COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Can't speak for P&O, but not on our Princess cruise. I believe P&O only offer testing if a negative test is required by the next port to be visited.

Can't speak for P&O, but not on our Princess cruise. I believe P&O only offer testing if a negative test is required by the next port to be visited.

So what was the reason for the mass testing for the ship before reaching Madeira over Christmas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So what was the reason for the mass testing for the ship before reaching Madeira over Christmas. 

Madeira comes under Portugal's regulations so a negative test is required to go ashore. Anything beyond that would suggest it was a P&O requirement.

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Madeira comes under Portugal's regulations so a negative test is required to go ashore. Anything beyond that would suggest it was a P&O requirement.

So if P&O did it why only on that cruise. All the people on board were tested. 

10 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I have read elsewhere that at least two compulsory tests were done on the Canary Isles cruise on Iona.  Very confusing mixed info.

This is Molecrochip's post on the Cunard board a few minutes ago and the last paragraph may well give a clue ...

"Posted 23 minutes ago

I think one of the most contentious points is that the Cunard text does not explicitly say that the traveller will be liable for the costs if the insurer won’t pay. Thus implying the cruise line will pay.

@Megabear2 @Interestedcruisefan  If I was aware of a family friend who was offloaded by Spanish authorities and were not covered by their insurance for the negative parter, I would like to think the cruise line had assisted. If this had happened and the cruise line had dipped into their own pockets, when they believe contractually they don’t have to, it would almost certainly be and a case by case basis snd subject to a NDA to avoid media/social media coverage. Therefore, I couldn’t tell you, even if I categorically knew.

I can tell you that the care team in Cunard/P&O are at full stretch and additional staff from across the organisation are being trained in the necessary protocols to assist affected customers (and crew)."

15 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So if P&O did it why only on that cruise. All the people on board were tested. 

It wasn't only on that cruise, P&O also sent an email to passengers on the Ventura 3rd Jan 35 night cruise we were booked on stating that extra testing would be carried out before reaching Madeira. I can only guess that this would be so they could disembark any positive cases before the six day run to the Caribbean. There is no info currently posted from the facecloth groups for that cruise to say whether anyone was or wasn't disembarked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

They had only just been tested at Southampton. 

But we know by now that if the person had only recently been infected it wouldn’t show on a LFT.

Four days to Madeira is plenty of time for these new infections to show up, to try to contain the situation 

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Perhaps they did it because they knew whey had an outbreak onboard and wanted to know how far it had spread ? 

No, because passengers were told in advance tgat they would be tested prior to arrival in Madeira. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Perhaps they did it because they knew whey had an outbreak onboard and wanted to know how far it had spread ? 

Unlikely unless it was amongst crew, everyone is tested before embarkation and must test negative, however it is quite clear that some people who test negative before embarkation go on to be positive later. So a further test after a few days should catch some of those, however the speed at which Omicron spreads may mean it is too late, it will be interesting to hear from Ventura passengers once they reach the Caribbean

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I hope Moley can let us know if routine compulsory testing has been stopped. I understand in certain circumstances testing may be necessary, but routine compulsory testing as a matter of course is the big question.

I was of the opinion that there never was routine compulsory testing,  over and above that required by port authorities. 

I was of the opinion that there never was routine compulsory testing,  over and above that required by port authorities. 

What port authorities ?  Portugal require a test if you want to go ashore, not if you stay onboard.  Spain, as seen in Alicante, don't seem to be insisting on one. I have been following social media for months and there has been random compulsory testing. I just want the confusion cleared up by someone who knows. 

15 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I just want the confusion cleared up by someone who knows. 

Reminds me of the X Files - The truth is out there.

Maybe.....

The whole situation appears to have been and continues to be so fluid, it's all a bit difficult to keep track of.

• Haha 1

@molecrochip said this on the Cunard board. 

QM2 was routed back via the Azores too this past week. Very specifically. I would imagine that QM2 will stick to its planned route but there will be a covid test required ahead of calling at Madeira. Any positive cases may likely to cause QM2 to miss Tenerife.

That said, whether there is a different negotiation position when you're homeward bound, I'm not sure. On other cruises, Tenerife has been the first of a number of Spanish territories visited, not the last.

Just asked the question re routine testing on another site, person who was on Christmas cruise, Iona, which visited Canary Isles, said the passengers were all tested twice and told it was a  P & O requirement. 

Have they now changed that policy ?  Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Just asked the question re routine testing on another site, person who was on Christmas cruise, Iona, which visited Canary Isles, said the passengers were all tested twice and told it was a  P & O requirement. 

If I were to go on a cruise at the moment, I would go with the mindset that testing could be required at any time - 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Sounds an excellent idea to test everyone at times as it stops any infection spreading and will greatly reduce the number of contacts who need to isolate.  I would be concerned if extra testing was not done fairly regularly at present.

I would not expect to be charged for a test if it is a cruise line requirement.  Fred have been doing mid cruise tests on their two week cruises, but no cost to passengers.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If I were to go on a cruise at the moment, I would go with the mindset that testing could be required at any time - 

2 minutes ago, tring said:

Sounds an excellent idea to test everyone at times as it stops any infection spreading and will greatly reduce the number of contacts who need to isolate.  I would be concerned if extra testing was not done fairly regularly at present.

Taking into consideration that our next cruise goes in less than five weeks and is a 35 night TA, I would be surprised if there wasn't extra testing irrespective of what the ports of call stipulate.  Especially after ports of call.

• Like 1

It seem that the protocol for offloading of passengers at foreign ports has changed again. The P&O seem to backing off and putting the onus solely on the passengers insurance company. They will fund a phone call to the said insurance company! 
This is from the FAQ today5D8BBDC9-38DF-44C5-B525-EFF4292F74F3.thumb.jpeg.a04d374ad9e3f865600bb8518d469c04.jpeg

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

It seem that the protocol for offloading of passengers at foreign ports has changed again. The P&O seem to backing off and putting the onus solely on the passengers insurance company. They will fund a phone call to the said insurance company! 
This is from the FAQ today5D8BBDC9-38DF-44C5-B525-EFF4292F74F3.thumb.jpeg.a04d374ad9e3f865600bb8518d469c04.jpeg

Don't think thats backing off or anything new

Think thats cruise line speak to try and  let customers know quarantine abroad  is the insurance companies remit/problem and nothing to do with P and O

And if you don't have enough insurance it's a passenger problem and not a P and O problem

We already know negative cases for close contacts aren't covered by insurance 

In which case P and O passengers won't have "adequate insurance" in P and O's words

But thats not to be P and Os problem 

That becomes,a problem for the passenger and the insurance company

It is what it is

Not good 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan