HAL Approved Covid Test KIts

gdy0354

From the HAL website: 

Holland America Line has partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door. These at-home test include a telehealth service. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your Optum test kit or Radeas test kit online. 

Radeas: https://cruise.radeas.com *

Optum: https://store.optum.com *

22 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

We also bought extra ( only 2 each though!) just in case.  Ours arrived within 3 days or ordering.

We also bought 2 each, but they sent us 3 each!  Same price, so not complaining.

• Haha 1

I purchased the 6 pack from Emed.....only needed one, but now they are all gone.   No one can get covid tests around here without about 1 week wait.   I thought I'd never go thru 6 of them, but yesterday I just ordered 6 more.   They are expensive, but when you need one and can't find one you'll be glad you have a few stockpiled.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

I purchased the 6 pack from Emed.....only needed one, but now they are all gone.   No one can get covid tests around here without about 1 week wait.   I thought I'd never go thru 6 of them, but yesterday I just ordered 6 more.   They are expensive, but when you need one and can't find one you'll be glad you have a few stockpiled.

Holland America accepted the results from our Abbott BinaxNow Home Tests from  eMed.com  for our Zuiderdam Holiday cruise.  I ordered another box last Monday, delivered by Fed Ex on Wednesday morning with expiration of Nov. 21, 2022. and will use them for upcoming Hawaii Cruise.  I sent the receipt to my health insurance and was reimbursed for the full amount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We bought 4 boxes from the optum store that we used to return to the US last month from our trip to Europe. It's always good to take 2 boxes each. One lady posted a comment that when she opened her box during her telehealth, the bottle was empty. 

It looks like a lot of people go to emed. When we checked there last year,  it was on backorder, so we got it from the optum store. They don't require you to buy a 6 pack. You can buy a 2 pack. We bought 2 of those.

We also buy the BinaxNow box that is sold in the pharmacy. It costs $23.99 per box and it brings two tests and those you can do it at home or while traveling. You cannot use it to travel back to the US or to cruise since it's not being monitored through telehealth. But it's good to have for your own use.

Last week we bought another 4 boxes from optum, it arrived the next day. It will expire on Nov 2022 so this will work for our travels this year. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, Loreto said:

Holland America accepted the results from our Abbott BinaxNow Home Tests from  eMed.com  for our Zuiderdam Holiday cruise.  I ordered another box last Monday, delivered by Fed Ex on Wednesday morning with expiration of Nov. 21, 2022. and will use them for upcoming Hawaii Cruise.  I sent the receipt to my health insurance and was reimbursed for the full amount. 

wow, that's awesome news.....I'm so glad you wrote this as it prompted me to make a phone call to my insurance company and YES, they told me mine was covered too.   You just saved me $200.....THANK YOU!!!!

A little off topic, but you can order free home test kits from the government beginning January 19, 2022.  These do not appear to be good for proof of negative test for cruising, because they are not monitored.  I plan on ordering them and taking them with me on our February 3rd cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, carnivaljunkie said:

…you can order free home test kits from the government beginning January 19, 2022.  These do not appear to be good for proof of negative test for cruising, because they are not monitored.  I plan on ordering them and taking them with me on our February 3rd cruise.

I think this is a good plan. In addition to the insurance reimbursement (USA) for the medically-supervised tests pre-cruise, I think it is a good idea to also order the free tests by mail. I have communicated with several passengers on other lines who took their own self-tests and when the ship’s staff wouldn’t test them, had the self-tests as a backup. When testing positive onboard, the isolation, medical and travel expenses were taken care of by the cruise line. In their case, had they waited until after disembarkation to get tested, they would have been responsible for all isolation, medical and travel expenses themselves (or via insurance). I know each line’s policy varies, but think having a supply of self-tests would be beneficial to a traveler.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 4:29 PM, Boatdrill said:

From the HAL website: 

Holland America Line has partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door. These at-home test include a telehealth service. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your Optum test kit or Radeas test kit online. 

Radeas: https://cruise.radeas.com *

Optum: https://store.optum.com *

We ordered from Optum at the above website on January 11.  I ordered a two-pack for each of us, and I ordered one set under his name and one set under my name  (which I probably didn’t need to, but I’m trying to do everything exactly right! 😛). My husband’s two kits arrived Jan. 13.  My order is still in transit, but I’m not worried because our cruise is in late February.  Expiration date on the kit is Dec. 2022.

One word of advice, which Optum will tell you when you order. The kits are temperature sensitive, and are supposed to be stored at 30 degrees F or above — so you have to watch carefully for your delivery if you live where the temps are frigid right now!  Don’t let it sit on your front stoop all day.

Ours were ordered on 11th, shipped by Fed EX and supposedly going to arrive on the 13th. Now, the 15th and delivery date is pending..............not too worried as our cruise is a bit out and these are just for back up and now we have potentially serious weather ahead of us. Will wait a few days before requesting further tracking.................

Hi, are any of these tests available for us to order in the UK. We are booked on the first Alaska sailing on Koningsdam in May and we will need to take a test in Vancouver. We will have been on Rocky Mountaineer before arriving in Vancouver, so know we need to test prior to entering Canada. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:16 AM, syesmar said:

I think this is a good plan. In addition to the insurance reimbursement (USA) for the medically-supervised tests pre-cruise, I think it is a good idea to also order the free tests by mail. I have communicated with several passengers on other lines who took their own self-tests and when the ship’s staff wouldn’t test them, had the self-tests as a backup. When testing positive onboard, the isolation, medical and travel expenses were taken care of by the cruise line. In their case, had they waited until after disembarkation to get tested, they would have been responsible for all isolation, medical and travel expenses themselves (or via insurance). I know each line’s policy varies, but think having a supply of self-tests would be beneficial to a traveler.

I ordered the free tests. We plan on taking them with us just in case. 

So, my Home Tests have arrived in the mail. What do I do next? Do I download an app? Some people mention an app. Other people don't. Do I just go to the website? Why one? Now, I am stressing because I expected some instructions to be in the test kits but there is nothing! I'll probably just stick with Walgreens....

• 4 months later...

@rockingalaskayes you can use the US government supplied kits but have the have it proctored by any of several online services. (Or proctored by any certified medical personnel who can supply an official test report.  I don't know what you are referring to by "rapid test and trace". Can you explain a bit in more detail?