COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sure they are. However having been literally screamed at by a P&O tour guide in St Lucia for allowing some Americans from Crystal Serenity to sit at the opposite end of a table about the evils of track and trace etc I consider it pretty rich if they do allow this.  The TUI staff on the way out told us we are tracked and traced on the plane and cannot move seats as we had to be socially distanced.  We have now had our seat allocation as normal.  If, and I admit it is an if, my thoughts are correct I would expect at the very least the cabins to carry separate ship's passengers in each area and not for mix and match.  It is one thing to travel on an effectively bubbled flight where 2 sets of tests have been done prior to a flight than to actively bring in people who may have been exposed to either strain of covid.

And no, I'm not being paranoid. I reported at the start of my voyage that 7 members of my family had covid.  All were shown to have Delta not Omicron and one is now extremely seriously ill.  

Hope they get well soon!

Like I say don't stress over the flights. 

At this stage at least

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sure they are. However having been literally screamed at by a P&O tour guide in St Lucia for allowing some Americans from Crystal Serenity to sit at the opposite end of a table about the evils of track and trace etc I consider it pretty rich if they do allow this.  The TUI staff on the way out told us we are tracked and traced on the plane and cannot move seats as we had to be socially distanced.  We have now had our seat allocation as normal.  If, and I admit it is an if, my thoughts are correct I would expect at the very least the cabins to carry separate ship's passengers in each area and not for mix and match.  It is one thing to travel on an effectively bubbled flight where 2 sets of tests have been done prior to a flight than to actively bring in people who may have been exposed to either strain of covid.

And no, I'm not being paranoid. I reported at the start of my voyage that 7 members of my family had covid.  All were shown to have Delta not Omicron and one is now extremely seriously ill.  

Sorry to hear your family member is ill - it’s a reminder that Covid can still have serious outcomes.

I totally understand what you are saying.

Britannia has been largely successful in maintaining a low Covid bubble,.

Now it appears that your Britannia bubble may be breached on the airplane home, by passengers from a ship that is known to have a large Covid outbreak, greatly increasing the Britannia passengers’ risk factor. I expect there will be pre boarding testing for the QM2 pax, but we know by now that this isn’t foolproof.

in your situation, I would also be less than impressed

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Taking on extra manning in essential roles means danger of infection during the voyage. They probably have additional officers with a masters certificate so will be OK if the captain keels over but what about engineering, medicine etc.

Not many comments on the Cunard boards yet but the USA should all be asleep.

I see QM2 is still alongside but may have to move today as 2 cruise ships are approaching and Norwegian epic looks as if it will only fit in the berth occupied by QM2

Glad I got my cruise sorted and wonder if P&O will pause cruising for a few weeks.

Ditto. I was very pleasantly surprised when P&O agreed to rearrange my forthcoming cruise less than 2 weeks before sailing, but wonder whether this might have been influenced by the possibility that cruises might be suspended until Omicron abates. If this should happen, it would be more in their interests for passengers to have transferred their booking and payments than to have to refund the latter if the cruise is cancelled.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I will of course remain my normal optimistic self!  My concerns are based on my own devils advocate of course and may not come to pass.  

Are you not slightly tempted by a cruise back to Southampton on Queen Mary?

Assuming they can get control of Covid next few days whilst they pause?

Which surely they will have to

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just read that letter and I do not like the limited flights to the UK option.  I'm not normally a gambler but my bet is those flights will be on the p&o flights back to UK on those dates.  I will not be a happy bunny if that is indeed their intention and would consider it almost reckless endangerment.  123 came out on our flight and that is what I expect to go back.  Anymore than that and I will be having BIG words with the CEO's office once I return. 

If the regulatory authorities allow planes to run at or near capacity, then I don't see how you can legitimately complain to P&O if they utilize spare capacity to repatriate QM2 passengers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

If the regulatory authorities allow planes to run at or near capacity, then I don't see how you can legitimately complain to P&O if they utilize spare capacity to repatriate QM2 passengers.

I am not planning on complaining.  I am planning on commenting as I have been requested to do by P&O about my entire experience.  I have been in a dialogue with parties for months regarding various issues, some of which I have made these boards party to and others I have not.  I am requested to provide feedback on my experiences both positive and negative.  To date I have found their protocols and service excellent and have felt extremely safe and encouraged other more nervous people on these boards to carry on cruising. 

There is no information regarding whether Cunard passengers will be travelling on any P&O flight.  This is merely my legal and accounting mind clicking into action when the balance sheets make terrible reading for both companies.  

I have a reasonable expectation of safety but nothing is within P&O's control where illness is concerned and only an idiot would blame them if they were to contract covid. I understand that. If however Carnival were to take the decision to mix us with passengers from a known covid source they will not be offering me and the other passengers onboard what we signed up for. Whenever court judgements are made  they state that reasonable risk is something to be taken into account.  The Britannia passengers' "reasonable risk" is that they sail/fly with their fellow travellers.

For all I know I might test positive tomorrow, that will be my bad luck and possibly due to my own behaviour.  If however the scenario of Cunard passengers flying with me happens and my PCR day 2 test comes back positive there will be a serious doubt that positive test came from that source.

I am not involving myself with arguments about my legal rights, right to complain, compensation or any of the other things people on here may choose to quote at me.  I am not interested in anything other than the safe return home of myself and the other passengers on board Britannia.

• Like 2

Hope you have a safe journey home Megabear.

I managed to have a small chat with someone that had been offloaded in Tenerife from Ventura.  The general consensus is the lack of communication and being "dumped", their words.  This must be quite a worry and my main concern about being abroad and not having any clarity on what happens next.  I haven't heard anything else from the family so unsure how it has panned out for them.  

I think going forward, P&O need to try harder in having a plan and some reassurance for any passengers taken off, surely this is not much to ask for ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just read that letter and I do not like the limited flights to the UK option.  I'm not normally a gambler but my bet is those flights will be on the p&o flights back to UK on those dates.  I will not be a happy bunny if that is indeed their intention and would consider it almost reckless endangerment.  123 came out on our flight and that is what I expect to go back.  Anymore than that and I will be having BIG words with the CEO's office once I return. 

Playing devil's advocate here but if it was the other way around and people on a cunard flight didn't want anyone from britannia on their flight how would you feel. Also would you say I will not go on that flight incase I infect others, and make your own way home.

• Thanks 1

@Megabear2 The flights out were all about a third full. The planes had to come out as they had passengers to bring back. The reverse is now true. There is a significant amount more passengers due on Britannia this weekend that are returning home. Therefore the normal number of flights have to fly out and expect to return home 1/3rd full or so (I say, or so as some people do 4 weeks etc.)

This is my own thoughts and based on not actual knowledge. I do wonder whether P&O / Cunard will consolidate P&O flights, especially the multiple flights to Gatwick or Manchester leaving an entirely empty flight to bring Cunard passengers back.

Also understand that crew are being flown out from the UK to Barbados for QM2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Playing devil's advocate here but if it was the other way around and people on a cunard flight didn't want anyone from britannia on their flight how would you feel. Also would you say I will not go on that flight incase I infect others, and make your own way home.

I would feel identical I'm afraid.  I cancelled my Cunard cruise for January because I did not feel comfortable travelling with people of different nationalities who had flown into the UK and crossed from London to Southampton.  I chose to take this cruise as an alternative because of the charter flight bubble which would be bypassed if these other passengers were mixed in with us.

And yes to point 2, I would not want to infect anyone and constantly do not board buses or trains if they are heavily loaded.  I'm particularly careful around the elderly as well and give them plenty of room and time.

I'm not a saint but I do believe in not mixing in cramped or enclosed spaces just in case I'm carrying the disease as much as anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

@Megabear2 The flights out were all about a third full. The planes had to come out as they had passengers to bring back. The reverse is now true. There is a significant amount more passengers due on Britannia this weekend that are returning home. Therefore the normal number of flights have to fly out and expect to return home 1/3rd full or so (I say, or so as some people do 4 weeks etc.)

This is my own thoughts and based on not actual knowledge. I do wonder whether P&O / Cunard will consolidate P&O flights, especially the multiple flights to Gatwick or Manchester leaving an entirely empty flight to bring Cunard passengers back.

Also understand that crew are being flown out from the UK to Barbados for QM2.

I fully understand that and of course it would make a lot of sense.  If other options are made available then great, especially if there are spare aircraft floating around that the 2,000 passengers boarding Britannia on 31/12 and 1/1 are alighting from.  As I understand it only 1 aircraft left each UK airport on 17 and 18 December so any spares could of course be used.  I imagine it would depend on how many Cunard passengers actually can take the flight option.  The day 2 PCR may for instance cause problems with the lack of post for ordering at short notice and bank holiday closures for on site testing.

I could well be over thinking things but that's my line of business, look ahead for potential problems, evaluate them and find solutions before the problem happens.  It has served me well for 66 years and I've no need to consider change at this time.

I've just been told the Cunard passengers will fly on 1 January. I'm also told they will have LFT tests rather than PCR.  Very surprised at the latter, particularly in view of Molecrochip's comments about Omicron getting through those types of tests.

We are getting tested tomorrow at 9.00 am  again lateral flow. I cant help thinking that PCR testing is the better option and helped stop the fly cruises having mass infections.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just been told the Cunard passengers will fly on 1 January. I'm also told they will have LFT tests rather than PCR.  Very surprised at the latter, particularly in view of Molecrochip's comments about Omicron getting through those types of tests.

We are getting tested tomorrow at 9.00 am  again lateral flow. I cant help thinking that PCR testing is the better option and helped stop the fly cruises having mass infections.  

LFT: If its good for Britannia's passengers, its good for QM2s?

Scenic mode: If Cunard go and supply PCRs and then someone is positive they have an additional problem whereas they may get away with the legal minimum of a LFT.

There is one TOM flight to LGW, one VS flight to LHR, and a BA flight to each of LHR and LGW. One TOM flight to each of Manchester and Birmingham also. Friday is the same. BA and Virgin both have one extra flight on Friday and Virgin have an extra on Saturday to EDI.

The four TOM flights are exclusively Carnival Corp charters, so likely plenty of capacity in total.

13 hours ago, molecrochip said:

LFT: If its good for Britannia's passengers, its good for QM2s?

Scenic mode: If Cunard go and supply PCRs and then someone is positive they have an additional problem whereas they may get away with the legal minimum of a LFT.

There is one TOM flight to LGW, one VS flight to LHR, and a BA flight to each of LHR and LGW. One TOM flight to each of Manchester and Birmingham also. Friday is the same. BA and Virgin both have one extra flight on Friday and Virgin have an extra on Saturday to EDI.

The four TOM flights are exclusively Carnival Corp charters, so likely plenty of capacity in total.

I understand what you're saying.  I was actually saying I think all passengers on any Carnival ship should now have a PCR rather than a LFT.  No discrimination from me, safety for all and for the sake of a few quid more I'd rather take the safer option myself.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I understand what you're saying.  I was actually saying I think all passengers on any Carnival ship should now have a PCR rather than a LFT.  No discrimination from me, safety for all and for the sake of a few quid more I'd rather take the safer option myself.

That's what I thought you meant

• Like 1

As I understand it, a LFT within 48 hours of re-entry is currently a UK requirement. Reintroduced to stop/slow the spread of omicron to the UK. It is suggested in today's press that this requirement may soon be removed; there is no point in guarding the stable door now that the horse is happily galloping around the countryside. If it is, it will presumably be up to airlines or cruise companies or the countries from which they are travelling  whether they continue to test before exit.

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

As I understand it, a LFT within 48 hours of re-entry is currently a UK requirement. Reintroduced to stop/slow the spread of omicron to the UK. It is suggested in today's press that this requirement may soon be removed; there is no point in guarding the stable door now that the horse is happily galloping around the countryside. If it is, it will presumably be up to airlines or cruise companies or the countries from which they are travelling  whether they continue to test before exit.

If there is no official requirement,  I can't see cruise lines or air lines requiring it. 

• Like 1