Getaway cancelled 1/5 sailing

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm happy you both appear to have a mild case. I could absolutely quarantine in an aft facing balcony as long as I had room service access to the dining room menus and drinks. I'm very happy NCL took care of you like that. 

If we're allowed to order from menus other than the typical room service menu, they didn't tell us we could. They just told us that room service charges would be waived (and we've had to fight to get those refunded a few times anyways)

• Like 2

Just now, chuckhendo2 said:

If we're allowed to order from menus other than the typical room service menu, they didn't tell us we could. They just told us that room service charges would be waived (and we've had to fight to get those refunded a few times anyways)

I would grow VERY tired of the room service menu. Have you tried ordering drinks?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I would grow VERY tired of the room service menu. Have you tried ordering drinks?

I haven't felt like drinking since we were moved to be honest; just outrageously bummed about it. The stop in Aruba was toughest - that was the number one place I've wanted to go for a while and I couldn't even see it from our side of the ship since we were still quarantined in our original room at that point.

And the room service is even worse than normal. We ordered pizza for dinner - and if anybody here knows what NCL pizza is like you know how bad the situation is lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

I haven't felt like drinking since we were moved to be honest; just outrageously bummed about it. The stop in Aruba was toughest - that was the number one place I've wanted to go for a while and I couldn't even see it from our side of the ship since we were still quarantined in our original room at that point.

And the room service is even worse than normal. We ordered pizza for dinner - and if anybody here knows what NCL pizza is like you know how bad the situation is lol

I'm so sorry you are going thru this. Maybe call someone and ask to order off the dining room menu? Is the menu showing on the app? Tv? 

Covid is not going away anytime soon. If you wait for something to subside, you will miss out on your life.  The data/evidence shows that if you vaxxed and boosted, this thing the overwhelming majority of the time turns out asymptomatic/very mild.  If you take the precautions necessary then we must continue to live life.  These cancelations and closures should be a thing of the past.  If you refuse to do the things that are necessary then that’s on you….

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm so sorry you are going thru this. Maybe call someone and ask to order off the dining room menu? Is the menu showing on the app? Tv? 

Thanks, but probably too late now. As slow as room service has been we probably wouldn't be getting to eat until 9 if we ordered now. Wouldn't surprise me if they wouldn't allow it anyways. We asked for some bottles of water when we first started quarantining, and they refused. We have to order pitchers of water (which is the same as what's in the tap, but at least it has ice), and then wait on them to arrive. I never complain about anything but NCL is getting an earful when we get back home

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

Thanks, but probably too late now. As slow as room service has been we probably wouldn't be getting to eat until 9 if we ordered now. Wouldn't surprise me if they wouldn't allow it anyways. We asked for some bottles of water when we first started quarantining, and they refused. We have to order pitchers of water (which is the same as what's in the tap, but at least it has ice), and then wait on them to arrive. I never complain about anything but NCL is getting an earful when we get back home

That is terrible!! There is a youtube of a guy on RCL who was moved to quarantine. They had a 6 pack of water waiting as standard procedure and have brought him poweraid for electrolytes. He can order off the main menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner also. Maybe show NCL that video in your case. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Covid is not going away anytime soon. If you wait for something to subside, you will miss out on your life.  The data/evidence shows that if you vaxxed and boosted, this thing the overwhelming majority of the time turns out asymptomatic/very mild.  If you take the precautions necessary then we must continue to live life.

Here's the thing though, previously, those precautions resulted in a small handful of cases on each cruise.  With omicron, those precautions aren't working and it is spreading like wildfire.  Even if it is just a mild cold for most, it isn't for all, and honestly, even mild, it's not fun to deal with on vacation.  I know because I have it and am isolated on the Getaway right now.

• Like 2

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is terrible!! There is a youtube of a guy on RCL who was moved to quarantine. They had a 6 pack of water waiting as standard procedure and have brought him poweraid for electrolytes. He can order off the main menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner also. Maybe show NCL that video in your case. 

I went over to the RCL boards and saw a picture of the letters they got outlining what they could and couldn't do, etc.  They seemed so much more organized and prepared.  I got nothing but vague verbal instructions to stay in my room and order room service.

• Like 2

Just now, missnd said:

I went over to the RCL boards and saw a picture of the letters they got outlining what they could and couldn't do, etc.  They seemed so much more organized and prepared.  I got nothing but vague verbal instructions to stay in my room and order room service.

We need a dislike button here :(. I'm sorry you were treated poorly.

• Like 2

Let’s not get the thread locked due to discussions around masking  and vaccines.  The rules (listed in the  red banner at the top of each page) around CoVID 19 discussions state , “No debate about whether vaccines or making are effective” 

Very good information coming from those onboard.  Many people want to see this  information.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

One hour and ten minutes since we ordered our 2 pizzas and cheesecake. Who wants to take bets that it'll arrive room temp like my lunch did? 

Update on Cheesecakegate - Pizza was lukewarm if we're being favorable. Cheesecake was slightly cool. Improvement from lunch, so I'll take it

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

One hour and ten minutes since we ordered our 2 pizzas and cheesecake. Who wants to take bets that it'll arrive room temp like my lunch did? 

If it’s any consolation I just got off the Escape and my food in the main dining room was often room temperature this time…including the cheesecake lol. Hang in there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Av8torcrj said:

Every single ship, every one with paying passengers, every cruise line, is currently yellow, under investigation. A change from 2 weeks ago when ships would bounce in and out of green. 

Actually, Karaboudjan was correct when he/she said Getaway and Pearl are the only two NCL ships listed as under investigation. All NCL ships are indeed yellow as you state, but all the others are "CDC has investigated and ship remains under observation."  Getaway and Pearl are "CDC has started an investigation."

Which implies to me those two ships started having problems more recently, so the investigation isn't yet complete. Whether that had anything to do with their current cancelations is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Either way, That is one big a**ed error!! lol

Pure speculation of course 🙂

I have worked in crisis communications at very high levels for 20 years and every single communication that NCL has put out in the last month+ has made me cringe.  Errors, poor wording, lack of clarity…it’s been a disaster.  Incomprehensible to me that they don’t have competent comms support and counsel.  Bush league at best.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, monsterl said:

I think NCL is cancelling all 4 Norwegian Star-Departures to/from Buenos Aires and the two repositionings Buenos Aires-Rio de Janeiro and Rio de Janeiro-Brazil.

All these cruises are no longer bookable. 

Very likely. The Star has paused in mid Atlantic, waiting for instructions. Was due to arrive in Buenos Aires 13 Jan for the restart 16 Jan. 

The voluntary suspension of all cruises in Brazil announced today was probably the final straw.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, styxfire said:

Oh!  I read the letter too fast.  You're right, Pearl is getting full refund in the original form of payment, AND FCC equal to the price of the current cruise.

In that case, as a shareholder, I think that is excessive reimbursement.  I apologize to anyone whose cruise is cancelled, but I also want the company to stay in business!!!!   They're basically giving double-the-money-back PLUS 4 days free cruising.

The Pearl passengers should be VERY happy.  There must be something big brewing on that boat...   Wonder if a full quarantine is being considered.  I HOPE NOT!

NCL have said they’re not dropping fares into the old super cheap range they did in the past to fill the ships. I suspect fares under €500 are a thing of the past so effectively paying guests will be subsidising all those FCC credits.  Guests are enjoying ships that are more sparsely populated than the norm and are willing to pay that little bit extra. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

A million new cases reported today in the usa, wonder how long becore the cdc pulls the sail order and pauses cruising. 

The CDC doesn't need to do anything, actually.  The cruise lines are handling it.

Getaway sailing 1/5: Cancelled

Pearl:  Turned around and headed back to FL

Star: Sailing away from SA rather than toward it.

QMII:  Cancelled return to NYC, heading to Southampton

More coming soon.

• Like 1

The world, it is a changing.  It used to be, book your cruise and look for the fares to go down so you could reduce your costs or gain an upgrade.  So much easier of a time when that was your only concern.

In a million years I never thought the cruise industry, crew and we the loyal cruise guests would have to go through this again.  I knew some crew or guest would test positive, yet not to the levels they are happening.  My bad for thinking we had a handle on it.

More important to me is the frustrations, emotions and disappointment those booked on this cruises are going through. It is safe to say we have personally felt these feeling many time.  Please keep the faith and when you gain the opportunity to cruise, my hopes are we all can do it safely and one day get back to normal.  Again, so very sorry.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

NCL have said they’re not dropping fares into the old super cheap range they did in the past to fill the ships. I suspect fares under €500 are a thing of the past so effectively paying guests will be subsidising all those FCC credits. 

Escape’s Dec 11 sailing had $399pp sailaway balconies.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it drop lower than that.  

• Like 1