Staying in Orlando, sailing out of Miami!!

nalrudaini

Staying in Orlando, sailing out of Miami!!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should we spend the night in Miami, or just drive from Orlando the morning of the cruise?

• Spend the night in Miami
    • Drive from Orlando in the morning

Hello, and Happy Holidays 🎄

I'm planning a cruise out of Miami in August.  Before the cruise, we will be staying in Orlando.  

Been thinking about whether its best to spend the night in Miami or just stay in Orlando and drive to Miami in the morning.

Edited by nalrudaini

We have done both. Staying in Miami (downtown) is fun with great dining and a short taxi to POM the next morning. Left our hotel near WDW early, drive about 3.5 hours, returned the car and were on the ship by noon.

Your call.

Edited by JohninDC
  • Like 2

Drive down the day before and stay in either the Fort Lauderdale or Miami area. Have a nice dinner, a good nights sleep and be ready for your cruise vacation. Don’t need to get up at the crack of dawn to drive three plus hours for the two hundred forty mile ride  from Orlando to Miami.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would stay in Miami the night before. Safer.

Safer? Made me laugh that Miami is safer than Orlando. I get what you meant, though. Yeah, I wouldn't enjoy a long drive into Miami the morning of a cruise. We're in Miami right now and Versailles is open on Christmas Day. Until midnight! We feasted there today. Life is good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like JohninDC, I have done both. No wrong answer really. I think it comes down to a personal preferance as to how you want to start the cruise? Start after a good nights rest in the Miami area with a short drive to the port, or after a 3.5 hour drive from Orlando.

• Like 1

Another vote for staying in Miami. Recently, we drove from Delray Beach (much further north than Miami) to Sanford (just outside Orlando) to board the Auto Train that day. Even starting farther north, it’s a crappy drive, and you need to get up pretty early and leave yourself time in case of accidents, etc.  Our schedule did not permit us to stay in Orlando the night before, but if we ever do that trip again, we will. 

• Like 1

On our last Miami cruise we drove down from Daytona Beach.   Changed our N/C car rental drop from Orlando to Miami. 

Left in the AM. No issues whatsoever.   Saved us lugging our bags in and out of rental or the bother of getting into a hotel room for a one night stay.

• Like 1

Another vote from a local. Drive down the day before, much less stressful.   

Brightline Train is suppose to be in service late 22 or early 23. That will help. Direct from Orlando airport to Miami

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Brightline Train is suppose to be in service late 22 or early 23. That will help. Direct from Orlando airport to Miami

We are excited for that train service to start!.....That will be a game changer for us to get from Orlando to South Florida quickly and efficiently for cruises and anything else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 9:52 PM, CruiseFanatic223 said:

We are going on a cruise out of Miami in a few days and live just north of Orlando. We're driving down the day before. Its about a 4 hour drive from our house, but it just makes it less stressful and allows us to sleep in a bit more on the morning of the cruise.

Same here!  We are also concerned that the infamous Miami traffic would rear it's ugly head if we would have driven from 1 hour west of Orlando to Miami cruise port.