Debarking ship at end of cruise

colesc15

Our luggage tag number is 44 which has an assigned time of leaving of like 8:45. If we keep our luggage in the room, even though self assist is at like 6:45, is it allowed to still leave at designated tag 44 time with our own luggage? We've done it before, but not sure it's technically allowed.. 

The most important thing to the crew with debarking is making sure all the passengers are off the ship in a timely manner.  There is lots for them to do before embarkation begins in a matter of hours.

I would just just follow whatever protocol for your Group #44 - example, if you are to gather in a particular location, then be there with your luggage.  Debark the ship with your group.

Have fun!

2 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Keep your luggage and disembark when the process starts.  No need to wait for your group.  This is what I did on December.  They don't check to find out which group you're in.

We want to stay on as possible with a later flight so the timing of group 44 works, we just hate putting the luggage out 

47 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

Our luggage tag number is 44 which has an assigned time of leaving of like 8:45. If we keep our luggage in the room, even though self assist is at like 6:45, is it allowed to still leave at designated tag 44 time with our own luggage? We've done it before, but not sure it's technically allowed.. 

30 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The most important thing to the crew with debarking is making sure all the passengers are off the ship in a timely manner.  There is lots for them to do before embarkation begins in a matter of hours.

Yes. Staying in your room until your number is called is fine. They normally run ahead of schedule.

So,,, the new policy is that you remain in your stateroom until your number is called. This is to minimize crowding in public areas and increase social distancing. This is in contrast to the "old way" where they want you out of the room ASAP. 

image.png.1cd6d1ac594e5caba0a3ffd3676443fd.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colesc15 said:

How is it determined what numbered luggage tags you get for debarkation?  We cruised on RC for the first time in years last month (short cruise) and had gotten “#1 self-assist” tags. But, we wanted to put our bags out the night before because we both had medium-sized cases, and I have some difficulty with my back and leg. Anyway, not really knowing what the tag meant, we put them on the bags because we wanted some type of identifier on them and set them out. Then, the next morning, we walked off fairly early with the people who had their bags. But, we were detained after exiting the escalator and told we couldn’t go past where the luggage was until everyone who had their luggage with them passed first. I could see our two bags right up front. 

So, obviously we did something wrong and I should have probably asked someone about the tags we got. We’re going on the same ship next month. We drive to the port so it doesn’t matter how early we disembark. Does that make a difference in what number we should get for our tags?  BTW, I’ve never done self-assist, nor do I really want to. 

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Except that your steward knows what number tags you got and probably needs or expects you to be out when that number is called.

The cabin stewards have plenty of other work to worry about other than when a particular customer is leaving. The diff between tag 44 and last call is negligible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Except you may not get the form in your cabin and don't know to tell Guest Services unless you happen to see it in the app.

On our most recent cruises, we have gotten a notice on our phones to schedule our departure.  It was a very simple process to do it on the app.

Sherri🙂

On 1/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, patcacmt said:

How is it determined what numbered luggage tags you get for debarkation?  We cruised on RC for the first time in years last month (short cruise) and had gotten “#1 self-assist” tags. But, we wanted to put our bags out the night before because we both had medium-sized cases, and I have some difficulty with my back and leg. Anyway, not really knowing what the tag meant, we put them on the bags because we wanted some type of identifier on them and set them out. Then, the next morning, we walked off fairly early with the people who had their bags. But, we were detained after exiting the escalator and told we couldn’t go past where the luggage was until everyone who had their luggage with them passed first. I could see our two bags right up front. 

So, obviously we did something wrong and I should have probably asked someone about the tags we got. We’re going on the same ship next month. We drive to the port so it doesn’t matter how early we disembark. Does that make a difference in what number we should get for our tags?  BTW, I’ve never done self-assist, nor do I really want to. 

My friend, you can't request 'self assist' and then put your bags out expecting them to be ready for pick-up at 7 AM.  I get that your luggage was taken to the luggage hall, and while you could see it, you were not allowed to pick it up immediately.

I am not sure what port you were disembarking from, but if this had happened to you in Seattle, your delay in claiming your luggage would have been due to Longshore.  In Seattle Longshore place/line up all bags by luggage tag number or color depending on the cruise line, and once they are satisfied that all the luggage in that category is out, they release the area to passengers and porters.  In Seattle, only Longshore personnel can touch the luggage.  The shore side staff that greet you and offer directions cannot touch luggage. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Just got off Navigator. All departure times were called before 7:45.  Walked off and no one looked or cared about luggage tags. Luggage area was almost empty at 8:30.  Line for CBP was about a 2 minute wait. Room steward has a huge stash of tags on his cart, just ask for a early one when you see him during the week. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

FYI, "debarking" is the removal of a dog's vocal cords to make them unable to bark.

Getting off a ship is DISEMBARKATION.

Hello,

I though 'debarking' was what some small furry rodent did to a tree.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 2