Edge vs Reflection

chiguypaul

Hello. RCL Diamond member here who has not been on Celebrity in years. Our family is looking for a RCL break and we booked the Reflection for December 2022. It was a tough choice between the Edge and the Reflection. The Reflection was less money and has one additional day. Am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Is the Edge that much better for the additional money? I can afford the additional Edge costs, but don't want to spend if the Reflection is still a great ship. Thanks!

Edited by chiguypaul
Changed confusing wording.

27 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You are not being foolish.  The extra day is well worth it.  Reflection is a great ship, and you will have an extra day to enjoy it.

31 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

Hello. RCL Diamond member here who has not been on Celebrity in years. Our family is looking for a RCL break and we booked the Reflection for December 2022. It was a tough choice between the Edge and the Reflection. The Reflection was less money and has one additional day. Am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Is the Edge that much better for the additional money? I can afford the additional Edge costs, but don't want to spend if the Reflection is still a great ship. Thanks!

We made the decision made with looking at youtubes on the two ships.  We wanted an unrevolutionized ship, so we chose the Reflection.  Everyone will have a different reaction.

• Like 1

Just now, chiguypaul said:

@Momma Rene, can you explain what you mean by unrevolutionized ship?

In my mind, it is the glitzy, modern way of cruising.  Please look at youtube and you will see the differences.  I was looking for cozy, comfortable, not glitzy cruising.  If you family includes children and younger adults, the revolutionized ships may be more appealing.  

• Thanks 1

I have sailed twice on Edge and will sail for the second time  on Reflection next week (🤞🏻).  I love both ships equally.  In December, I would likely book the ship with the extra day to get as far away from winter as possible!  Guessing by your screen name, we’re experiencing the same frigid temps today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chiguypaul said:

What class of room did you book?  That would make a difference for me.  For instance, if you were going to splurge for a suite, I would go for a ship that has been renovated or one of the newer ships.  If Aqua class, I would go for the Edge.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keesar said:

What class of room did you book?  That would make a difference for me.  For instance, if you were going to splurge for a suite, I would go for a ship that has been renovated or one of the newer ships.  If Aqua class, I would go for the Edge.  

Totally agree if in a suite I would go for edge if not I would go for the extra day.

I have been on both ships.  In my opinion your choice will depend on two things:

1.  itinerary - which islands and sea days appeal to you the most

2. what kind of cabin you books.  

We book a cabin category with a balcony.  If you like being outdoors on your balcony - REFLECTION all the way!  We didn't care for the IV on the Edge.  If we go back on the E class ships it will only be in a suite or a Sunset Veranda.  Both ships are top notch!

47 minutes ago, keesar said:

Not us. Inside cabins.

3 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

The Reflection is a wonderful ship been on her many times

Love all the S class ships 

• Thanks 1

DH and I prefer S class ships (Reflection). We were not all that crazy about the Edge. It is a beautiful ship but I think S class is a nicer overall layout. So I would not pay more to sail the Edge class. Now I do love the Edge cabin bathrooms but the Infinite verandas are not for everyone... the veranda area is really cramped and smaller than an S class one. Art is fabulous on Edge...but not enough to over come other issues. I like being able to look out across the bow when leaving port... on Edge you can only see forward from the Retreat area... On Reflection...the Sky Lounge is a nice spot for that. I liked the 4 restaurant idea on Edge...DH did not like that.... If you are not a sun person ...ie like to spend a lot of time on the pool decks.. you will find few bars to hang out at... more inside bars on S class ships.  Now Edge is worth trying..but I would not say you made a mistake booking with Reflection...  Eden was interesting to experience...but chairs were too uncomfortable to linger in.   

• Thanks 1

We did a sideways cruise late last year on Apex and Reflection,  both in S1 Sky suites. Apex is beautiful but honestly I liked my Reflection cruise better. Cabin was larger, balcony also.  Furniture older but more comfortable.  I just felt more comfortable on Reflection. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

Not us. Inside cabins.

I’m guessing you and your family are not going to be hanging out in your inside cabins much. Let me just say this. The Edge cost $1.2 billion to build, it’s beautiful and there are a bunch of cool places for your family to hang out in, not counting the 4 MDRs you’ll be able to eat it. The Reflection, cost a lot less with fewer cool places to hang out in. If this is your first Celebrity cruise and you want your family to be wowed, spend the few extra bucks and book the Edge. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I’m guessing you and your family are not going to be hanging out in your inside cabins much. Let me just say this. The Edge cost $1.2 billion to build, it’s beautiful and there are a bunch of cool places for your family to hang out in, not counting the 4 MDRs you’ll be able to eat it. The Reflection, cost a lot less with fewer cool places to hang out in. If this is your first Celebrity cruise and you want your family to be wowed, spend the few extra bucks and book the Edge. 

Respectfully, I disagree. Edge is about glitz. Has “cool features” but lacks the functionality of the Reflection. We always find wonderful places to relax and enjoy on Reflection. Edge felt stuffier. More like South Beach. Super sexy, but nothing beyond the outer shell. The IV is awful for us! Not a balcony at all. For insides, I would go for the better ship that meets your needs. More days, more better 😁

26 minutes ago, killsport said:

Respectfully, I disagree. Edge is about glitz. Has “cool features” but lacks the functionality of the Reflection. We always find wonderful places to relax and enjoy on Reflection. Edge felt stuffier. More like South Beach. Super sexy, but nothing beyond the outer shell. The IV is awful for us! Not a balcony at all. For insides, I would go for the better ship that meets your needs. More days, more better 😁

That’s fine as both are great ships and I agree with you regarding the IV cabins on the E class ships. If we had to pick, we would much prefer the aft-facing SV cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

We did a sideways cruise late last year on Apex and Reflection,  both in S1 Sky suites. Apex is beautiful but honestly I liked my Reflection cruise better. Cabin was larger, balcony also.  Furniture older but more comfortable.  I just felt more comfortable on Reflection. 

That is why we booked the Reflection.  We are in a Celebrity Suite, mid ship with that large angle cabin.  With covid, we were thinking being on our balcony would be wonderful.