Are there any secret MDR menu items?

6 minutes ago, marjoriemcdonaldd11 said:

I've heard of savory bites and Philippine buns but haven't had the chance to try them yet. Are there any other secret menu items?

Not sure how secret they are anymore but they have awesome off menu Indian dishes. Let your servers know and ask to dish them for a different little side dish every night. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 6

This may not be that exciting but they always have baked potatoes. I know that's something that a lot of people with food sensitivities can order, or those just looking for something plain. If nothing on the menu sounds appealing I get the side salad and a baked potato, always reliable.

• Like 4

Not a secret, but if the sides to my chosen entree are not to my mood I scan the other entree descriptions and order sides that are to my mood.

Also, sometimes I'm in the mood for a banana split off the kids' menu.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Not sure how secret they are anymore but they have awesome off menu Indian dishes. Let your servers know and ask to dish them for a different little side dish every night. 

I was going to say this as well 🙂

7 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

This may not be that exciting but they always have baked potatoes. I know that's something that a lot of people with food sensitivities can order, or those just looking for something plain. If nothing on the menu sounds appealing I get the side salad and a baked potato, always reliable.

I love baked potatoes, and ask for one almost every night.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

On our Harmony cruise in September our Indian waiter asked us if we liked Indian food and when I said I did he told me there would be an Indian dish available every night and just to ask about it. I did take him up on it one evening and had a really good lamb curry.

I remember many cc members used to talk about "savory bites".  SO on our last cruise, we asked our waiter about them.  He was funny, and so kind, as not only did he bring them that night, but every night following that one  (We only thought they were ok but ate them as didn't want to hurt his feelings...lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RCL used to have a dessert sampler plate with 3 different sweets, one of them was a flourless chocolate cake that was so delicious. I asked on one of our cruises if they could prepare this cake for us one evening and they did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

RCL used to have a dessert sampler plate with 3 different sweets, one of them was a flourless chocolate cake that was so delicious. I asked on one of our cruises if they could prepare this cake for us one evening and they did. 

I remember that. The chocolate cake was the only one of the three I liked. 😄

7 hours ago, FionaMG said:

On our Harmony cruise in September our Indian waiter asked us if we liked Indian food and when I said I did he told me there would be an Indian dish available every night and just to ask about it. I did take him up on it one evening and had a really good lamb curry.

We had this on a different cruise several years ago. On our first night in the MDR, we mentioned to our head waiter that we had noticed that the WJ had some great Indian food for lunch on this particular cruise. He was in complete agreement, and an Indian entree, in addition to the standard menu items, appeared every night. 

Edited by CruiseMrB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseMrB said:

We had this on a different cruise several years ago. On our first night in the MDR, we mentioned to our head waiter that we had noticed that the WJ had some great Indian food for lunch on this particular cruise. He was in complete agreement, and an Indian entree, in addition to the standard menu items, appeared every night. 

On Jewel of the Seas a few years ago on the east bound transatlantic we had a waiter called Amal who was from India and mentioned on the first night about the Indian menu. It’s the only cruise we have found this on where they had a full Indian menu in print each night with I think three starters and three mains.

We ordered a couple of nights from this menu and it was absolutely fantastic.

• Like 2

We've sailed a few times with friends who are Thai and Lao. On our Alaska cruise a few years ago they asked the waiters if we could have a nice Thai style fried rice. We agreed on a night and they brought a fabulous platter for our table!

I'm a fan of the savory bites and the chilled soups and usually request those as well.

We find the wait staff very helpful with special requests.

Barb

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Vidalia onion tart still exists but it is not as good as in the past. Yuck.

That is what we found the last time we had it, way too many onions and not sliced thin enough.  It used to be so good we would ask for extra the first night.

Do they still have the vegan menu on request? Before COVID they started printing a menu with several dinner options each night, has anyone seen this continue recently? Also would it be available in Coastal Kitchen? 

- Asking for a vegan-eating friend travelling with us. 

Cold soup is an item that has disappeared from menus the last few years, sometimes served one day during the cruise.

On our last cruise I asked our waiter to see if the chef could make some for our table. He came thru and made a different flavor each night on 7-day cruise.

• Like 3