Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Good news for us, 10-day cruise starting Sep 20. However, it seems a huge step for Princess to go from initially relaxing tests for 5-day cruises out of UK with self-test, to 15 days and unvaccinated with self-test.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Another question is how will a B2B - or B2B2B - where the individual components are < 16 days be treated?  I am thinking our B2B2B of 25 nights is still going to require a test, whereas many/most boarding with us will not.

On the plus side, we don't have to worry about a test during the 5 day gap between end of Regal and start of Island (a 14-nighter).

Most of the b2b’s now, you don’t have to test, unless your doing a canal crossing, or oceanic cruise of 10 days or more. Or, a government restriction is involved.

So, this will be similar.

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Most of the b2b’s now, you don’t have to test, unless your doing a canal crossing, or oceanic cruise of 10 days or more. Or, a government restriction is involved.

So, this will be similar.

One of our turnover days is in Athens.  Keeping a watch on that situation.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:36 AM, B17 said:

Am I reading this right?  We are sailing on Friday 12th,  I have tests booked at Lloyds Chemists but already have had two locations cancelled as they have now pharmasists  being available to carry out the tests. One of the stores actually closed because they had no pharmasist at the weekend,  I have booked another instore test but no gaurantee they will have someone onsite to test until the time!

Nightmare.

Are you saying I now need not bother?

I can self test?

Yes, you can. Are you sailing from Southampton? If so, that's all you need.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 3:04 PM, Floridastorm said:

This may be a redundant inquiry or may have been addressed in another place. My understanding was that most of the cruise lines, at least in their safety protocols, required passengers to be vaccinated. That to me means the first and follow-up shots. However, I see statements that seem to indicate a need for booster shots after 180 days. In their latest statements It doesn't seem that Princess is calling for booster shots at all. Since we are planning on using cruise credit for a Princess Caribbean cruise in November, which would be past the 180 days, are we expected to get booster shots? I'm hoping not as I am done with these vaccinations. Put ourselves at risk with the original shots so that we could travel. But, never again while reading all of the side affects caused by them. 🤔

It's 270 days prior to the end of your cruise. Then you need a booster. If you have had a booster, that's enough, regardless of time elapsed. No requirement for a subsequent booster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco2111 said:

If you get covid on board the ships, is paxlovid available to be prescribed by the ship's doctors. 

Thanks,

Karen

I've heard reports here of two Princess cruisers being offered Paxlovid in the past three months.  So the answer is... maybe?  With a HUGE dose of YMMV?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:
Carnival Corporation
August 12, 2022 3:00 PM EDT
PRINCESS CRUISES REMOVES VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES, ELMINATES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS

Unvaccinated Guests Required to Self-Test Within 3 Days of Sailing

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Aug. 12, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises today announced updated COVID-19 protocols and guidelines, removing the vaccine requirement for most voyages of less than 16 days so that anyone can cruise, and adjusting pre-travel testing requirements to make it less complicated.

Starting Sept. 6, vaccinated guests sailing on voyages of less than 16 days will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to upload proof of vaccination while getting OceanReady. Unvaccinated guests, or those who do not provide proof of vaccination, on those itineraries will self-test within three days of sailing and upload proof of a negative test before boarding.   

These new guidelines apply to itineraries from all departure ports except where government regulations and protocols may vary like Canada, Greece and Australia.

Below are the key points for Princess' updated CruiseHealth guidelines for embarkation: 

• No pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests on voyages of up to 15 nights (guests 5 and older) with the exception of full Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other special itineraries; unvaccinated guests must provide a negative self-test result taken within three days of embarkation (unvaccinated children under 5 years do not require pre-cruise testing)
  • Guests sailing on voyages 16 nights or longer, or sailing on full Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other specific itineraries, need to take a supervised test within three days of embarkation (guests 5 and older). Guests on these types of voyages will be contacted directly by an Ocean Navigator to assist.

Princess' updated guidelines reflect the cruise line's ongoing commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for all guests and crew.

"These updated guidelines help ensure a Princess vacation is available to everyone," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises. "The Princess experience is truly one-of-a-kind and we encourage everyone to take a Princess vacation that offers amazing service at unmatched value."

The updated guidelines are subject to the local regulations of applicable homeports and destinations.

So it looks like we still have to test before boarding in Sydney (Australia)??

that could all change before February 2023 though

From the Princess website:

"Starting Sept. 6, vaccinated guests sailing on voyages of less than 16 days with the exception of Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other special itineraries will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to upload proof of vaccination while getting OceanReady. Unvaccinated guests, or those who do not provide proof of vaccination, on those itineraries will self-test within three days of sailing and upload proof of a negative test before boarding."

I hope they don't count total days of a B2B as one voyage.

I have a B2B cruises in January. Both are 10 day cruises, so according to the 16 day or fewer rule, I should not need a test prior to boarding the first cruise. 

I booked one cruise first and then booked the second later when I was able to get the same cabin.  I have two booking numbers. I have two separate final payments.  I have already loaded my vaccination card into the Ocean Ready separately for each cruise.  

I did a B2B last January as well.  Two booking numbers.  Two final payments. Two portfolios on board.  Two cruise credits. 

And, of course, by January the whole world could be changed again.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I hope they don't count total days of a B2B as one voyage.

It sounds like their discriminating  against those people that book 20 day B2B cruises. Perhaps it's just an oversight & will be addressed very soon.

13 hours ago, marco2111 said:

If you get covid on board the ships, is paxlovid available to be prescribed by the ship's doctors. 

Thanks,

Karen

The medical office onboard Enchanted told us this past week that anti virals are ineffective for the current strains of Covid. So, no… not even if you have cancer. Oncologist told us the same thing before we cruised with his blessing.

Edited by Adventures ahead
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

Just to re-verify so I won't experience a bad surprise at the port; the proctored antigen test offered by Rapid Test and Trace online ARE accepted by Princess? Is this correct?  The website claims good for travel to Canada and on cruises.  I already did a "test run" with them and it was simple, easy and quick.

https://rapidtestandtrace.com

We're cruising on Sky Princess on 20 August from Southampton. We understood Princess have relaxed the rules on antigen tests.

My wife had a booster over 270 days ago so rang Princess UK to confirm no certificated antigen tests were required.

She was advised to still take an antigen test and bring the negative certification to the port at embarcation.

I don't think they know what they're doing. It's pretty shambolic all round.

1 hour ago, Adventures ahead said:

The medical office onboard Enchanted told us this past week that anti virals are ineffective for the current strains of Covid. So, no… not even if you have cancer. Oncologist told us the same thing before we cruised with his blessing.

There is also a substantial list of medications that are not compatible with paxlovid. When my 86 yo dad asked the urgent care doctor about it, he was not able to have it. Plus his symptoms were very mild, so it wasn't recommended anyhow. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Muffinz said:

So it looks like we still have to test before boarding in Sydney (Australia)??

that could all change before February 2023 though

The FAQ's testing protocols for Australian cruises has not been updated since June (below).   I guess they still apply?

Based on current Australian requirements for cruising, all guests will require a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 24 hours for Rapid-Antigen Test (RAT)
  • Within 72 hours for PCR
  •  

Guests who have been approved for a vaccination exemption will also be advised of additional protocols upon arrival at the cruise terminal.

Guests who travel internationally should ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

46 minutes ago, donswife said:

There is also a substantial list of medications that are not compatible with paxlovid. When my 86 yo dad asked the urgent care doctor about it, he was not able to have it. Plus his symptoms were very mild, so it wasn't recommended anyhow. 

Good point!  Each person should check with their Dr before sailing, to see if their a candidate for Paxlovid or other antiviral, just in case.