Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

11 hours ago, donswife said:

There is also a substantial list of medications that are not compatible with paxlovid. When my 86 yo dad asked the urgent care doctor about it, he was not able to have it. Plus his symptoms were very mild, so it wasn't recommended anyhow. 

Also the problem with Paxlovid is that you are good for about 5 days and you may even test negative and then you get the dreaded "rebound", where symptoms return and tests return to positive.

Edited by suzyed
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It sounds like their discriminating  against those people that book 20 day B2B cruises. Perhaps it's just an oversight & will be addressed very soon.

Since I booked two cruises separately, I think I should be ok.  I won't need to test before the first one and if they want to test me before the second one it'll be up to them since I'll already be on board.

We can only hope that common sense will prevail - something sometimes in short supply.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suzyed said:

Also the problem with Paxlovid is that you are good for about 5 days and you may even test negative and then you get the dreaded "rebound", where symptoms return and tests return to positive.

Did this happen to you, Susan? 

15 minutes ago, wallslo said:

heading out in November for a repositioning cruise.   Vancouver to LA       looks like no covid test is needed now.   Is that correct?

You might want to read this again:  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/

You are departing from Canada and Canada has not budged from existing protocols.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wallslo said:

heading out in november for a repositioning cruise.   Vancouver to LA       looks like no covid test is needed now.   Is that correct?

Not sure that is correct.  Canada is still requiring tests for now.   But who knows what it will be in November.   We're sailing in October so waiting to see how it goes.

45 minutes ago, memoak said:

And you will need to fill out ArriveCAN unless things change

Canadian Government says No, (but Princess seems to misread things)

Cruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

same as Australia...

I had to go back and read the statement that Princess had released on the Wire.  It would seem that testing is required when the departure port is from places like "Canada, Greece and Australia",  it would not apply if the cruise were ending (i.e. disembarkation) in Canada as I had read in another thread.

3 hours ago, blizzard44ca said:

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

Of course - ArriveCAN is supposed to be for returning/arriving in Canada from outside the country.  It is not for domestic usage, so if PCL is doing this, who knows why (rhetoric).

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Of course - ArriveCAN is supposed to be for returning/arriving in Canada from outside the country.  It is not for domestic usage, so if PCL is doing this, who knows why (rhetoric).

Not even sure how you’d fill it out. Doesn’t it require you to state where you are returning? (I know the question comes up regularly for what the port in Victoria is called)

Regardless, Princess has it as a listed requirement for our cruise from YVR to LA. Likely a generic listing for AK cruises, but we’ll see what the say when we check in.

11 hours ago, blizzard44ca said:

Not even sure how you’d fill it out. Doesn’t it require you to state where you are returning? (I know the question comes up regularly for what the port in Victoria is called)

Regardless, Princess has it as a listed requirement for our cruise from YVR to LA. Likely a generic listing for AK cruises, but we’ll see what the say when we check in.

We had to complete ArriveCan for our recent Alaska Cruise due to our stop in Victoria.  Currently it is required for our Canada/New England sailing as it starts in Canada.
Sounds like any time you embark or stop in Canada, the arriveCan is required.

• Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status prior to embarkation. Pre-cruise testing is no longer required, except for cruises to Canada, Bermuda, Greece and Australia (per local guidelines), and on voyages 16 nights or longer.

14 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

it would not apply if the cruise were ending (i.e. disembarkation) in Canada as I had read in another thread.

If you follow the link provided by Princess https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start that would seem to be true for fully vaccinated. Princess Chat confirmed this.

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You might want to read this again:  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/

You are departing from Canada and Canada has not budged from existing protocols.

thanks     i found this on the Arrive Can site

Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.

Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status.

But, i will wait and see if Princess updates the policy     better safe than sorry!!

55 minutes ago, wallslo said:

thanks     i found this on the Arrive Can site

Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.

Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status.

But, i will wait and see if Princess updates the policy     better safe than sorry!!

In your post #2030 (which I replied to), you said your were cruising from Vancouver to LA.  You are departing Canada on a cruise.  Test required.  Yes, you may be entering Canada first to get on the ship.  If entering via land/air, you don't need a test if fully vaccinated.  In your post #2030, it read as though you were thinking no test for the cruise.

got it    thanks for the clarification.   the way that covid is going  (down)     i bet by november things will change again!     BTW     great price on a repositioning cruise.     thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts

On 8/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, wallslo said:

heading out in november for a repositioning cruise.   Vancouver to LA       looks like no covid test is needed now.   Is that correct?

I"m on a cruise in October that stops in Canada.  Testing is still required after September 6.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, Muffinz said:

On 8/13/2022 at 11:46 PM, nini said:

Canada is not included in this. Their government requires it still.

same as Australia...

3 hours ago, nini said:

I hope it goes away by next March!

But Australian cruisers self-test just like UK between now and September 6th