Reef-safe sunscreen

shipgeeks

I notice that my cruise contract states that the US Virgin Islands requires that sunscreen be reef-safe.  Many other places require this as well.

Prohibited are products containing oxybenzone, octinoxate, octocrylene.  I've seen butylparaben listed as prohibited, too.

Recommended products contain non-nano zinc or titanium dioxide.

Should have done this years ago, when Mexico banned these carcinogens.  But I remember posters here saying that was just a scheme to get cruisers to buy a local sunscreen product.

Many catamaran snorkel operators also prohibit the use of spray sunscreens, as 90% of the product usually ends up on the boat itself rather than the person, causing a slip hazard and that is very difficult to clean up and winds up in the ocean waters anyway.

Snorkel groups usually shed the sunscreens and produced oil sheen layers that followed them in the water.  I doubt any fish or corals appreciated the fallout.

Edited by evandbob

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I notice that my cruise contract states that the US Virgin Islands requires that sunscreen be reef-safe.  Many other places require this as well.

Prohibited are products containing oxybenzone, octinoxate, octocrylene.  I've seen butylparaben listed as prohibited, too.

Recommended products contain non-nano zinc or titanium dioxide.

Your question made me check the one I keep on my fishing boat.  It is Banana Boat brand.  Says it is "reef friendly" under SPF 100.  I avoid salt water but figure why not have an eco friendly sunscreen regardless.  

I agree with EvandBob about the spray on sunscreen.  I gets all over everything.  

I am allergic to all except the mineral sunscreens.  There are plenty on the market from bargain brands to pricey designer versions.   They are actually  good for your skin also.  This has been a rule for a while. 

I never snorkel now without wearing long sleeves and board shorts so really only need sun screen on my lower legs , back of the neck and face and hands. 

This product is a game changer - it looks expensive - until you realise one 100ml tube  was used by my partner and I for over a month in Asian - using it every day-  it goes far further than anything else - and feels much nicer on too Skinnies Sungel SPF30 - Sustainable Sunscreen not Diluted With Water – Skinnies NZ - I believe you can get it overseas now 

Edited by lissie

On 1/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, PurpleHays said:

I'm a redhead, so sunscreen is important.

I saw this meme some time ago and laughed, since I have a redhaired child who I slather with SPF100 and who wears a long sleeve rash guard and shorts. So, he remains Irish-pale while I get to see platinum blonde kids with beautiful suntan because they are out all day and nobody puts long sleeve anything on them.... 🙂

3eddb352-004a-4fb0-977c-3fd01566c142_h350.jpg.70a7b83de0406921a55efee8e12bf039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I saw this meme some time ago and laughed, since I have a redhaired child who I slather with SPF100 and who wears a long sleeve rash guard and shorts. So, he remains Irish-pale while I get to see platinum blonde kids with beautiful suntan because they are out all day and nobody puts long sleeve anything on them.... 🙂

But you have the satisfaction of reducing the chance of your child dying from melanoma.

When I see whie-skinned Europeans lying around in the sun in Australia and NZ - when I see them allowing their children to do it its bordering on child neglect as far as I'm concerned. I may be biased my mother died of melanoma - its a nasty disease 

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Good point about wearing rash guards.  I see that more and more at beaches, and have noticed that some of the ships are providing them for crew who work outdoors.

That would be basic health and safety in many countries. 

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

But you have the satisfaction of reducing the chance of your child dying from melanoma.

I may be biased my mother died of melanoma - its a nasty disease 

Yes, of course! That is exactly why I am so careful. 

I am very sorry about your mom.

• Like 1

Many thanks to those sharing reef-safe brands.  Up to now I've pretty much grabbed whatever sunscreen was on the end cap.   I'm not sure if these brands are available in my area.   We shall see.   

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 12:00 PM, ldubs said:

Many thanks to those sharing reef-safe brands.  Up to now I've pretty much grabbed whatever sunscreen was on the end cap.   I'm not sure if these brands are available in my area.   We shall see.   

I ordered Badger direct from their website.

• Thanks 1

My derma surgeon told me I need to be using a mineral sunscreen daily and my dermatologist recommended Blue Lizard Sensitive 50. I have had a lot of skin cancers and my dad died from melanoma. I actually switched to mineral sunscreen years ago because of sensitivity and I love the undersea life so much I wanted to do my part.  I have used many different ones and the Blue Lizard doesn't make me as white as most of the others I've tried.