What is your favorite & least favorite change since you started cruising HAL?

mrspeck

We’ve only been cruising with HAL since 2009 and in that fairly short time there have been many changes, some good, some not so good. My top change for the good would be the multiple music venues in the evening. (Also up near the top is Dive In.)  Now, there are many negative changes that have taken place too, but the one thing that I absolutely miss the most is probably one that is so trivial, maybe no one else has even noticed.  I really despise that they switched the Elemis Sharp Shower Body Wash to what now seems like they just use the Elemis shampoo for both.  I associate the smell of sharp shower gel with cruising and relaxing and wish they’d bring it back!  What changes do you like/despise?…trivial or otherwise?

• Like 5

Plus:

* Grand Dutch Cafe (especially the pea soup and the apple bacon pancake!)

* The new life boat drill procedures.

* The new music venues and quality of the musicians.

* Nice selection of movies and tv shows on the cabin TV's.

* Fun movie snacks during outdoor movies by the pool.

Minus:

* Unable to bring soda or plastic water bottles onboard any longer.

* No more free fresh squeezed OJ for non-suite guests.

* Chocolates left on the pillow only select nights.

* Less variety on the main stage.

I'm sure some of the changes are financial, and some covid related.  I'm still grateful for all the HAL still provides, especially the professional and friendly service of the staff.

• Like 5

I like this threads d agree with all the pluses & minuses above. Loved watching the Lido staff making fresh Orange juice with the big squeezing machine! And the wide promenades overlooking the sea were what set HAL apart.

I miss the Yum Yum man. Do I remember correctly that he walked through a lounge played a little chime to announce that the dining room was open for dinner?

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I like this threads d agree with all the pluses & minuses above. Loved watching the Lido staff making fresh Orange juice with the big squeezing machine! And the wide promenades overlooking the sea were what set HAL apart.

I miss the Yum Yum man. Do I remember correctly that he walked through a lounge played a little chime to announce that the dining room was open for dinner?

Yes, he had some type of bell that he struck with a mallet.

• Like 2

Agree with others about the promenade.  It was a lovely place to read a book and fall asleep lol.  What I wish would come back are the round trip transatlantics.  We did it twice, once on the Maasdam and once on the Veendam, and those were my hands down favorite sailings ever.

• Like 7

I also  agree about the Promenade Deck. We have not yet cruised on a Pinnacle Class ship, the cruise we were suppose to have been on was cancelled due to the virus. Hope to change that very soon. 

• Like 1

Least favourite : The hiring of Orlando Ashford

Favourite : The firing of Orlando Ashford

Everything that happened in between those two events would require too many pages of this thread to comment on.  Let's just say the man was responsible for most of the negative comments that will be talked about in this thread. 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Least favourite : The hiring of Orlando Ashford

Favourite : The firing of Orlando Ashford

Everything that happened in between those two events would require too many pages of this thread to comment on.  Let's just say the man was responsible for most of the negative comments that will be talked about in this thread. 😉

And this thread barely got started....

Negatives:

--Preprogrammed corporate entertainment. Every music program on every ship is identical. Instead of Adagio fumbling through a pile of sheet music, you get Peanuts to Piaf on ipads on every ship. Boring.

--dance programs instead of shows. Some of the old shows were awful, some were inspired, but each ship had its own pair of shows. 

--No more chocolate-covered stawberries in the espresso cafe, no Lido unlimited lobster night.

--Crow's Nest changed from a library/lounger space into a bar/infotainment center to sell excursions.

--Loss of promenades--apart from exercise and escape from crowds, its the ideal place to watch sunsets, waves, and spot whales. 

--Post-closure, no discounts for solo passengers. I went on 4 cruises to Alaska and Mexico on Princess, Carnival, and Royal last year at a third of the cost of HAL. 

--Lack of crew diversity--only male Indonesians in MDR, only Filipinos get to handle money. I've met crew from over 20 different countries on other lines. 

--Bigger isn't better. I loved the smaller ships, smaller crowds.

--Cabanas. Waste of limited public space. Especially horrible on Lido pool deck. 

Positives:

--I like the HAL font, signage, hull paint, and logo. HAL ships are beautiful to look at.

--Interesting art and antiques, which varied by ship, before corporate deals and homogenization. 

--No more art auctions! ParkWest are sleazy scammers.

--Accepting environment for older gay/lesbian couples looking for a quality vacation.

--Lecturers, priests on every ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Miss most:

Loss of the libraries and the librarian.

Loss of the  blue and gold banded formal dinner ware in the main dining room.

Loss of the S class, the Prinsendam, and most of the R class ships.

Loss of dinner salads and cold soups in the main dining room

EXC In Depth Cruises on the Maasdam, and loss of over all enrichment programs

Enjoy:

Fresher menu items and more variety

Dive-In menu upgrades

Tamarind

The continued  graciously trained staff and crew - the HAL intangible edge

The end of the Oprah canned programs and all ship marketing concepts

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Positives: Tamarind,  Cabana Club 

I miss: The Crow's Nest.  Since the "reimagining",  I no longer go to that part of the ship.  

Still enjoy: excellent service, Promenade Decks on ships that have them (not interested in the new ships that don't)  

• Like 2

I miss Lobster on the second Gala night!  I loved the Koningsdam but the toilets are angled kinda weird in the cabins and the decks are too narrow to walk and view the beautiful scenary. Those Dance shows seem to be the same from precovid days, I swear i've seen the same dance reviews 4 times;  2 prior to covid days and 2 after.  I still love Holland America its the Best!

• Like 3