Hawaii cruisers- Required testing at terminal

MishelleMcc

1 hour ago, MishelleMcc said:

As per Princess, Hawaii now requires covid testing at SF terminal BEFORE boarding!  

Hawaii has strict rules for arriving on the islands.  But:

Taken from above article:

"Arriving passengers are subject to the state’s Safe Travels program, just like those arriving by plane. Once they present their negative test or proof of vaccination, they are free to travel inter-island, Cunningham said."  This applies to all air and ship arrivals.

"Grand Princess also required passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test taken within two days of embarkation in Los Angeles."  This is probably part of the Port Agreement.  

Hawaii is NOT requiring a COVID test for anyone at point of departure into the islands; unless they are unvaccinated.  This may be a San Francisco requirement.  

Princess does (still) require a negative COVID test within 2 days embarkation.  This has been in place since Post Pandemic.

I have not seen (written anywhere) that a pier test is required from San Pedro to Hawaii.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hawaii has strict rules for arriving on the islands.  But:

Taken from above article:

"Arriving passengers are subject to the state’s Safe Travels program, just like those arriving by plane. Once they present their negative test or proof of vaccination, they are free to travel inter-island, Cunningham said."  This applies to all air and ship arrivals.

"Grand Princess also required passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test taken within two days of embarkation in Los Angeles."  This is probably part of the Port Agreement.  

Hawaii is NOT requiring a COVID test for anyone at point of departure into the islands; unless they are unvaccinated.  This may be a San Francisco requirement.  

The rumor in this long line is that it's Hawaii's fault. It makes no sense for Hawaii to want us tested at the SF Port

2 minutes ago, NCreadyforfun said:

The rumor in this long line is that it's Hawaii's fault. It makes no sense for Hawaii to want us tested at the SF Port

Yes, I think this is a "rumor" but unable to find any news to verify or deny.  It doesn't mean it is not out there.  It only means I can't find it.

I can not answer for San Francisco.  But Hawaii is not the one requiring testing at the pier on embarkation day from San Pedro.

• Like 2

Would OP add a link with the story that is requiring day of sailing COVID test on Princess?  This "story" is showing up on other threads.  

As of today, I have not found a single source that says ships leaving SF for Hawaii are requiring COVID test day of departure at the pier.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Okay, did my own searching.  Ruby roll call for 1/16 says that everyone at San Francisco Pier had to be tested before boarding.

Still no confirmation from any news source in Hawaii that says it is a Hawaii requirement.  I wonder if this will migrate to San Pedro.

20 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Koningsdam tested all passengers pier side today for their first Hawaii cruise.  Several passengers tested positive and posted on the CC roll call.

San Diego HAL passengers also today tested…Hawaii bound. 

The agreements with Carnival Cruise Lines and Norwegian Cruise Lines would bring the first passenger cruise back to Hawaii for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beginning Jan. 15, cruise ships can return to Hawaii if they have on-board COVID testing and medical staff to handle an outbreak. Both Carnival and Norwegian have also agreed to have full vaccination as well as pre-board testing before setting sail.

https://kesq.com/cnn-regional/2022/01/06/cruise-ships-returning-to-hawaii-beginning-jan-15/

Edited by PacnGoNow
Added
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

That's all great, but its nice to know what to expect so one can plan contingencies.  Conjecture is fun, I guess, but I'm sure we'll get accurate info soon enough.

The roll calls lay it out very clearly

I don’t know if anyone of us will know the real “facts” of what the state and counties of Hawaii has negotiated with the different cruise lines to allow them to come over to their ports. 

Hawaii has the power to take any additional safeguards over and above the other 49 states have in place to keep their citizens safe from Covid. And Hawaii counties can even have additional rules over the state mandates (example Maui county states fully vaccinated includes booster shots now).

• Like 1

Released today (still on the table):

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/hawaii-may-soon-require-travelers-to-have-a-covid-booster/article_9bee4d0e-774b-11ec-864a-57a9e05176bf.html

"We know that the community needs time to react to that, so we would have to provide at least two weeks for those who may not be up to date to go to have the opportunity to go and get vaccinated (boosted) if they need to," Ige told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, the state's largest newspaper.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

My friends boarding in SF today for Hawaii on the Ruby. She said long lines because they were testing in terminal. So it is fact.

Know someone else on same cruise, who was notified that she would be tested and was in line waiting for 2 hours to be tested today.  

3 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I don’t know if anyone of us will know the real “facts” of what the state and counties of Hawaii has negotiated with the different cruise lines to allow them to come over to their ports. 

Hawaii has the power to take any additional safeguards over and above the other 49 states have in place to keep their citizens safe from Covid. And Hawaii counties can even have additional rules over the state mandates (example Maui county states fully vaccinated includes booster shots now).

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2022/01/04/first-port-agreements-for-restart-of-cruise-travel-in-hawaii-signed/

• Thanks 1

Just checking in.  Verified with terminal crew that it was Hawaii requirement and Princess was only notified night before…. The tech who did my nasal swab said they flew her in night before to work the port checking.  They hopefully will make the process quicker.  Took us about 1.5 to 2 hrs to get through.  One elderly couple in our testing group of about 20-25 people, tested positive and were not allowed to board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

Just checking in.  Verified with terminal crew that it was Hawaii requirement and Princess was only notified night before…. The tech who did my nasal swab said they flew her in night before to work the port checking.  They hopefully will make the process quicker.  Took us about 1.5 to 2 hrs to get through.  One elderly couple in our testing group of about 20-25 people, tested positive and were not allowed to board.

but had they previously tested negative in the Princess required 2 day window ?

• Like 1