COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

When you read the above posts, little wonder some of us are critical of PO and not wanting to cruise to Spanish territory. The usual suspects will say they will take their chance and look forward to the adventure of quarantine, low quality hotel and flight back. 

Not nice to read. Bit of an upsetting situation tbh

I hope P and O have something/somebody lined up to make that situation better for the couple in their late 80s. Thats really concerning

Do anything you can to get them the right support molecrochip?

I know you will

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

When you read the above posts, little wonder some of us are critical of PO and not wanting to cruise to Spanish territory. The usual suspects will say they will take their chance and look forward to the adventure of quarantine, low quality hotel and flight back. 

But the same criticism can be applied to the UK, or Portugal, or France etc.  You cannot gurantee that you will be quarantined in a hotel where the staff speak your language. 

How is that the responsibility of P&O ?

Yes, the situation is awful,  but P&O are not the culprits  in  this situation. Write to the Spanish Embassy and demand action.

• Like 3

"A couple in their late 80s being rushed off a ship carrying their own cases followed by people in hazmat suits spraying them"

What on earth is the world coming to?

Thats NOT a criticism of P and O by the way

Just the mad world we currently find ourselves in!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

"A couple in their late 80s being rushed off a ship carrying their own cases followed by people in hazmat suits spraying them"

What on earth is the world coming to?

Thats not a criticism of P and O by the way

Just the mad world we currently find ourselves in!

I can't believe it, but I agree with you! 

Just pure nincompoopery!

Happy Christmas.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But the same criticism can be applied to the UK, or Portugal, or France etc.  You cannot gurantee that you will be quarantined in a hotel where the staff speak your language. 

How is that the responsibility of P&O ?

Yes, the situation is awful,  but P&O are not the culprits  in  this situation. Write to the Spanish Embassy and demand action.

I'm trying to compare the situation to UK

Aren't people coming to UK knowing they have to quarantine before they come here?

Do we have people on holidays here who are unexpectedly getting moved to quarantine hotels?

I don't honestly know the answer to that? 

I've lost track tbh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ardennais said:

You’re just reinforcing the point I made earlier. Another seasoned traveller, willing and able to cope with whatever happens and almost blasé about it all. 

I dont think anyone is ever blase about these type of emergencies, but it is amazing how well we cope when we have to. Despite the worried comments on here about being left on ones own to cope, I doubt that really happens. There is generally someone you can turn to to help sort out problems. Moley has said that P&Os port agents have been delegated to help, and I hope he is right. My only experience of this was when my wife was admitted to hospital in Lanzarote with pneumonia while we were on an Airtours apartment holiday, there were of course resident reps in the hotel I was allocated, but they were kept very busy with regular holidaymakers, but still found time to help us, especially when it came to getting us back to the UK. I have to say I was amazed with how well I navigated the many bumps in the road before we were eventually allowed to board our flight home. But I was a lot younger at the time, so not sure my septagenarian self would cope quite as well as I did 30 years ago.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont think anyone is ever blase about these type of emergencies, but it is amazing how well we cope when we have to. Despite the worried comments on here about being left on ones own to cope, I doubt that really happens. There is generally someone you can turn to to help sort out problems. Moley has said that P&Os port agents have been delegated to help, and I hope he is right. My only experience of this was when my wife was admitted to hospital in Lanzarote with pneumonia while we were on an Airtours apartment holiday, there were of course resident reps in the hotel I was allocated, but they were kept very busy with regular holidaymakers, but still found time to help us, especially when it came to getting us back to the UK. I have to say I was amazed with how well I navigated the many bumps in the road before we were eventually allowed to board our flight home. But I was a lot younger at the time, so not sure my septagenarian self would cope quite as well as I did 30 years ago.

John, the years you have spent travelling will more than have equipped you to deal with any difficulties. 

The ones  that  cannot cope are the 20 and 30 year olds,  who have used  the  internet throughout their lives, and have never made an independent decision based upon their own judgement. 

I can't help but think back to 1970 when I and 3 mates drove to Copenhagen and back in a Ford Consul, with just camping gear and an AA atlas of Europe.  I told my parents I'd try and send a post card to let them know we were OK . We got flooded out, got drunk in the Tivoli Gardens,  and got adopted by a gang of German Hells Angels in Hamburg.  Happy Days   Can you imagine doing that today. 

Apologies to our younger members for being an old fart.

Happy Christmas!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

John, the years you have spent travelling will more than have equipped you to deal with any difficulties. 

The ones  that  cannot cope are the 20 and 30 year olds,  who have used  the  internet throughout their lives, and have never made an independent decision based upon their own judgement. 

I can't help but think back to 1970 when I and 3 mates drove to Copenhagen and back in a Ford Consul, with just camping gear and an AA atlas of Europe.  I told my parents I'd try and send a post card to let them know we were OK . We got flooded out, got drunk in the Tivoli Gardens,  and got adopted by a gang of German Hells Angels in Hamburg.  Happy Days   Can you imagine doing that today. 

Apologies to our younger members for being an old fart.

Happy Christmas!

I don’t think driving to Denmark and visiting Tivoli is quite the example of intrepid travel that you seem to be suggesting. 

I want to give a personal example of normal times.

I know of a case where someone was taken seriously I’ll off the coast of Italy. In the middle of the night, the ship diverted, the local pilot came out, collected the passenger, their partner and an onboard crew member to accompany them. Sadly they later passed away in hospital. 

The crew member stayed for 24 hrs to initially help, then went to rejoin ship at next port of call. Meanwhile Carnival flew out one of their trained support team to assist. That person was there for support, make arrangements and accompanied the passenger back to the U.K.

Meanwhile, a crew member on board, well 2 actually, packed up their belongings on ship ready for return in Southampton.

Another example was in the Caribbean. Passenger was offloaded to hospital with chest pains from a no fly cruise. Situation wasn’t as serious and port agent stayed in contact until arrangements home were confirmed. In this case insurance company helped make arrangements.

This is how the system should work. This is well prepared for and there is a team of support staff, who all do this as needed in addition to their day to day roles. If it’s not following this then it’s due to the pandemic.

I know Carnival House is well aware of each passenger removed from Iona. That’s not to make light of the situation but to confirm it’s in hand. There is actually a group of people shoreside providing support to the ship regarding its outbreak.

The hazmat suits and carrying your own luggage, with fogging behind you is not great. Even P&O will agree that this is not how they want passengers leaving ship. Unfortunately these are the precautions to protect the other 99.5% of passengers and crew. They should have been able to move at their own speed and if they really could transport their own luggage it would have been handled. I dare say they were asked if they could and said yes trying to be obliging. The crew try not to let infected passengers stop and wait between the quarantine cabin and the outside world as it increases chance of virus particle buildup in one area.

One final point, positive passengers are often moved in the middle of the night as it’s an operation that requires moving an infected person through a non quarantined zone. In the middle of the night there is hardly any passengers around to bump into. It also allows crew to fog and clean surfaces behind the passenger without other passengers getting in the way. Ideal? Far from it, but safer for the other 99.5%.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I know of a case where someone was taken seriously I’ll off the coast of Italy. In the middle of the night, the ship diverted, the local pilot came out, collected the passenger, their partner and an onboard crew member to accompany them. Sadly they later passed away in hospital. 

The crew member stayed for 24 hrs to initially help, then went to rejoin ship at next port of call. Meanwhile Carnival flew out one of their trained support team to assist. That person was there for support, make arrangements and accompanied the passenger back to the U.K.

Meanwhile, a crew member on board, well 2 actually, packed up their belongings on ship ready for return in Southampton.

Another example was in the Caribbean. Passenger was offloaded to hospital with chest pains from a no fly cruise. Situation wasn’t as serious and port agent stayed in contact until arrangements home were confirmed. In this case insurance company helped make arrangements.

This is how the system should work. This is well prepared for and there is a team of support staff, who all do this as needed in addition to their day to day roles. If it’s not following this then it’s due to the pandemic.

I know Carnival House is well aware of each passenger removed from Iona. That’s not to make light of the situation but to confirm it’s in hand. There is actually a group of people shoreside providing support to the ship regarding its outbreak.

The hazmat suits and carrying your own luggage, with fogging behind you is not great. Even P&O will agree that this is not how they want passengers leaving ship. Unfortunately these are the precautions to protect the other 99.5% of passengers and crew. They should have been able to move at their own speed and if they really could transport their own luggage it would have been handled. I dare say they were asked if they could and said yes trying to be obliging. The crew try not to let infected passengers stop and wait between the quarantine cabin and the outside world as it increases chance of virus particle buildup in one area.

One final point, positive passengers are often moved in the middle of the night as it’s an operation that requires moving an infected person through a non quarantined zone. In the middle of the night there is hardly any passengers around to bump into. It also allows crew to fog and clean surfaces behind the passenger without other passengers getting in the way. Ideal? Far from it, but safer for the other 99.5%.

Hi Molecrochip

You are a great PR guy for P and O. Excellent.

That's not a dig that's genuine. 

Is this your job? PR for P and O. Or do you have another job?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Swanseasailor said:
WHEN A LUXURY CRUISE BECOMES YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE
Going on any holiday during COVID was always going to be different and for many the risks associated with travelling during a pandemic are not worth the potential rewards. But the reality for myself and my husband who tested positive for COVID on Tuesday has surpassed our worst nightmares.
Travelling on P&O’s newest ship Iona for their Christmas and New Year cruise 18th December through to 3rd January we were assured that the necessary COVID protocols were in place and felt as loyal P&O customers that they would look after their guests should anything happen.
All passengers aboard, aged over 12 were given an antigen test regardless of symptoms during our 4th day aboard. We were tested deck by deck during the day and went to bed assuming that all was well.
We were woken in the middle of the night with a call from the medical team to say that my husband had tested positive and would need a follow up PCR to confirm, which they were on their way to complete. Once that confirmed his positive COVID status we were given about an hour to pack and were moved to an isolation cabin up on deck 15 in the early hours.
Life aboard in isolation was ok, if a bit frustrating as we were given little or no information about what was going to be happening next, other than that we would be removed from the ship and transferred to an isolation hotel in Tenerife on Thursday. But I do question the logic of both my husband and I being in the same cabin with no access to cleaning materials so that I could at least attempt to stay safe.
We spent the next day that the ship docked in Madeira watching the world go by from our balcony, chatting to the other guests also in quarantine following a positive COVID test and started the process of contacting our insurers. If only this could have been how we spent the rest of the cruise!
We were contacted by the medical team on arrival in Tenerife to say that they would start to transfer us by taxi to our quarantine hotel from 1pm, but still no details on the actual hotel. I think it was the lack of information that was frustrating and worried me the most.
We were told to order an early lunch so that we would be ready to leave at short notice. By the time lunch arrived, although I was concerned that this might be the last decent meal, I was too anxious to eat.
Still no detail on where we were going, but eventually some of the guests were asked to put their luggage outside and one of our fellow quarantiners who had said he wasn’t leaving the ship until he knew where he was being taken was told that the hotel would be the Occidental Santa Cruz Contempraneo – depending on where you room was in the hotel, potentially not too shabby from a quick Google.
Eventually we started to move, with the understandably humiliating accompanying crew in hazmat suits spraying us as we walked. Followed by the rather comical automated ‘Goodbye’ as they scanned our cruise card as we left the ship.
This is where the nightmare began, we obviously had low expectations, but we did hope that we would be able to have some decent ventilation, be treated like human beings and be provided with adequate food and something to drink.
But the quarantine hotel is more like a prison camp than a hotel. And again, we are both in the same room with no access to cleaning materials which makes the prospect of me contracting COVID inevitable and then enduring a further period of quarantine while I ‘serve’ my 10 days. Whilst the goody bag of sweets and crisps appeared a nice touch as we left the ship, perhaps basic COVID supplies like paracetamol, a thermometer, cough drops, edible soup, hot drinks, disinfectant spray, wipes and hand soap would have been more useful.
I understand that I don’t speak Spanish and our ‘captures’ speak little English, but we are already being constantly shouted at when we open our doors, which we are only doing to pick up our food left outside or put the trays back out.
We are fit and well, and I must admit we are finding this a bit of an ordeal, but for one elderly couple who left the ship at the same time as us, I genuinely believe their treatment could lead to something far more serious. The couple, both in their late 80s, were left to carry their own belongings and had to walk at speed half the length of the ship. As a group we are trying to look out for them while they are in our hotel, but that is so difficult because they don’t have a Smartphone and therefore haven’t been able to join our WhatsApp ‘support group’.
We were really pleased to hear that the two families with children had been taken to a fantastic hotel where at least they are comfortable in their room and can get some fresh air on a balcony and seem so far at least to have adequate food and drink supplied. Also, with a better approach of having two connecting rooms so that the person with COVID can be isolated from the rest of the family.
We have been in regular contact with P&O’s care team in Southampton to try to at least arrange some edible food and access to hot water so that we can make a cup of tea, doesn’t seem too much to ask. But today we face the very real prospect of Christmas here unless we stage a mass walk out. We wonder what P&O would do then!

I assume the quarantine hotel must be walking distance from where the ship docks in port? 

14 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Hi Molecrochip

You are a great PR guy for P and O. Excellent.

That's not a dig that's genuine. 

Is this your job? PR for P and O. Or do you have another job?

Thank you.

No, PR is not my job. Carnival is a great organisation and over the years you get to meet wonderful people and understand how things work.

I appreciate in these uncertain times, a little info can help. I have fed back some things but am by no means in a position to influence everything.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I assume the quarantine hotel must be walking distance from where the ship docks in port? 

Just under a mile from the port. Very few balconies though and 2 sides look out on narrow streets and the third side onto a tree lined dual carriageway. No view of the sea

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Thank you.

No, PR is not my job. Carnival is a great organisation and over the years you get to meet wonderful people and understand how things work.

I appreciate in these uncertain times, a little info can help. I have fed back some things but am by no means in a position to influence everything.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Well you would make a brilliant PR spokesperson for P and O should you ever leave your current role ! 

Merry Christmas!

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

First things first, Merry Christmas. Now the moan!  The description of what happens in normal times with one sick passenger whilst full and correct isn't really relevant with covid.  I too was on a Caribbean cruise (a fly one) where a young man had a massive heart attack as we sailed into Antigua. The hospital there could not deal with such a serious problem and a helicopter was called to transfer him to Guadeloupe because apparently the French islands have full medical facilities whereas most others don't. He spent 4 weeks in hospital after stents were inserted and M&S insurance covered him and his wife for a final bill approaching £60,000. I still keep in touch with them. 

Let's compare that to Swanseasailor and her companions. She is not positive tested which means a possible fight with her insurance company.  Telephone calls will need to be made, her provider may not offer European roaming free anymore after Brexit (this will be particularly relevant 1 January 2022). So more difficulty in having to try to reach your provider to purchase an add on, all while stressed and worrying your husband is ill. Does the hotel offer proper WiFi, if so who's picking up their bill, for sure the insurance company won't cover that.  She has the language barrier, most likely limited staff at hand in the hotel due to Christmas. If the numbers suggested are correct you can multiply these simple issues many times. If, as seems likely, the form of arrangement for families to be in one room, leads her to also contract covid the period will extend to at least 10 days more from the date she tests positive. On these facts alone there is absolutely no comparison with the far more serious problems outlined by you and I.

I accept the risks are known by a few such as those on these boards, we've spelt them out to each other very clearly in outrageous technicolour, Swanseasailor amongst them. However there are many many others such as the octagenerian couple in Tenerife who have absolutely no clue because the cruise lines in their wisdom are not telling the world how the Spanish in particular will deal with these issues.

There have been enough quarantined passengers of ships now for the cruise lines to know what to expect.  If they wish to continue to sail to those Spanish ports they surely should be in urgent conversations with the authorities there to insist their passengers can be properly assisted by them.  If not perhaps they should look elsewhere to ports who will respect the basic needs of human beings. 

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

First things first, Merry Christmas. Now the moan!  The description of what happens in normal times with one sick passenger whilst full and correct isn't really relevant with covid.  I too was on a Caribbean cruise (a fly one) where a young man had a massive heart attack as we sailed into Antigua. The hospital there could not deal with such a serious problem and a helicopter was called to transfer him to Guadeloupe because apparently the French islands have full medical facilities whereas most others don't. He spent 4 weeks in hospital after stents were inserted and M&S insurance covered him and his wife for a final bill approaching £60,000. I still keep in touch with them. 

Let's compare that to Swanseasailor and her companions. She is not positive tested which means a possible fight with her insurance company.  Telephone calls will need to be made, her provider may not offer European roaming free anymore after Brexit (this will be particularly relevant 1 January 2022). So more difficulty in having to try to reach your provider to purchase an add on, all while stressed and worrying your husband is ill. Does the hotel offer proper WiFi, if so who's picking up their bill, for sure the insurance company won't cover that.  She has the language barrier, most likely limited staff at hand in the hotel due to Christmas. If the numbers suggested are correct you can multiply these simple issues many times. If, as seems likely, the form of arrangement for families to be in one room, leads her to also contract covid the period will extend to at least 10 days more from the date she tests positive. On these facts alone there is absolutely no comparison with the far more serious problems outlined by you and I.

I accept the risks are known by a few such as those on these boards, we've spelt them out to each other very clearly in outrageous technicolour, Swanseasailor amongst them. However there are many many others such as the octagenerian couple in Tenerife who have absolutely no clue because the cruise lines in their wisdom are not telling the world how the Spanish in particular will deal with these issues.

There have been enough quarantined passengers of ships now for the cruise lines to know what to expect.  If they wish to continue to sail to those Spanish ports they surely should be in urgent conversations with the authorities there to insist their passengers can be properly assisted by them.  If not perhaps they should look elsewhere to ports who will respect the basic needs of human beings. 

I don’t disagree but you’re assuming the cruise lines aren’t having these conversations. I suspect strongly that those conversations are happening as Carnival have made a point of telling their staff how they are talking to local authorities in every destination they visit.

I suspect that it’s a situation of what’s being promised in the destinations, and what’s being delivered, being out of sync. That requires troubleshooting and can only happen once issues are identified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

I don’t think driving to Denmark and visiting Tivoli is quite the example of intrepid travel that you seem to be suggesting. 

No I agree. I did the same trip in a Triumph mayflower. Now that WAS an adventure.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I don’t disagree but you’re assuming the cruise lines aren’t having these conversations. I suspect strongly that those conversations are happening as Carnival have made a point of telling their staff how they are talking to local authorities in every destination they visit.

I suspect that it’s a situation of what’s being promised in the destinations, and what’s being delivered, being out of sync. That requires troubleshooting and can only happen once issues are identified.

I agree with one very big BUT and that is this has been happening for months, maybe not on this scale but certainly enough for the cruise lines to know there's a problem.  These talks should be well enhanced by now and certainly not just beginning.  As an industry they should have been proactive. If I as one individual can have been looking for potential problems and asking questions surely all the brains of the cruise lines should have been in front of me? They didn't even realise the insurance problem existed until I told them and yet they had made arrangements with a preferred provider.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

l

I will take my chance and.

look forward to the adventure of quarantine, low quality hotel and flight back. 

Can I just suggest that those posters who take delight in slagging off Moley, just take a breath. 

He is just trying to explain the corporate position regarding Covid, quarantine etc.

You might not like the position adopted by P&O or the Spanish authorities,  but for goodness sake,  do not attack Moley when he explains the rationale behind the decisions made. 

Why not contact P&O direct, rather than attack an employee who is merely explaining what is happening?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Can I just suggest that those posters who take delight in slagging off Moley, just take a breath. 

He is just trying to explain the corporate position regarding Covid, quarantine etc.

You might not like the position adopted by P&O or the Spanish authorities,  but for goodness sake,  do not attack Moley when he explains the rationale behind the decisions made. 

Why not contact P&O direct, rather than attack an employee who is merely explaining what is happening?

Nobody is attacking moley that I can see?