Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, tomat said:

Princess Q&A updated 8/8/2022 - Unless otherwise communicated, all guests ages five and older must take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) within three days prior to embarkation on the ship. This can be done at any time in the three days before on the day of embarkation. Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-cruise testing. (Please note that these updated guidelines apply to the UK and EU but not to the U.S., Canada or Greece).

Princess has some clarifying to do, as their FAQ's for EU cruises still indicates that the test needs to be medically observed.  The below is from the FAQ's for EU cruises on their web site.  🤫

Based on current European Union Healthy Gateways (EUHG) guidelines, to board the ship, all guests ages five years and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll communicate any updates as they become available. Current testing requirements are as follows:

Vaccination Status

European Union Healthy Gateways Guideline

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated (ages 18 years old and above)

At least 14 days past completion of a primary vaccine series and no more than 270 days (9 months) from the date of disembarkation since receiving the last dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. A booster dose is required for guests 18 and older if the last COVID-19 vaccine dose in series is older than 9 months (270 days) from the date of disembarkation.

Antigen or PCR

Within 3 days*

Fully Vaccinated (ages five to 17 years old)

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation.

Antigen or PCR

Within 3 days*

Not Fully Vaccinated

Either not up to date or has not received a complete COVID-19 vaccine series.

PCR

Within 3 days

I think when they issue an update it is meant to replace preceding information.  
My issue is the fact that’s it’s been done with no pre warning of change.  There will certainly still be passengers paying and booking tests right now.
We sail on the 16th and have received no official notification from Princess or TA.  We can cancel our DAM screening test but will be charged admin fees.  For those that sail sooner there is no refund if cancelled within 48 hours.   NCL at least gave their customers some notice of change.  

3 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

My issue is the fact that’s it’s been done with no pre warning of change.  There will certainly still be passengers paying and booking tests right now.
We sail on the 16th and have received no official notification from Princess or TA.  We can cancel our DAM screening test but will be charged admin fees.  For those that sail sooner there is no refund if cancelled within 48 hours.   NCL at least gave their customers some notice of change.  

With the EU sailing FAQ's, it shows updated as of today.  But, they did not change the medically observed testing.  It must be the Medallion IT team at work again!  😄

25 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

With the EU sailing FAQ's, it shows updated as of today.  But, they did not change the medically observed testing.  It must be the Medallion IT team at work again!  😄

I think they have enough to do to update the Medallion App.  They don’t have time to update the website too!  Or, at least I hope not.  That’s the usual way they operate though.  I still see many things on the website that have not been updated from 2020.  😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

They always say to check the website for 

updates, because it changes frequently.  And that is so true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

You know they’re not fast to update all sections! LoL

It does say it applies to sailings from the UK and the EU, but NOT from the US, Canada or Greece.

I know🙄  I'm just waiting to see it written in the FAQs for  Europe sailings and I will be sooo happy.  Have to get the test on Saturday for cruises going into Canada but wasn't looking forward to finding a test site in Civitavecchia in October

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

I know🙄  I'm just waiting to see it written in the FAQs for  Europe sailings and I will be sooo happy.  Have to get the test on Saturday for cruises going into Canada but wasn't looking forward to finding a test site in Civitavecchia in October

Looks like you won’t have to.  But, we all know it can change on a dime. So, we are still making plans A & B. 😬

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Are you sure? They omitted a few words.  For Southampton the test requirement is still there BUT it doesn't have to be observed. Same for EU EXCEPT Greece which requires an observed test. (I just looked again). So for UK, EU (ex Greece), Australia you just attest that an over the counter antigen or pcr test taken within 3 days of embarkation is negative.

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Are you sure? They omitted a few words.  For Southampton the test requirement is still there BUT it doesn't have to be observed. Same for EU EXCEPT Greece which requires an observed test. (I just looked again). So for UK, EU (ex Greece), Australia you just attest that an over the counter antigen or pcr test taken within 3 days of embarkation is negative.

So, if it’s not observed you just state you’ve done one on trust like the Health Questionnaire is completed. 

We are embarking on a cruise from Brooklyn after flying in from Scotland.  Can anyone recommend where we can get observed Covid Antigen tests in NYC. 

We are not US citizens and so don't have US-style medical insurance (We do have travel insurance!).

Received notification from Princess this morning with regard to departure terminal for our sailing on Enchanted 16th August.  No mention of the important changes to Covid testing procedure.  
I wonder when we will find out.  Presumably at the terminal when everyone gets out their paperwork.  There will be many with unnecessary paid for test certificates.  It will be … ‘you can put those away ..we don’t need to see them anymore ‘.    Thank you for wasting your money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElmaLee said:

We are embarking on a cruise from Brooklyn after flying in from Scotland.  Can anyone recommend where we can get observed Covid Antigen tests in NYC. 

We are not US citizens and so don't have US-style medical insurance (We do have travel insurance!).

Can you purchase video watched antigen tests there in Scotland and just do it over the internet when you are in the US?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Received notification from Princess this morning with regard to departure terminal for our sailing on Enchanted 16th August.  No mention of the important changes to Covid testing procedure.  
I wonder when we will find out.  Presumably at the terminal when everyone gets out their paperwork.  There will be many with unnecessary paid for test certificates.  It will be … ‘you can put those away ..we don’t need to see them anymore ‘.    Thank you for wasting your money. 

We are also on this cruise and have also received email (duplicated) this morning just giving the cruise terminal, I just wanted to clarify this update, so we now only need to state at check in that we are negative.

Do we still have to register the covid test with the NHS as we had to do in the past if visiting a hospital for example or will people just not bother taking a test but say yes no problems at the port ???

4 hours ago, ElmaLee said:

You don’t say when your sailing. Are you staying overnight?  If so, contact your hotel, email them and ask for the closest test area, CVS, Walgreens, lab etc. They may be able to help. Then you’ll be able to make an appointment, self pay.

Are you able to test before you leave? 

What airport are you flying into NY?

There may be a test sight at the airport?

Edited by PacnGoNow

I wish I had looked this morning, have just got back from on site LFT test (negative) for cruise on Friday from Southampton .....  At least my travel companions can cancel theirs but for me its £20 I could have spent on something else!

No message from Princess at all.

Am I reading this right?  We are sailing on Friday 12th,  I have tests booked at Lloyds Chemists but already have had two locations cancelled as they have now pharmasists  being available to carry out the tests. One of the stores actually closed because they had no pharmasist at the weekend,  I have booked another instore test but no gaurantee they will have someone onsite to test until the time!

Nightmare.

Are you saying I now need not bother?

I can self test?

5 minutes ago, B17 said:

Am I reading this right?  We are sailing on Friday 12th,  I have tests booked at Lloyds Chemists but already have had two locations cancelled as they have now pharmasists  being available to carry out the tests. One of the stores actually closed because they had no pharmasist at the weekend,  I have booked another instore test but no gaurantee they will have someone onsite to test until the time!

Nightmare.

Are you saying I now need not bother?

I can self test?

Yes that's correct. You are now asked to self test and make a declaration at check in that you have carried out a test within the last three days and that it was negative. No need to provide any proof for Princess. We had a similar problem trying to get tested, especially as France didn't ever develop the Covid testing industry that the UK did. Happily we now don't have to worry and can simply check with one of the free tests we still have.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 08.57.27.png

Edited by milamber

4 minutes ago, B17 said:

Our Boots has been great. Even got an email today, reminding me of tomorrows appointment. Suggest you try Boots Coventry Lower Precinct.

6 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

where is everyone seeing this change.....the US site still says we need a supervised test for cruises from the UK.  We cruise late this month from Southampton.

Its under 

CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from the United Kingdom

23 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Our Boots has been great. Even got an email today, reminding me of tomorrows appointment. Suggest you try Boots Coventry Lower Precinct.

If they are sailing from the UK they dont need the tests anymore from a pharmacy.

Looks like they just updated it again to say UK but not EU:  Unless otherwise communicated, all guests ages five and older must take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) within three days prior to embarkation on the ship. This can be done at any time in the three days before on the day of embarkation. Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-cruise testing. (Please note that these updated guidelines apply to the UK but not to the U.S., Canada or EU).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Looks like they just updated it again to say UK but not EU:  Unless otherwise communicated, all guests ages five and older must take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) within three days prior to embarkation on the ship. This can be done at any time in the three days before on the day of embarkation. Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-cruise testing. (Please note that these updated guidelines apply to the UK but not to the U.S., Canada or EU).

Yes I just saw that. I now wonder if it was an editorial mistake to begin with? Or something changed since yesterday.