Bringing beverages onboard

Denverbri69

48 minutes ago, Denverbri69 said:

I have not been on HAL is a few years... You used to be able to bring on water and soft drinks. Is that still the policy?

I think you can still bring water onboard, but ony if in cans (or glass bottles I assume).  Check HAL website for details.  No soft drinks though.  Nor wine unless you pay corkage of $20 per bottle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Really sad I can no longer bring the beverage (soft drink) that I prefer to drink onboard.  It's rare that I can  find regular caffeine free Coke onboard.  

Yeah, its all the new cash grab by the lines. But according to the COC,  you can bring 1 12 pack of canned soda or water on board at embarkation only. I think that sucks. I used to bring on board a couple of (1.5L or 2L, depending on the country of embarkation) bottles of CF Diet Coke at boarding and see if I could restock during the cruise at any ports we stopped at. I also carried a couple of 20oz bottles that I would refill and place in the mini-fridge for carrying around the ship or out on port excursions. 

17 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

The info posted above says (effective June 2021) :

image.thumb.png.1c4eeb1fabc5b713797e37017480f2b6.png

Where does it say differently?  

Hum, 

Maybe it changed again. At one point you could bring on the 12 pack of canned soda. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:20 AM, DaveOKC said:

I think you can still bring water onboard, but ony if in cans (or glass bottles I assume). 

Actually - the requirement is No Plastic....

You can also get water in paper cartons (See Amazon) - I was looking to get some shipped to my pre-cruise hotel via Amazon Prime, but when I placed the order they could not deliver in time - so that did not work out for me.

I know what the official rules state, but my wife brought on a 12 pack of soda in a carryon on our last two cruises.  She preferred Pepsi to Coke, but would not have had a problem if it was confiscated.  Both cruises were out of Fort Lauderdale pier 26 - Nieuw Amsterdam in November 2021 and Eurodam in January 2022.

14 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Can you bring on canned seltzer?

You should be able to as long as it is no more than the volume limit.  We brought on 2 12-packs of LaCroix sparkling water cans for our 2 cabins.  No questions asked other than "what is that" at x-ray station.  We told them and they were happy with our answer without even looking in the bag...you won't get that easy pass on Carnival!

• Like 1

Denverbri69,

In Dec., I brought 13 11oz paper bottles with protein shakes (Premier brand) for dietary reasons. I asked our cabin stewards to empty the mini fridge so I could store them. Done with a smile (and gave them each a cash gratuity in appreciation of the fast service). I had called HAL in advance and was told it was okay.

Jim

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 12:12 AM, AFNavigator said:

You should be able to as long as it is no more than the volume limit.  We brought on 2 12-packs of LaCroix sparkling water cans for our 2 cabins.  No questions asked other than "what is that" at x-ray station.  We told them and they were happy with our answer without even looking in the bag...you won't get that easy pass on Carnival!

Thank you

• 1 year later...

I keep reading conflicting information about bringing a bottle of wine on board. Some say if consumed in your cabin there is no corkage fee, but according to HAL's information, there is a corkage fee of $20 regardless of where it's consumed. 

Has anyone recently taken a bottle of wine on board to consume only in their cabin? Was there a corkage fee or not?

In the pre-covid days, we could bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (one per person in same cabin) that we could consume in cabin for no corkage fee.  Any more than 2 were subject to corkage fee.  Not positive it's still the same, but will look at for my Mar cruise out of FLL.

Just suck it up - you want to bring wine on board because you don’t want to purchase wine on board then EXPECT to pay $20 per bottle (cork or twist off ). If you don’t get caught and don’t have to pay go out and buy yourself a lottery ticket.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, knothead62 said:

I keep reading conflicting information about bringing a bottle of wine on board. Some say if consumed in your cabin there is no corkage fee, but according to HAL's information, there is a corkage fee of $20 regardless of where it's consumed. 

Has anyone recently taken a bottle of wine on board to consume only in their cabin? Was there a corkage fee or not?

Adults (at least 21 years old) may bring aboard a 'reasonable' amount of wine, in 750 ml or less bottles, and plan to pay $20 per bottle on each and every bottle. It doesn't matter where they plan to consume the wine. 

The rule changed in June, 2021 (I believe). 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Adults (at least 21 years old) may bring aboard a 'reasonable' amount of wine, in 750 ml or less bottles, and plan to pay $20 per bottle on each and every bottle. It doesn't matter where they plan to consume the wine. 

PLAN TO PAY - thank you @RuthC you are far more  diplomatic than I. But wise words - plan to pay it regardless of what port you sail from. If you manage to evade the corkage fee - this is an exception not a rule -@nd not something to which you are entitled to.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RuthC said:

Thanks, Ruth C. I just wanted clarification, and YES Toronto that was uncalled for!