Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

4 hours ago, mturvey said:

The CVS sites come up with an error if not based in the US.  The message says this is for US residents only.  
I will wait until next month and contact the hotel and Princess again.
We no longer need PCR tests to get back into the UK so one less test to worry about.

Use a VPN with a location in the US.  Then enter the address of your hotel.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Great idea.  IF they allow self pay?  Or, they could book on the hotel computer in Las Vegas about 6 days ahead of the test, get an appointment and use the address of the hotel in SFO.  What about the email address you have to give for results?  Not sure it would accept a .UK 

email address?

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Great idea.  IF they allow self pay?  Or, they could book on the hotel computer in Las Vegas about 6 days ahead of the test, get an appointment and use the address of the hotel in SFO.  What about the email address you have to give for results?  Not sure it would accept a .UK 

email address?

Good points that I hadn't considered.  Maybe the hotel would let them use their email address?

5 hours ago, mturvey said:

The CVS sites come up with an error if not based in the US.  The message says this is for US residents only.  
I will wait until next month and contact the hotel and Princess again.
We no longer need PCR tests to get back into the UK so one less test to worry about.

2 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Good points that I hadn't considered.  Maybe the hotel would let them use their email address?

Possibly, just to get the results and they could print them and have it forwarded to their email address from theirs.

A lot of variables.  But, just another possibility.  I’m sure the concierge at the Mark Hopkins can help.  
I just wanted to get some ideas out there for our friends across the pond.  

I’m sure there are some clinics nearby that can test international guests.  
Thanks for your reply.

We are flying out of Pittsburgh PA airport. They do the testing there. We were planning to test when we get to the airport , we are flying in the day before the cruise . Maybe some other airports test?

3 hours ago, 1stCruiser said:

Any Canadians have experience with testing in Fort Lauderdale? We are flying in 3 days before cruise in February so will have to re-test prior to boarding. Can Canadians get a test at a pharmacy? Thanks for any help!

I am not sure about Canadian vs. US, but we sail out of FLL in Feb and found these resources- testing at FLL airport (I've seen appointments avail 1-3 days in advance, and on 'chat' I was told walk ins allowed if you pre-register).  Nomi Testing | Event Registration (nomihealth.com) .

Also - Lab Doctor Lab Doctor – Ft. Lauderdale's most affordable blood testing center.  I emailed them and they said walk ins allowed and they have plenty of tests - same day results.

Lastly, there is a lot of information here, including home tests you can do with a telehealth appointment, and information about testing at the pier (for a fee).

CruiseHealth™ - Frequently Asked Questions - Princess Cruises

Good luck and Happy Sailing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Prob due to computer security.  Yes, I would wait also, because of all the changes going on.  Best of luck to you.

IF you do need a test to return to the UK, PCL will do that for free when you disembark, if you need it.  
Take care and stay safe across the pond,

my friend!

Tonna

Update on princess website:

health protocols…testing at pier extended: through Feb 28, 2022

Another testing option may be available for fully vaccinated guests on select voyages who are having trouble getting a pre-cruise testing appointment. For voyages departing from Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles or San Francisco through February 28, 2022 we will be able to provide a limited number of antigen tests for fully vaccinated guests only at a cost of $100 per person. Reservations are required and may be made up to 10 days in advance. Testing will take place on embarkation day at the cruise terminal. Test appointments are subject to capacity restrictions and reservations are required. Visit the DocGo website for more information^.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 1stCruiser said:

Any Canadians have experience with testing in Fort Lauderdale? We are flying in 3 days before cruise in February so will have to re-test prior to boarding. Can Canadians get a test at a pharmacy? Thanks for any help!

I'm a snowbird living in Pompano Beach during the winter.  For my December cruise I used Curative (www.curative.com).  This is the third time I've used their service.  You can book online  up to about 10 days in advance.  There is no charge for Canadians.  Take a picture (front and back) of your license as you will have to upload it to prove that you are uninsured in the US.  The site I used has a 2 hour turnaround  time for a PCR test.  Everything worked great

Edited by orangetabby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, orangetabby said:

I'm a snowbird living in Pompano Beach during the winter.  For my December cruise I used Curative (www.curative.com).  This is the third time I've used their service.  You can book online  up to about 10 days in advance.  There is no charge for Canadians.  Take a picture (front and back) of your license as you will have to upload it to prove that you are uninsured in the US.  The site I used has a 2 hour turnaround  time for a PCR test.  Everything worked great

What about people from the UK?

@Host CJSKIDS Thank you so much for beginning this thread!

Many of us are having logistical nightmares regarding being tested before flying, before embarkation, at debarkation, and flying home. The Princess website has some information, but of course, not all inclusive for all of our scenarios. I hope many of us will post our experiences in detail to help others through this maze.

• Like 2

FYI…Anyone in the Bay Area of San Francisco CVS has a location at Sutter & Van Ness that does the tests. Reservations preferred but walk ins are a possibly. 

Result's in 1hr or less.

I've used it 3 times with excellent service & results.

Tom😀👍 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 11:54 PM, orangetabby said:

I like that web site. At least they let you make an appointment so your not standing in line with 40 other people.

• Like 2

I looked into the testing being done at the port by DocGo.  It is now a $100 nonrefundable charge to a credit card at time of booking.  I was thinking of using this as a backup to BeeperMD, but with a nonrefundable charge probably won't.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, mturvey said:

We are from the UK and finding it difficult to find somewhere in San Francisco to get a Covid test for the cruise.  We are fully vaccinated and have boosters.  Princess recommended the DocGo site but it only allows US addresses when trying to book, although it did allow us to put in a UK phone number.

Therefore, does anyone know if we can bring UK antigen tests with us and video to the health centre in the UK via our phones and submit that result?  Is that acceptable or will they only accept US results?  
We also read something about requiring a 3-5 day test if arriving internationally in California and we are hoping the one for the cruise will be sufficient as we are three days in Vegas followed by three days in SF? We have to have a test 1day before we leave UK already.  
I do hope our cruise on the Ruby in March will be worth it as it has been postponed for a couple of years now!

You can purchase a BINAX NOW test kit from EMed.com. This is a proctored test that you self administer over a video chat. It takes about 20 minutes and is a Lateral Flow or Antigen test that should meet US requirements. Results are emailed to your email within an hour of the test typically. We have used this several times for flying back to the US from the UK.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:58 AM, redrocks07 said:

We have just cancelled 2 Celebrity cruises and booked a 1/19 Grand Princess cruise out of LA. In preparation for the X cruises we ordered 2 test kits from X that came from the Optum Store. The kits are Abbot Ag Card Home Test kits and it looks like eMed is the proctor. Do you think these kits would satisfy Princess's pre-arival test requirement? 

Also, there is a topic on another thread indicating a problem with iPhone ios problems with emed. Does anyone know if that has been fixed?

We have used the EMed tests on Iphone several times. It uses the Navica App. No issues.

16 minutes ago, srwade01 said:

We have used the EMed tests on Iphone several times. It uses the Navica App. No issues.

I just emailed emed to ask if they have fixed the iphone IOS 15.2 updated issues?

Also, asked if UK residents can order BinaxNOW ag card?  In the past, it was only for US addresses to order.  Also,

connectivity for them once in the US?

I’ll post if they answer me.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:38 AM, MissP22 said:

I like that web site. At least they let you make an appointment so your not standing in line with 40 other people.

Thanks, I was able to make an appt the morning of our cruise out pf Port Everglades, it's about 10-15 min drive from the port. (10 mins from our hotel). www.curative.com

• Like 1

Just now, kokopelli-az said:

Question about the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth linked on the Princess website:     If I order a 2 or 3 pack, can another person use one of the tests?   Or does the other person have to place their own order for the test?   

From what I have read & seen they can be used by anyone. Each one has a special code that works for anyone that uses it. It’s not linked to the person who purchased it. 

It’s good to have a backup test as I saw someone on YouTube accidentally knock the test card on the floor. 

Tom😀

12 minutes ago, trbarton said:

It’s good to have a backup test as I saw someone on YouTube accidentally knock the test card on the floor. 

Tom😀

I saw that same YouTube video.   He was lucky he had a spare.    I plan on ordering the 3 pack (for 2 people).   

The Abbott BinaxNOW™ test is my "Plan B".   Because of the shortages, I sure don't want to get to my already scheduled test appointment and find out they just ran out of rapid  tests.  

Our biggest concern is for flying back to Canada!  If we can’t get a PCR test done on the ship we won’t have time to get one done on land as our flights leave same day we get off the ship!  If we can’t get this, then our return flights from San Francisco would have to change and hotels would have to be booked.  Princess website doesn’t seem to mention this at all.

8 minutes ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Our biggest concern is for flying back to Canada!  If we can’t get a PCR test done on the ship we won’t have time to get one done on land as our flights leave same day we get off the ship!  If we can’t get this, then our return flights from San Francisco would have to change and hotels would have to be booked.  Princess website doesn’t seem to mention this at all.

It is on their website.  Under Health protocols…covid testing requirements 

move all the way to the bottom…

Post Cruise;

Post-Cruise

If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still onboard, Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less, before traveling to the ship. Using MedallionNet onboard, these at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test while onboard and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Tonna

• Like 1