Why is NCL so difficult regarding moving a cruise because of Covid concerns?

MacII

Our experience in dealing with NCL is also awful.  Canadians are under travel advisory and quarantine on return.  So our friends and ourselves canceled two sailings in January and NCL will not give us any credit of any amount.

we won’t be sailing with NCL ever again.

if you can use your fcc then use it and move your future business to another company.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, julig22 said:

I just wish they would work on more of a case-by-case basis.  Not everyone is trying to scam the system, as in people booking cruises that they think will be cancelled just to get discounts/fcc.

If your cruise is cancelled, you get a 10% coupon for a future cruise if you don't have one already - not one for each cancelled cruise.  And that future cruise is likely to cost way more than an additional 10%.  Seems like they could at least give you a discount if you re-book the same cruise. A lift and drop would be even better.

My January 2021 cruise was cancelled, so I re-booked the same cruise for January 2022, using the 10% coupon.  Now that's been cancelled but I can't use the 10% for the same cruise in January 2023 because it expires.  My April 2022 cruise was also cancelled but I won't get anything for that because I already have a 10% discount in my account.

It is not the same cruise if it is sailing a different date.  It may be the same itinerary but it is not the same cruise.

I appreciate all the replies and input. 

I don't have much of an update. Still no response from NCL and I'm trying to get specifics from my PCC on exactly what I can get back and what I will give up. After reading all these commends, I'm resolved that I'll take whatever losses there are and just cash out (if that's actually an option.)

I do feel that NCL does owe me, and anyone who's in a similar situation. When my two previous cruises were stripped from us, the pain was eased by getting a small bit of bonus money to splurge on our next cruise. In practice, the prices of the cruises kept going up so even with the extra money, we were only really getting the same thing. So now, if I take a refund, my money won't buy a "new" cruise. It will buy only 70% of a new cruise. And I'll likely lose all the scammy Cruise Next stuff we were allowed to use.

This whole thing just reinforces my belief that NCL is out for itself even though it's actually shooting itself in the foot AND squandering an opportunity to act in good faith or in the best interests of it's customers. It skirts the line between ethical and unethical. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, MacII said:

It would seem to me that forcing customers to cash out is both bad for NCL and bad for the customer. Why won't they just let people move their cruises out a year? I honestly think they should give a 2-year leash given the current state of things. 

Across the cruise industry 10's of thousands of passengers have wonderful cruises every week. We went on 3 cruises last year and have 4 booked over the next few months. We've completed a dozen land-based vacations during the pandemic. We're not reckless. We mitigate risk as much as possible. We take vaccinated cruises, wear our N95 masks, try to avoid crowds (not always possible), and have a great time.

Throughout history, everyone has a sad story and expect the cruise lines to "grant expectations" for every circumstance. That is not the way to run a business. Set your policies. Enforce your policies. No exceptions. If people want to carry insurance, it is up to them. Personal emergencies, COVID, hurricanes, itinerary changes, ship mechanical problems, changes to departure dates, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MacII said:

I don't have much of an update. Still no response from NCL and I'm trying to get specifics from my PCC on exactly what I can get back and what I will give up. After reading all these commends, I'm resolved that I'll take whatever losses there are and just cash out (if that's actually an option.)

I do feel that NCL does owe me, and anyone who's in a similar situation. When my two previous cruises were stripped from us, the pain was eased by getting a small bit of bonus money to splurge on our next cruise. In practice, the prices of the cruises kept going up so even with the extra money, we were only really getting the same thing. So now, if I take a refund, my money won't buy a "new" cruise. It will buy only 70% of a new cruise. And I'll likely lose all the scammy Cruise Next stuff we were allowed to use.

This whole thing just reinforces my belief that NCL is out for itself even though it's actually shooting itself in the foot AND squandering an opportunity to act in good faith or in the best interests of it's customers. It skirts the line between ethical and unethical. 

4 hours ago, MacII said:

Goodness gracious, feel sorry for yourself much!?!

By reading other boards and here at CC 

NCL is being very very arrogant. No sense of a good business.NO customer service and feelings about our loyalty and hard earned money.

They always preach you by the end of your cruise to give them an excellent ratings but during this pandemic we have seen their true colours. Are all out for our hard earned money.

we canceled our two sailings in January and our friends canceled theirs also. GOT zero settlement.

we would have spent many many more dollars with them in future sailings 

but now we are going to sail with other lines.

BYE BYE NCL.

ENJOY MY LAST PENNY NOW AS NO MORE IS COMING YOUR WAY 

NCL has proven to be out to mislead people by advertising during the pandemic to book with confidence. Canada issues travel advisory for out of the country. Quarantine on return. No guarantee of return flights. No insurance company will cover.
NCL doesn’t recognize it as a valid reason to cancel cruises.

Refusing to pay any settlement. Basically telling us to go away and don’t come back. 
BAD BAD BAD company.

NEVER NEVER NEVER SAIL NCL.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Across the cruise industry 10's of thousands of passengers have wonderful cruises every week. We went on 3 cruises last year and have 4 booked over the next few months. We've completed a dozen land-based vacations during the pandemic. We're not reckless. We mitigate risk as much as possible. We take vaccinated cruises, wear our N95 masks, try to avoid crowds (not always possible), and have a great time.

Throughout history, everyone has a sad story and expect the cruise lines to "grant expectations" for every circumstance. That is not the way to run a business. Set your policies. Enforce your policies. No exceptions. If people want to carry insurance, it is up to them. Personal emergencies, COVID, hurricanes, itinerary changes, ship mechanical problems, changes to departure dates, etc. 

It has nothing to do with FCC. If NCL advertises that sail with confidence and the Canadian government says no travel out of the country. Insurance company doesn’t cover after advisory. Ships are coming back with cases.

we have to be pretty brain dead to go on the cruise ship. A lot of things we like in life but it doesn’t mean you have to do it when the conditions are not right.

NCL lures people into spending money with them with the promise to cancel if the government and health department says not to travel.

now we say honour your cancellation policy and make settlements  within the reason.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, julie3fan said:

Currently on the Bliss...the GM said crew is basically at 100%, and guest capacity is about 20-25%, so the room stewards *must* have fewer cabins to maintain.  

I wonder how long cruise lines can survive at that low level of capacity....

18 minutes ago, 14Canadian said:

It has nothing to do with FCC. If NCL advertises that sail with confidence and the Canadian government says no travel out of the country. Insurance company doesn’t cover after advisory. Ships are coming back with cases.

we have to be pretty brain dead to go on the cruise ship. A lot of things we like in life but it doesn’t mean you have to do it when the conditions are not right.

NCL lures people into spending money with them with the promise to cancel if the government and health department says not to travel.

now we say honour your cancellation policy and make settlements  within the reason.

So you canceled under peace of mind and NCL didn't give you any FCC?

Well for the next 3-6 months are unpredictable. Just like any other small businesses who are partially closed. 
we will be sailing again when it becomes safe to do so. No sense to jump into the fire.

And survival of some cruise lines will depend on how they  handle the customer’s concerns during this pandemic. 
They can keep the loyal customers or loose them for ever.

Yes we had two sailings. January 05, January 16 th

And above all NCL cancelled January 05 th sailing on January 3rd and we would have been stranded in Miami. A few people were. 
we canceled on December 22,2021 after Canadian government issued international travel advisory on December 15th,2021.

now NCL doesn’t think that we should have cancelled it and they believe that we should have not  obeyed the Canada government warnings.

Its bad on NCL’s part.

Now  we will be sailing with other lines and not ever ever again with NCL.

We have two cruises on hold with NCL which will be cancelling now.

2 minutes ago, 14Canadian said:

And above all NCL cancelled January 05 th sailing on January 3rd and we would have been stranded in Miami. A few people were. 
we canceled on December 22,2021 after Canadian government issued international travel advisory on December 15th,2021.

now NCL doesn’t think that we should have cancelled it and they believe that we should have not  obeyed the Canada government warnings.

Its bad on NCL’s part.

Yes we know, we heard you the first 50 times you said the same thing.  Enjoy your new line.

12 minutes ago, 14Canadian said:

Its bad on NCL’s part.

So you canceled but didn't get FCC? POM let's you get FCC if you cancel within the parameters of the program. If you canceled correctly you should have gotten your FCC.

Edited by smplybcause

4 minutes ago, 14Canadian said:

Just to be correct 

I HAVE NOT BEEN HERE 50 days or times

so …….

When you quote people you can respond in the same post right below the text that's quoted, don't respond in another post, that's annoying.