COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

I previously mentioned my friend on the current QM2 cruise. I had a text from them today. They are aware of 'a few passengers and crew isolating', but they don't seem to have any knowledge of the passengers that were offloaded in New York or if any people were transferred to QV.  There are generally enjoying the cruise.

I can't help thinking that Cunard are being economical with the information given to passengers - but for passengers who don't go online, they will probably just accept what they are told.

I haven't said anything to them about what has been said on forums and social media, I'll wait until they return  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

There are generally enjoying the cruise

And surely that is the main thing.  What is gained by giving out additional information,  given that there is nothing that individuals can do with the information ? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And surely that is the main thing.  What is gained by giving out additional information,  given that there is nothing that individuals can do with the information ? 

If a person has full information, they can make informed choices.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Wowz have you honestly spent your life being unaware and naive of everything happening around you? 

Be honest?

Don't you trust yourself well enough to be well informed?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I previously mentioned my friend on the current QM2 cruise. I had a text from them today. They are aware of 'a few passengers and crew isolating', but they don't seem to have any knowledge of the passengers that were offloaded in New York or if any people were transferred to QV.  There are generally enjoying the cruise.

I can't help thinking that Cunard are being economical with the information given to passengers - but for passengers who don't go online, they will probably just accept what they are told.

I haven't said anything to them about what has been said on forums and social media, I'll wait until they return  

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Reading Dermotsgirl post I think Wowzz was responding to her actions of saying nothing 

until her friends get home and I do agree .

If a person has full information, they can make informed choices but in this personal 

situation .I see nothing that would be gained telling them in the above situation .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Wowz have you honestly spent your life being unaware and naive of everything happening around you? 

Be honest?

Don't you trust yourself well enough to be well informed?

But it makes no difference, when I can't do anything about the information I am given !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But it makes no difference, when I can't do anything about the information I am given !

When we were in Spain in October, the only information that we needed was to do with the need to implement plan C. Get home if we needed to, otherwise just enjoy our holiday.

Hot off the press from Britannia!! We have today released 6 passengers who have been isolating in balcony cabins following sharing a table with a single lady who is positive.  She remains quarantined alone on a separate deck.  None of the six who have been in isolation have at any point been anything other than negative.  The solo lady apparently tested positive in St Vincent.  

Speaking to one of the released passengers who we hadn't realised was missing she confirmed they were moved at around 9.00pm in a very civilized manner - no spraying or hazmat suits for the negative tested.  

They had to eat from the room service menu.  Apparently they are going to be compensated for the missed part of the cruise.

The lady in isolation is still testing positive apparently so we may see our first offload in Barbados.

We are alongside Azura who is sharing a dock with Crystal Serenity.  We saw an ambulance leaving that dock at lunchtime but unsure from which ship their incumbent was. Again no hazmats or anything so possibly not covid related.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Hot off the press from Britannia!! We have today released 6 passengers who have been isolating in balcony cabins following sharing a table with a single lady who is positive.  She remains quarantined alone on a separate deck.  None of the six who have been in isolation have at any point been anything other than negative.  The solo lady apparently tested positive in St Vincent.  

Speaking to one of the released passengers who we hadn't realised was missing she confirmed they were moved at around 9.00pm in a very civilized manner - no spraying or hazmat suits for the negative tested.  

They had to eat from the room service menu.  Apparently they are going to be compensated for the missed part of the cruise.

The lady in isolation is still testing positive apparently so we may see our first offload in Barbados.

We are alongside Azura who is sharing a dock with Crystal Serenity.  We saw an ambulance leaving that dock at lunchtime but unsure from which ship their incumbent was. Again no hazmats or anything so possibly not covid related.

That is much better news than previously MB, do you know if any of them, or anyone else, has been asked to disembark, or are all quarantined passengers  now being allowed to stay on board?

The QM2 cruise is over

Per social media, the captain has announced that the cruise can’t continue any further.

The text of the written notification to passengers has also been posted and it looks genuine enough.

pax will get a full refund or 125% FCC.

QM2 will anchor off Barbados for an unspecified number of days, as new crew needs to be flown out ( implies a major outbreak).

Americans to be flown home.

Brits to sail back to Southampton when new crew is on board 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

How can I answer that - you haven’t given a situation with supporting data for me to consider 

OK  - you are on a flight. 

The captain informs you that you will be diverting to off load a sick passenger.  No problem and you are aware why you are off schedule. All is well, and you relax. 

Or, you are on a similar flight and the captain informs you that due to head winds, fuel reserves are down to 80%.  What are you going to do with  that information  ?  Ask for a parachute? 

So why do you feel the need to be informed everytime someone tests positive for Covid ?

What difference does it make to you as an individual. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That is much better news than previously MB, do you know if any of them, or anyone else, has been asked to disembark, or are all quarantined passengers  now being allowed to stay on board?

No one has to date been disembarked.  We are due to undergo testing on 30 December for arrival in Barbados and to meet UK government regulations. Anyone testing positive will presumably have to quarantine in Barbados and this will of course include the solo lady in quarantine on board.

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The captain informs you that you will be diverting to off load a sick passenger.  No problem and you are aware why you are off schedule. All is well, and you relax. 

Or, you are on a similar flight and the captain informs you that due to head winds, fuel reserves are down to 80%.  What are you going to do with  that information  ?  Ask for a parachute? 

So why do you feel the need to be informed everytime someone tests positive for Covid ?

We were actually on a flight to Toronto with Air Transat that actually did almost run out of fuel!  An emergency stop at Gandar occurred as a result.  There was a great deal of praying by all on board when the captain announced it!

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I wouldn’t be on a flight as I don’t fly anymore 

However, if I was on a cruise ship and I was kept updated about the numbers of Covid, it would inform my actions. I might avoid the theatre, only eat in alternative dining venues as I’ll more likely to have space than in the MDR. Or I might avoid in door public spaces altogether, and spend most of my time on deck. I might only sit on my balcony and have room service. All these are actions I could take to mitigate risk, depending on the the severity of an outbreak on the ship. 

People do this at home - a lot of people have amended their behaviour as the Omicron wave has increased.

It doesn’t seem too outlandish to do the same on a ship - but it needs accurate information 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, if I was on a cruise ship and I was kept updated about the numbers of Covid, it would inform my actions. I might avoid the theatre, only eat in alternative dining venues as I’ll more likely to have space than in the MDR. Or I might avoid in door public spaces altogether, and spend most of my time on deck. I might only sit on my balcony and have room service. All these are actions I could take to mitigate risk, depending on the the severity of an outbreak on the ship. 

People do this at home - a lot of people have amended their behaviour as the Omicron wave has increased.

It doesn’t seem too outlandish to do the same on a ship - but it needs accurate information 

So, QM2 is sailing directly back to the UK. What would you  have done differently if you were onboard? 

28 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If all the passengers have the information they may all want to use the speciality restaurants, and you could be squashed in the crush.:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Another shipwide testing sprung on us yesterday on Iona. Sadly several folk herded by folk in hazmats with spray to isolation cabins ready to being taken off. Part of expected life onboard of course currently.

Iona picked up a deceased traveller after someone spotted a life jacket: not from our ship,.but our captain announced the person had been on the water a very long time. Was sad but it was an impressive operation from the ship - and at least if they identify the person the family will get some form of closure.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2