All ports but one canceled on current Divina

Markanddonna

I just received this from FB: "On the Divina - the captain just announced that our entire itinerary has been canceled. Aruba, Panama, Columbia and Costa Rica will not allow us to dock. The Captain said that we arwe now heading to Cozumel."

BTW- Cozumel was a replacement port.

BTW- I also posted this on Ask a Cruise question and the post was quickly (within minutes) moved to die on "cruise news."  

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

Hopefully they will find some alternative ports to go to.  Mexico seems to be open to allowing all ships to dock and there are at least a few viable ports there.  I am sure MSC is doing everything they can to come up with a decent replacement itinerary on such short notice.  I do wonder how many cases are on-board that is causing these countries to deny the ship from docking? 

I don't think these cancellations are necessarily because of MSC C-19 outbreaks. The Cunard QM2 current 28 night cruise into the Caribbean from Southampton has been aborted because of an outbreak on board and no island is willing to accept the ship. It is sat in Bridgetown bay, Barbados, while they work out how to fly folks home mainly to USA but also anyone wishing to fly home to the UK.

Many USA guests boarded in NYC 22nd December, and Cunard (as well as the CDC) allowed them to do so despite the fact there were already a number of passengers who were debarked for quarantine in NYC!  The ship was scheduled to return to NYC 3rd January, which was to be the end of the USA to Caribbean leg, before sailing on to Southampton for 10th January. Now these USA passengers will be flown from Barbados to NYC. There is a long thread on the Cunard board.

The current plan is that on 2nd January the ship will return directly to Southampton, and will carry any passengers who wish to remain on board.

We did that route on the 11/21 Divinia.  We were originally suppose to dock in Montego Bay while Jamaica was beginning to shut down so we went to Falmouth instead at the last minute.  Made the other portrs but Aruba was the only pot that you didn't have to take a vax/unvax excursion to leave the port.  And this was right before Omnicron.  

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

I don't think these cancellations are necessarily because of MSC C-19 outbreaks. The Cunard QM2 current 28 night cruise into the Caribbean from Southampton has been aborted because of an outbreak on board and no island is willing to accept the ship. It is sat in Bridgetown bay, Barbados, while they work out how to fly folks home mainly to USA but also anyone wishing to fly home to the UK.

Many USA guests boarded in NYC 22nd December, and Cunard (as well as the CDC) allowed them to do so despite the fact there were already a number of passengers who were debarked for quarantine in NYC!  The ship was scheduled to return to NYC 3rd January, which was to be the end of the USA to Caribbean leg, before sailing on to Southampton for 10th January. Now these USA passengers will be flown from Barbados to NYC. There is a long thread on the Cunard board.

The current plan is that on 2nd January the ship will return directly to Southampton, and will carry any passengers who wish to remain on board.

NY isn’t allowing the ship to return. It was just announced.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Geobugs said:

Last month on Divina, we got off at all ports and did not have to show a vac card or passport at all.  We showed security a cruise card and that is all that we needed.

Last month on the Meraviglia, we were also told to take our vax cards, but only Bonaire looked at them. It's really a waste of time, since no one can board without them.

14 hours ago, styles27 said:

NY isn’t allowing the ship to return. It was just announced.  

Yes, that is the precise reason they are working the past few days through the logistics to fly those who should have debarked there to NYC airports from Barbados! 😉

Edited by hamrag

56 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

anyone figure out if the ports blocked the ship because they are blocking all ships OR did they block just this ship because of some particular reason/ statistics?

Aruba blocked them because of covid onboard - they decided not to try Cartegena  because they assumed they wouldn't be permitted to dock.  There is definitely COVID among the crew and passengers according to a crewmember that I message with regularly.   This article talks a bit about what's going on https://www.cruisehive.com/msc-cruise-ship-issues-additional-testing-for-guests-itinerary-adjusted/62974

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, Reenie75 said:

If the cruise cancels or restrictions say Canadians (I'm Canadian☺) refund or credit for another cruise most likely would happen. We are sailing March 5th.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:59 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

We're on Jan 16th. The ports would have been nice but for us it's not the end of the World.

Still amazed that ANY cruise line accepts the unvaxed.

Its one thing having the virus onboard - which we MUST start to accept as being common just like flu or norovirus and cope with it as a mild irritation thanks to our jabs.

BUT it's totally different if the (older) unvaxed get it and overwhelm the ships medical facility.

On a positive note, YC Concierge just emailed to confirm Muse Restaurant opens at 6pm so we should still get to the only theatre show daily at 7.45pm - see, not all is bad.

IF MSC decide to put a pause in operations for 2 weeks, hopefully we can jump aboard another cruise line (we shall just wait and see).

We moved our 11 night cruise on 1/16 to later in the year - same itinerary - since the itinerary changed drastically; we have no interest in sailing to Honduras or Mexico.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:17 PM, girli565 said:

We're sailing on the 1/6 Divina sailing... at least I hope we're still sailing somewhere. It's a 3-day to Nassau and OC. 

Hey there

Have you heard any more about OC and Nassau--- as another thread a pax posted a letter that the Bahamas wasn't allowing ships to dock on OC...

If the Bahamas disallows OC, then it won't allow Nassau as well... and then a cruise to no where can't sail.

Wondering as we have B2Bs and the short leg would need to be rerouted or cruises on either end extended.

8 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Hey there

Have you heard any more about OC and Nassau--- as another thread a pax posted a letter that the Bahamas wasn't allowing ships to dock on OC...

If the Bahamas disallows OC, then it won't allow Nassau as well... and then a cruise to no where can't sail.

Wondering as we have B2Bs and the short leg would need to be rerouted or cruises on either end extended.

Have not heard anything yet. We Covid test Tuesday. No emails or anything from MSC as of now. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

I've been following this closely. The ship will likely not inform you of any cancelations until you are onboard the ship. If you call to ask, you will be told all systems are a go!  With cases accelerating across the country, it is likely someone will bring the virus onboard because of the flaws with the antigen tests. Then, the Bahamas will cancel not only Nassau but the private island. You may have a cruise totally at sea. It seems the ships are now testing an additional time after you sail.

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I've been following this closely. The ship will likely not inform you of any cancelations until you are onboard the ship. If you call to ask, you will be told all systems are a go!  With cases accelerating across the country, it is likely someone will bring the virus onboard because of the flaws with the antigen tests. Then, the Bahamas will cancel not only Nassau but the private island. You may have a cruise totally at sea. It seems the ships are now testing an additional time after you sail.

I thought cruises to nowhere were not allowed from the US ? or would a cruise ship denied docking and being at sea for 7 days be exempt ?

2 hours ago, sidari said:

I thought cruises to nowhere were not allowed from the US ? or would a cruise ship denied docking and being at sea for 7 days be exempt ?

Not an expert, but it seems that cruise ship would be exempt from that rule since it was not intended as a cruise to nowhere.  Consider that the cruise ships are now departing telling the passengers that everything is a "go." You sort of have to believe that the cruise officers' private conversations are that they predict and are braced to cancel or replace all the scheduled ports.  I am surprised that people actually 100% believe the CSRs when they call before their cruise asking if any ports are canceled.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sidari said:

According to the poster who is a mariner named Cheng-something, (I don’t want to tag him and get his username wrong, sorry) they don’t get an exemption. They will still be fined by CBP, but they can appeal the fine and it’s a pretty sure thing. 

However, they can’t begin a cruise knowing that they won’t be stopping anywhere because CBP won’t approve the itinerary. 

• Like 2