January & February 2022 Cruisers

TNcruising02

10 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No ...we made a decision to book a cruise when the covid rate was very low,  when breakthru cases were minimal and when masks weren't mandated.

At the time I made final payment  (which was only a few weeks ago) I had no illusion that COVID would be gone or would have no impact on my cruise. I 110% expected a surge after thoughtless thanksgiving, Christmas and new year parties,,,, exactly like last year. The Medical Experts have long warned of the winter surge.

The delta variant was causing wide spread breakthrough cases at the time of final payment (just a few weeks ago). I fully expected all cruise lines to continue to tighten protocols. NCL, even fully vaccinated and tested, has had COVID on most of their ships (reference CDC website). And they had to do something. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No ...we made a decision to book a cruise when the covid rate was very low,  when breakthru cases were minimal and when masks weren't mandated.

Congratulations, you seem to be the most naive person on this board if you really thought that the situation will stay like it was at the time of your booking.

8 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

I guess this means you will not be following the rules??

I rather guess he does not want any passenger to inform him about the rules and which rule he just didn`t follow.

Everybody knows the rules and in case someone does not follow them some think that only cruise line staff is morally allowed to give him instructions and(in worst case)warnings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

But you know, they will move you to

q-station in case.....

Darn!  You just busted my happy little bubble. I forgot about that part.  Oh, well… I’ll just try my best to follow the rules, stay as safe as possible, and enjoy the cruise.  😁🌴

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

As far as testing ahead of time, we ended up ordering proctored home tests with a company that partnered with Norwegian.  We went to their site, entered the name of the ship and sailing date and the testing dates came up.  I chose two days before the cruise and then I was able to schedule an appointment time for my husband and myself.  I was surprised at how quickly the test kits came in the mail. $40 per person or 3 tests for $80.

From NCL:

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while travelling, we have partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.

Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to provide hassle-free, pre-cruise at home supervised testing for our guests. Inspire makes it simple and easy to sail away safely with U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention approved test results sent securely to your mobile device or email.

Inspire will ship your test kit a few weeks ahead of your sail date and send you a friendly reminder when it’s time for you to take your at-home supervised test.

Very helpful info.  Thanks!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jumbojem96 said:

Still can’t wait for our cruise leaving next Saturday on the Joy! 8 days!

Us too. We are going on this cruise so long as our flight works out and the cruise ship leaves the port.  Masks, body suits, I don't care. We're going!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruiseMH said:

Congratulations, you seem to be the most naive person on this board if you really thought that the situation will stay like it was at the time of your booking.

"The time of my booking" wasn't last week or last month.  For my upcoming (Mar) cruise "the time of my booking" was a year ago.  If you expected "the omicron wave", you must be psychic, because even the experts didn't.

For the record, if I felt that "masks were necessary....I wouldn't go on that cruise". At this point, yes, I do feel they are necessary and I'd prefer to lose my money and stay home. (I just canceled my Met Opera tickets for today.)  If I felt that masking up did no more than "make someone feel safe" I'd go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

As far as testing ahead of time, we ended up ordering proctored home tests with a company that partnered with Norwegian.  We went to their site, entered the name of the ship and sailing date and the testing dates came up.  I chose two days before the cruise and then I was able to schedule an appointment time for my husband and myself.  I was surprised at how quickly the test kits came in the mail. $40 per person or 3 tests for $80.

From NCL:

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while travelling, we have partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.

Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to provide hassle-free, pre-cruise at home supervised testing for our guests. Inspire makes it simple and easy to sail away safely with U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention approved test results sent securely to your mobile device or email.

Inspire will ship your test kit a few weeks ahead of your sail date and send you a friendly reminder when it’s time for you to take your at-home supervised test.

Thank you for this info.  I just set us up to be tested in Miami 2 days before our Feb cruise.  We were worried about finding a precruise testing site once we got to Miami.  This makes it so much easier as long as we can figure out how to do the video testing.  😳🤭😉  And being paired with NCL gives us that added security.

Edited by mertziek
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Thank you for this info.  I just set us up to be tested in Miami 2 days before our Feb cruise.  We were worried about finding a precruise testing site once we got to Miami.  This makes it so much easier as long as we can figure out how to do the video testing.  😳🤭😉  And being paired with NCL gives us that added security.

I watched a video on how to do the test and will watch it again the morning of my appointment.  I like that everyone in the same traveling party can test in the same session.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

From NCL:

I just scheduled our appointment for our February cruise.  One less thing to worry about now.    I had read the above on NCL's website, but was going back and forth as to who to book with.  I like getting info from people that have actually used different products,  and you provided me with the info I wanted to know about.    Thanks again!

• Like 1

Best Wishes to All and Good Safe Sailing - I have friends on Jade Feb 13th from Dubai - fully capable of making sound and reasonable decisions - they're still on as of last phone call!  I'm not sailing till May so have lots of time, still.  Bon Voyage and Good Thoughts!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I watched a video on how to do the test and will watch it again the morning of my appointment.  I like that everyone in the same traveling party can test in the same session.

Sorry, I'm going to bother you again,  or maybe someone else will know.  I have looked on here, and on NCL, I can't find the answer to my question.    When NCL says within two days of sailing,  my question is this:  if you get your test on a Saturday, for a Monday cruise,  and your test is on Saturday morning,  but the cruise does not leave until 4:00 pm on Monday,  is that still considered within two days?   Thanks

• Like 1

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Cruises with embarkation dates through January 31, 2022: 
We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying with, connecting through, or sailing to before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning February 1, 2022:
All guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Proof must be in the form of the physical test or electronic official copy. If a guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guest's expense for $99.00 per person. If you booked a pre-cruise Cruisetour, please view additional FAQs.

Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through January 31, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

Edited by WYB!
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

Sorry, I'm going to bother you again,  or maybe someone else will know.  I have looked on here, and on NCL, I can't find the answer to my question.    When NCL says within two days of sailing,  my question is this:  if you get your test on a Saturday, for a Monday cruise,  and your test is on Saturday morning,  but the cruise does not leave until 4:00 pm on Monday,  is that still considered within two days?   Thanks

What I have found on their website mentions 96 hours in order to qualify for reimbursement not covered by insurance, so two days before the cruise should be fine.  They even have a chart showing which days are acceptable.   For cruises after Jan 31st, they only mention within 2 days for the required testing and state no hour requirement.  I know my cruise check in time for the Escape is 9:00 am to 9:30.  My appointment time for my proctored test is two days earlier 9:00 got 9:15 am.

To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise vacation, see below:
table-embark-US-NonUS.png

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/do-i-need-take-covid-19-test-prior-arrival-terminal

•  
Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Starting our online check-in tomorrow for our 7 night cruise on the Encore. We're flying to Miami on 1/22 and cruise departs on 1/23. Only a positive test before boarding our flight, or the ship, will stop me. We're three groups of 2, and each couple will decide on their own with their comfort level. 

My partner just tested positive on Dec 31 (double vaxxed) and I've yet to show symptoms (double + booster), so the way I see it, the silver lining is we should be fully recovered by then and (possibly?) super immune? I feel it's unlikely we'd test positive AGAIN so quickly.

We're also planning to purchase COVID specific travel insurance that will cover any sort of quarantine we'd be required to do if we test positive, which is the only thing i'm worried about at this point.

• Like 1

We're booked on the Dawn 2/20, and we're going.  We were able to cruise post-pandemic in October on the Edge, and it was amazing!  Only 800 passengers and no masking.  I know that this cruise will be different and the masking will be a pain, but that's what we're doing here most of the time anyway.  We are triple vaxxed and just got over extremely mild breakthrough cases, so we are not afraid of getting the virus.  I know that doesn't matter if we get exposed while on board, we'll still have to isolate and get tested.  I know it's all a risk, but we are good with it, we have faced much worse things in our lives than having to spend a day or two of our vacation sailing on the ocean in a cabin with a balcony, free food, free drinks, free internet, no cooking, no cleaning, no working etc!

• Like 1

We are scheduled to leave the 29th. Since we have been very careful though out this entire pandemic with mask wearing, distancing, etc.  figured DH would say just cancel. Surprised me this morning when he said he feels safer onboard a fully vaxed ship and would still be on vacation even if we have to miss some ports. He is happy on the ship and as long as we can play in the pool, sun, get drinks and food, and use our balcony we will be happy. Did decide on the two day drive rather than risk a plane ride - both covid and cancellations. I've also canceled our upgrade bids on the spa categories - to me that area might be risky. We still have time, if things change we can still cancel. Should say that both of us are triple vaxed and in pretty good health - mid 60s, pretty much retired and a quarantine wouldn't mess up our "lives" as much as those who are still working - especially if we have our car at the port.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 8:57 AM, TNcruising02 said:

From NCL:

Thank you for that info currently planning on getting the tests through Air Canada, but that is a great backup plan.  
We sail on the Epic February 6th and fly in on the 4th.  We have no plans to cancel as long as the Canadian govt.doesn’t forbid non-essential travel and we test negative.  We cruised out of Athens in August and it was amazing!  Masking is unfortunate, but it didn’t ruin our cruise and we won’t let it ruin this one. I feel safer on NCL fully vaxxed and tested ships than I do at work…….and when leaving from Canadian airports, you also have to be fully vaxxed and provide negative tests to board the plane.  My Sister and I cruise this same week every year, and we are really hoping we sail without incident. We are, however, going to get the extra COVID insurance on top of the NCL essentials and company plan we have, just for our own peace of mind.  All of those sailing soon……..I wish you an absolutely amazing cruise!!!

Edited by paradiseawaitsme
Added to comment
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, BirdTravels said:

At the time I made final payment  (which was only a few weeks ago) I had no illusion that COVID would be gone or would have no impact on my cruise. I 110% expected a surge after thoughtless thanksgiving, Christmas and new year parties,,,, exactly like last year. The Medical Experts have long warned of the winter surge.

The delta variant was causing wide spread breakthrough cases at the time of final payment (just a few weeks ago). I fully expected all cruise lines to continue to tighten protocols. NCL, even fully vaccinated and tested, has had COVID on most of their ships (reference CDC website). And they had to do something. 

Some of us were paid in full when we booked as we had already had multiple cruises cancelled and had termination dates for our FCCs. We'll make our decision on our end of January cruise this week.

Lots of respect for you, Bird, but you're not considering all the angles.

• Like 3