What is your favorite & least favorite change since you started cruising HAL?

mrspeck

On 1/10/2022 at 10:16 AM, J&J 01375 said:

Hunky Dorey. (Ten years ago Odam)

On Kdam in November I talked to the Tamarind manager -- whose name I just blanked out on, but has been with HAL for 20+ years and I've sailed with him before.  Anyway I specifically asked him about Imam (Hunky Dorey), whom I really miss.  He said that Imam is now comfortably retired back home in Indonesia.

• Like 2

Pros & Cons?

We’ve enjoyed various HAL ships, regardless of a particular class of the ship, various designs (I.e. promonade decks, libraries and such ) or accouterments of a particular voyage(s). Things constantly change.

What do we miss? Great memories of the past sometimes.

If one can not adapt, well then, another adventure(s) should be considered.

Regardless, enjoy and HAVE A great cruise!

Safe travels for all.

Be well.

Bob

• Thanks 1

Least Favorite Changes: miss the Surf ‘n turf night, chilled soups, baked Alaska, complimentary cappuccinos after dinner, the Indonesian Tea, Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza, cooking demos with samples, crafting classes, computer workshops, fresh flowers, promenade decks. (What is the best way to express this to HAL? Perhaps if enough speak up, some could get restored?)

Favorite Changes: Tamarind, Grand Dutch Cafe, emergency drill procedures, BB Kings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Least Favorite Changes: miss the Surf ‘n turf night, chilled soups, baked Alaska, complimentary cappuccinos after dinner, the Indonesian Tea, Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza, cooking demos with samples, crafting classes, computer workshops, fresh flowers, promenade decks. (What is the best way to express this to HAL? Perhaps if enough speak up, some could get restored?)

Many of us have been expressing our concern about these things for years to HAL via their post cruise customer surveys as well as letters and emails to HAL management.    It is evident that their view of what HAL should be is different from ours.  

Sadly the problem may be us.   So many shop for cruises solely on price.   To stay competitive HAL has probably been forced to cut expenses in the MDR, entertainment, flowers and so many other things.   Sort of what has happened to airline travel.   We all complain about the cramped seats and lack of amenities but if we find a fare that is $5 less than another we take it.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, syesmar said:

Favorite Changes: Tamarind, Grand Dutch Cafe, emergency drill procedures, BB Kings.

I agree with many of the things you miss but did want to point out that the Rotterdam had plenty of fresh flowers throughout last week. Also, she (along with all HAL ships) has a full wraparound promenade deck. Not wide enough for the steamer chairs but certainly suitable for daily walks shaded from the elements. I think when people say they miss the promenade they really mean they miss the lounge chairs and should specify that as those not in the know may think there is no promenade at all which is incorrect.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

promenade decks

This is still there, right?  We enjoyed walking the promenade deck after dinner on the new Rotterdam in October 2021.  (and previously on the newer K'dam and NS) It's been on every HAL ship we have sailed.

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

cooking demos with samples,

We went to a cooking class (Dec 21) on the NA and the chef cooked up an awesome Red Snapper with coconut water......We have the recipe and plan to try it out.  Yep, no eating it but that was ok, lots of us were breathing on it!

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza

While sitting at the Billboard Onboard piano bar one night, (December 2021) stewards came by with trays of awesome chocolate desserts.  Does that count?  We sure enjoyed the surprise.

2 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

fresh flowers,

Her Majesty kept commenting on all the fresh flowers on the Rotterdam and NA (October & December) and she didn't understand how they stayed so fresh and real as the cruise went on.  They were there.

Yea, agree on missing surf and turf and baked Alaska...but the bread pudding is still as good as ever...and enjoyed my beef filet.....and the pea soup in the Dutch Cafe is delicious too!

Thinking some of our favorites have "evolved" over time...and yes, some do go away....but new ones pop up.....Change is the only constant....just hope we can sail soon without wearing a rag on my face and having to get a stick up my nostril....that's what I really do not like with cruising today!

Smooth sailing........

• Like 7

20 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

Miss: Guest speakers and good entertainment in the theatre.  Music walk is meh for me. 

Love: Pinnacle clas ships. 

Agree about entertainment in the theater.  If one does not care for contemporary dance shows, the World Stage offers little for this cruiser.  

5 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Many of us have been expressing our concern about these things for years to HAL via their post cruise customer surveys as well as letters and emails to HAL management.    It is evident that their view of what HAL should be is different from ours.  

Sadly the problem may be us.   So many shop for cruises solely on price.   To stay competitive HAL has probably been forced to cut expenses in the MDR, entertainment, flowers and so many other things.   Sort of what has happened to airline travel.   We all complain about the cramped seats and lack of amenities but if we find a fare that is $5 less than another we take it.  

Very well said!  

I miss: Prinsendam, cold fruit soups, daily tea (maybe they will be back by my next cruise in March), and having my TA do my check-ins. 

I do not like:  the reduced menus (although it does mirror the reduced grocery store shelves, so maybe that’s why), the corkage on a bottle of wine that I only want to drink in my room, and the libraries mixed in with the Crow’s Nest on some ships. I haven’t been on the newest ships because they’re bigger and from what I hear, nothing special compared to the Elegant Explorer. 

But, as a former Seabee, I must remember our motto: Semper Gumby (Always Flexible) 😁

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

I agree.    

My favourite change since starting cruising on HAL has been the revised smoking policy, starting with the elimination of smoking on balconies.

My least favourite? Hmmm, nothing really jumps out at me. Maybe the general decline in the quality of the food in the MDR, but I can't say that I've ever lost weight on a HAL cruise! 😇

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 11:51 AM, rj59 said:

Negatives:

--Lack of crew diversity--only male Indonesians in MDR, only Filipinos get to handle money. I've met crew from over 20 different countries on other lines. 

Actually, the Front Office was fully staffed by Indonesians when I started sailing in the mid-1970's. It was predominately male but I do remember one female Indonesian staff member. Many of these staff members went on to become Front Office Managers and

Pursers with HAL, as well as, Hotel Managers at 4/5 star hotels in Indonesia. All Officers were Dutch. Filipinos worked primarily in positions where they had minimal interaction with passengers, with the exception of the bands. They were all Filipino. I don't understand your comment about handling money.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, USN59-79 said:

To correct something that @rj59 mentioned, it isn't that Filipinos handle money and Indonesians don't, the issue is that Indonesians are mostly Muslim and thus because of their religion don't handle alcoholic beverages.  Thus, the bartenders and wine servers will be Filipino.

Again back in the mid-1970's, all bartenders/wine stewards/etc. were Indonesian. This was the case until around 2005-2006 (I don't remember exact dates) when these positions were then filled with Filipinos. Many of the Indonesians that worked in these positions moved to other jobs. Not all Indonesians are Muslim.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, Bostonjetset said:

It’s always interesting how a negative for some is a positive for others. I think the homogenous (Indonesian and Filipino) crew is a huge positive for HAL. It seems to create an atmosphere of comfort and familiarity that they enjoy as they get to be around their countryman.  I’ve sailed other lines with a mishmash of nationalities and the camaraderie between the crew is noticeably absent. 

You are absolutely correct! Having had many chats with Captains, Hotel Managers, Officers, etc., over the years, many have  commented that one of the reasons they liked working with HAL was because of the "atmosphere of comfort and familiarity" with the crew. For this same reason, many of the crew return to HAL over and over.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, Navybikermom said:

I do not like:  the reduced menus (although it does mirror the reduced grocery store shelves, so maybe that’s why),

Supply chain issues are not the reason for the menus offered prior to Covid.  May be an issue currently for the guests.  But, I suspect--from what I read on other message boards--the quality of the foods being served is a larger issue that may be a supply chain issue.

4 hours ago, adrift@sea said:

Negatives:

--Lack of crew diversity--

???  If anything, the crew diversity has increased during my most recent cruises.  Chefs from India being just one example of my experience.  

On 1/19/2022 at 11:34 AM, rkacruiser said:

Supply chain issues are not the reason for the menus offered prior to Covid.  May be an issue currently for the guests.  But, I suspect--from what I read on other message boards--the quality of the foods being served is a larger issue that may be a supply chain issue.

???  If anything, the crew diversity has increased during my most recent cruises.  Chefs from India being just one example of my experience.  

Indian chefs are not new. My first HAL cruise on Volendam in 2013 had an Indian chef who was excellent. After a meal sitting he visited tables of diners who had not yet left to enquire as to their enjoyment of their meal. At dinner one night we (table of eight) had a "to die for" chocolate dessert. We asked the waiter if it would be repeated later in the cruise and were told, sorry, no. Last night of the cruise, much to our surprise, our table was served the chocolate dessert we liked so much, and, larger helpings. The chef then came out to say g'day, wish us well, and joined in some good banter on the subject of Australia v India cricket. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my top items.

Hits:

Good itineraries 

Tamarind

Terrific crew

Nightly chocolate (available upon request)

Music Walk

Misses:

Sale of Maasdam & Prinsendam & loss of their itineraries 

Repetitive programming from ship to ship and year to year (EXC, Step One, even Lincoln Center)

Loss of independent enrichment lecturers

Contact with senior officers onboard

Onboard billing issues

Website

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 9:37 PM, sevigny said:

I miss the Prinsendam the most.  To us, she was the epitome of what HAL cruising was.  I laugh when I remember one of our earlier agents telling me that she had found a replacement cruise for us for the summer of 2002, but she couldn’t recommend it, as it was on the Prinsendam, “a very old ship that she didn’t think we would like “. We took the chance, and cruised to Alaska on her.  We never looked back.  Every time we sailed on her, it was as if we came home.  

As for good things, I love the idea of the classical music on the music walk, and the Tamarind.  

My fave ship!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Repetitive programming from ship to ship and year to year (EXC, Step One, even Lincoln Center)

Loss of independent enrichment lecturers

Contact with senior officers onboard

Agree with these three items.  

EXC lecturers (or whatever they are called) have improved since that position was instituted, I think.

Independent enrichment lecturers, the quality of whom, vary from voyage to voyage, but are they ever seen during the cruises that are not considered Grand Voyages or cruises such as the Panama Canal cruises?

Contact with Senior Officers seems to depend on the personality and wishes of the ship's Officers.  Some are more "guest friendly" than others.  A complaint that I have heard from some of these Officers is that so much of their work day is filled with dealing with micro-management issues caused by the "suits" in Seattle.  Maybe doesn't leave much time for them to be "guest oriented"?  

• Thanks 1

I am just getting back to cruising, always with HAL, after 2 years. OK, my Swiss Army Knife falls within the 2.5 in by 1/2 in rule. Check. 

Then I read this.

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

I can understand not wanting plastic on board that they have to deal with.  Or that people throw in the Ocean.  So what about re-usable water bottles you can put dry gatoraide in????  Not allowing canned (highly recyclable) fruit juices is not conducive to healthy pax.  Its an attempt to make more money out of the pax that now chose HAL and to come back to cruising.  

Two years ago, I thought there was good access to officers....there is the Capt's lecture and a lecture with the cap and his female officers....Yes, I would like more.