Experiences on current Caribbean cruises

Dgtrainer99

I’ve just seen a comment on a social media site.

it says that a Fred Olsen Caribbean cruise has turned back to Madeira, as no Caribbean islands will let them dock.  Presumably because they are over the threshold for Covid cases, and they haven’t got a support ship like P&O/Cunard to offload people who are testing positive.

No other detail was given, so I don’t know which ship this refers to. Has anybody heard anything about this? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

it says that a Fred Olsen Caribbean cruise has turned back to Madeira, as no Caribbean islands will let them dock.  Presumably because they are over the threshold for Covid cases, and they haven’t got a support ship like P&O/Cunard to offload people who are testing positive.

No other detail was given, so I don’t know which ship this refers to. Has anybody heard anything about this? 

I understand that the ship is the Borealis. It is said that passengers were tested yesterday and that all were negative but that the US CDC authorities have raised the alert level for Caribbean islands to 4, and that is the reason for cancellation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I understand that the ship is the Borealis. It is said that passengers were tested yesterday and that all were negative but that the US CDC authorities have raised the alert level for Caribbean islands to 4, and that is the reason for cancellation.

I will keep an eye on the facecloth groups and event for the Ventura cruise which is due in the Caribbean later in the week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

According to a post on facecloth the ship is coming home to Southampton 15th then Liverpool on 17th, everyone will get a full refund of the cruise.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Denarius said:

The stated reason makes no sense.  CDC Travel Health notices are advisory and not binding in the same way that FCDO Travel notices are for the UK, i.e.for a Brit to travel when the FCDO says not to invalidates insurance etc but that is not the case with the CDC in the US.  So, the CDC is not preventing US ships sailing to Caribbean islands at Level 4 (very high) for Covid, let alone UK based ships.  And, to put things into perspective, the CDC assesses both the UK and the USA to be at Level 4 for Covid as well.

Edited by cruising.mark.uk

2 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

The stated reason makes no sense.  CDC Travel Health notices are advisory and not binding in the same way that FCDO Travel notices are for the UK, i.e.for a Brit to travel when the FCDO says not to invalidates insurance etc but that is not the case with the CDC in the US.  So, the CDC is not preventing US ships sailing to Caribbean islands at Level 4 (very high) for Covid, let alone UK based ships.  And, to put things into perspective, the CDC assesses both the UK and the USA to be at Level 4 for Covid as well.

Borealis is a day behind Ventura on the way to the Caribbean and no word that she is coming back, seems a bit odd.

I have been following this.  It seems the passengers have now received letters saying they are returning to the UK as the covid situation onboard will make things difficult in the Caribbean.  Apparently there are about 40 crew isolating and a handful of passengers, though I am not sure if that is those who test positive, or if a lot of them are isolating because of close contact with others.  Fred passengers have a wearable device which tells them who they passengers have have been in contact with.  Also some people choose to form a bubble with other guests (particularly single passengers and there are usually a number of those on Fred).  If in the same bubble will be asked to isolate.

TBH the previous cruise had some covid cases and some crew isolating with facilities reduced at first, so I am not surprised it is returning.  I do think the QV as a support ship, is the only way forward as things are.   I understand Royal Caribbean is using the same method with two support ships (one dubbed plague of the seas).

Apparently everyone will receive a full refund.  Seems they have had some rough seas so far, so not exactly a pleasant short jaunt.  I think the only port day was in Madeira.  They are staying in Madeira overnight before returning tomorrow.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Makes sense.

If they are struggling with covid already would not be good for any of the passengers to have to quarantine in Barbados or get medical treatment there if it can be avoided

Fred Olsen have a particularly elderly clientele don't they?  They've done them all a favour turning round tbh

A big financial loss for the cruise line though 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

51 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Makes sense.

If they are struggling with covid already would not be good for any of the passengers to have to quarantine in Barbados or get medical treatment there if it can be avoided

Fred Olsen have a particularly elderly clientele don't they?  They've done them all a favour turning round tbh

A big financial loss for the cruise line though 

Not really older than the smaller P&O ships for long distance cruises or the shorter cruises from the UK, in fact a lot of much younger people on the short cruises.  The advantage is the regional departures.

Edited by tring

Interesting comments on other social media about Azura. Staff shortages leading to slow service in the MDR, and only one pool open,  causing overcrowding.  It seems that the hot tubs and other pools are shut due to lack of staff trained in pool maintenance (not sure if I believe that!) . Spa and gym still shut. 

To be fair, the poster is very positive overall, but staff shortages seem to be having an impact.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, jeanlyon said:

Just really shows to me that it's not worth cruising.  So glad I have moved both mine.

Depends on your take on things we did the TA last October it was really good just swapped our next cruise to do the TA again this October

Just now, Bazrat said:

Depends on your take on things we did the TA last October it was really good just swapped our next cruise to do the TA again this October

However omicron with its higher transmissiblity had not reared its ugly head in October. We now run a much higher risk of testing positive, and even with only mild symptoms, could face quarantine in a foreign country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

However omicron with its higher transmissiblity had not reared its ugly head in October. We now run a much higher risk of testing positive, and even with only mild symptoms, could face quarantine in a foreign country.

Are you referring to the flight back because as far as I know no country in the Caribbean will let you disembark if you have COVID

26 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

So which countries are you referring too that will allow you to unload COVID passengers

Spain is apparently demanding that positive tested passengers are offloaded to a quarantine hotel. This is apparently in line with an EU directive.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, jeanlyon said:

Just really shows to me that it's not worth cruising.  So glad I have moved both mine.

Just got back from 2 weeks on Azura. Only changes were the same as experienced on the seacations. 

Staff were the most friendly I have ever experience on P&O. 

Only thing that was a bit frustrating was not being able to dance to the band. On NYE they played outside and it was an amazing atmosphere. Why they didn't put the band outside more often and advertise it as a deck party I have no idea. 

The reduced capacity meant all venues were practically empty, which must have been horrible for the performers. 

Aside from that, had a fantastic time and it was worth all the documents and tests!

8 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Just got back from 2 weeks on Azura. Only changes were the same as experienced on the seacations. 

Only thing that was a bit frustrating was not being able to dance to the band. On NYE they played outside and it was an amazing atmosphere. Why they didn't put the band outside more often and advertise it as a deck party I have no idea. 

The reduced capacity meant all venues were practically empty, which must have been horrible for the performers. 

Aside from that, had a fantastic time and it was worth all the documents and tests!

We can only echo your sentiments we had a great time on our TA , only problem was the cruise was too short.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

Glad to hear that all was well on Azura and you had a great time.  I am interested  to know if any areas the ship have been refurbished since it was taken out of service in 2020.  Back then I found that the cabins and many of the public areas were in drastic need of a refit.

1 hour ago, Marmaduke said:

Glad to hear that all was well on Azura and you had a great time.  I am interested  to know if any areas the ship have been refurbished since it was taken out of service in 2020.  Back then I found that the cabins and many of the public areas were in drastic need of a refit.

Have been on Azura for 28 days. Public areas including corridors have all been re carpeted but the cabins are dire, depressing and dreary.

Terri

1 hour ago, silkworms said:

Have been on Azura for 28 days. Public areas including corridors have all been re carpeted but the cabins are dire, depressing and dreary.

Terri

Didn't they do any refurbishment to the cabins

30 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Didn't they do any refurbishment to the cabins

I couldn’t tell whether there was a new carpet put in, but I only knew that because of people on here. Rest of room is dated but rooms are spacious. Gap between balcony glass and floor was mouldy and black, and all furniture was covered in bird poo. 

Buffet has been refurbished and it looks fresh and clean. Rest of the ship looked dated, but I still prefer it to Iona! Great sized ship with outstanding staff. 

We were on Azura for the 28 nighter. We were up in the gods on R deck (not out of choice) and we thought our cabin had new carpet because it kept fluffing up. Otherwise there was new carpet pretty much everywhere else. The buffet had new chairs but the buffet design on the ship is awful anyway like Ventura and a lot worse than Britannia. Apart from the first couple of days you were not allowed to serve yourself either with food or drinks but the staff brought the drinks to you. Also the salt, pepper and sugar disappeared after the first 2 and you had to ask for these. In the evenings the ship was soulless like the Mary Celeste and artistes were often performing to empty bars. Very sad. We still enjoyed the cruise though.

• Thanks 1