The lot date is "2021-12-03" which is supposed to be the manufacturer (looked up the label information on the internet a little while ago). 

Wonderful news. Thank you. Was waiting to order wanted my January & March cruises to be covered. Will order two of the 3 test kits then directly from Optum & not EMed. 

5 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Wonderful news. Thank you. Was waiting to order wanted my January & March cruises to be covered. Will order two of the 3 test kits then directly from Optum & not EMed. 

I hope they've gotten rid of old inventory.   The companies manufactured many tests but demand fell off earlier this year when Covid cases fell.  

22 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Your question made me check again.  Yes it says October 13, 2022.  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I ordered 3 kits from Optum on Friday afternoon and received them Monday around 1 pm and all 3 expire 10/2022.     

That’s great. I’m assuming they are just covering themselves in case they have any old inventory by saying they “may expire as early as February 2022”. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:08 AM, rolloman said:

Do not order unless you intend to use them immediately. The set I ordered were already expired and only considered good if used within the next three months of the expiration. Not sure how they get away with selling expired products...

Just got new tests....a 6pk from EMed. Manufactured 12/8/21 and expire 11/20/22

EMed tests.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, imola said:

That's interesting! I didn't know they were local to me. :classic_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Anyone know if they'll ship to Canadians?  This could really help them out.  I'm thinking they could test while onboard the ship on the last day and then have results ready for disembarkation day to fly home to Canada.  

No, they're not available to Canadians. Do you have a friend in the US that you could have them shipped to and then they ship it to you? If you live in Alberta I hear the gov't sent everyone some home test kits

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

No, they're not available to Canadians. Do you have a friend in the US that you could have them shipped to and then they ship it to you? If you live in Alberta I hear the gov't sent everyone some home test kits

I'm in the US so I could receive them for my Alberta Canadian friends perhaps and then ship them to them to use on the last sea day before disembarkation.  That's interesting that they were sent home test kits.  Didn't know.  Thanks for that.

8 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

But what type did they send to folks?  It occurred to me watching the WH announcement yesterday that if they send the OTC version to people that's nice for personal knowledge but it's no good for travel.

10 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Anyone know if they'll ship to Canadians?  This could really help them out.  I'm thinking they could test while onboard the ship on the last day and then have results ready for disembarkation day to fly home to Canada.  

Can Canadians use the rapid test for travel home?  I thought it had to be a pcr.