My review: Watch out RCL and NCL, Carnival is coming after your loyal guests!

tx121

On 1/30/2022 at 4:02 AM, tx121 said:

Carnival Mardi Gras right now has many for free dining options that are usually charged for dinner like Guys BBQ, Cucinca del Capitano, Chibang. I am not sure if these venues will be free after the inaugural season, so we shall see. It definitely helps spread out the crowds and gives guests a lot more options for dinner. 

Comparing Oasis class to Mardi Gras for usual free venues:

Iguana Cantina = El Loco Fresh

Piazza Panini = Park Cafe / Cafe Promenade

Cucina del Capitano Pizza= Sorrentos

Carnival other free options like Guys Burgers, Street Eats

Also Fresh Creations (great salad bar at Serenity), and the shawarma station on Lido Deck.   I wasn't sure what that was, but I'm really glad I tried it.  

Royals other free options: 

Dog House (Hot dogs)

On the Mardi Gras you also have SeaDogs as a separate area on Lido.   I thought it was good. 

In my opinion Mardi Gras food was better than Royals Oasis class in these venues.  Royals Main Dining room is better than Mardi Gras. 

My recent experiences on RCCL's Freedom class have been as part of a music charter, and I wonder if they "step down" the quality and the service in the MDR during our charter sailings.  The MDRs on RCCL's Liberty and Indy were NO match for any of CCL's.   On one occasion when I asked for two entrees -- something which doesn't earn as much as a batted eyelash on Carnival -- the waiter on RCCL looked at me like I had grown two heads.  I repeated myself and he frowned and walked away.  (I DID get the two entrees, but....sheesh.)  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Wow, thanks for that in-depth comparison!   And it aligns pretty well with my experiences and expectations.  I don't expect to be sailing on an Oasis class anytime soon UNLESS my music charter next year moves to one from a Freedom-class, but now I know what to expect.  The number of choices on RCL's Freedom class is substantially smaller than on Oasis, too.  

DO try to get on a Vista- or Excel-class ship at some point.  If nothing else. the Fresh Creations salad bar near Serenity will please you both for variety and, of course, vegetarian/vegan options.  

We have been on the Vista 2x and yea the options are even better! We were just really surprised at how well the Miracle compared to the Oasis in the casual/quick bite food options considering the sheer size/option differences and how we were easily able to compare them as we sailed them pretty close together, both during Covid (so a more level playing field). We actually think we now PREFER the Spirit class/smaller ships for food simply because as you go larger like on the Vista class the crowds get bigger but the food venues are the same size (I remember having to wait a lot more on the Vista for things). We LOVED the fresh creations option on the Vista class, just wish it had better hours. BUT, that goes back to the number of MADE-TO-ORDER options on Carnival. 

The food/size ratio on the Miracle is VERY high relative to the Oasis class (and thus I imagine gets even worse on smaller ships). Of course, the entertainment/size ratio on the Oasis destroys the Miracle. I mean, the Aqua80s show was probably one of the best shows I have ever seen, anywhere including Las Vegas...hard to beat. 

Would LOVE LOVE to try out the Excel class on Carnival - we MIGHT try to get on the Jubilee next year. Hopefully a lot of the "included" venues remain so after the inaugural season because if so I think the included food/size ration will put that class at the top. 

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 1

Since Seadogs was mentioned - I'll just say that I was surprised that they didn't offer chili as one of the toppings. Being that the fellow putting the hotdog together for me probably didn't grow up eating this version of health food... it probably explains his not sharing my surprise when I was told "no chili"!

I recall a few years back on the Allure -- could have been the Oasis! --  getting a hot dog there, only to find that condiments were in packets. Something about trying to resist the urge to tear open a packet of (not cooperating!) mustard with my teeth!!

Tom

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 10:07 AM, DrSea said:

Not to highjack the thread, but I respectfully have a very differing opinion than yours.

I haven't done VV. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. But imo CCL and VV are not direct competitors. Not even close. VV is very much up market of CCL. It's hard to justify ~200/day for an inside cabin on VV. This price includes port taxes and fees and is the cheapest I see.

I am doing a Carnival cruises were it will be 200 for the entire 3 day cruise, which included taxes port fees and tips for a balcony. Blew my mind. Never have I ever booked such a cheap cruise. 

Me personally, I would do viking ocean for 250/day for a balcony. The VV product doesn't make financial sense to me yet. I will admit that it's not an apples to apples comparison with Viking and VV other than their price. But I'd rather do Viking at those prices where I will get a balcony, free thermal spa, and free alcohol during meals. Viking is stuffy and I don't like the pretentiousness of it all. I think I would like the VV vibe better as I am in my early 30s. But I cannot bring myself to pay 200/day for an inside room on VV when an extra $50-60 per day will buy me so much more that matters to me on other cruise lines. 

I will definitely agree that they are not direct competitors, and having been on VV, I can honestly say that their marketing needs some fine tuning, because I don't know if I was expecting a floating tattoo parlor or what, but the ship was more upscale than anything.  As to the fares, those are hard to compare as well since VV includes things like gratuities, wifi, colas, etc. into the base price.  Also, there is no MDR, so all restaurants are "specialty" and included, the included ice cream is a gelato that is served in flavored waffle cones, and they have a candy area (included) where you go by and just get bags full of what you may want (gummi bears, twizzlers, etc.).  We loved it.

But... a sushi station in the Food Court (this is what they have instead of a buffet)?  Yes, please!  Also, one thing I really, really liked about VV was that they would have pre-made items (charcuterie or sandwich/chips, etc.) in plastic boxes at the entrance of the food court, the pizza place, and the dock area (back of ship) in coolers that you could just grab and take back to your room or wherever.

That said, it won't appeal to everyone.  It definitely has a different vibe and while the main shows are edgy and at least the Dual Reality show is downright amazing, there are some, uh, other shows that weren't exactly our cup of tea (but, in all fairness, its spelled out going in, so you can just avoid that...)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

I will definitely agree that they are not direct competitors, and having been on VV, I can honestly say that their marketing needs some fine tuning, because I don't know if I was expecting a floating tattoo parlor or what, but the ship was more upscale than anything.  As to the fares, those are hard to compare as well since VV includes things like gratuities, wifi, colas, etc. into the base price.  Also, there is no MDR, so all restaurants are "specialty" and included, the included ice cream is a gelato that is served in flavored waffle cones, and they have a candy area (included) where you go by and just get bags full of what you may want (gummi bears, twizzlers, etc.).  We loved it.

But... a sushi station in the Food Court (this is what they have instead of a buffet)?  Yes, please!  Also, one thing I really, really liked about VV was that they would have pre-made items (charcuterie or sandwich/chips, etc.) in plastic boxes at the entrance of the food court, the pizza place, and the dock area (back of ship) in coolers that you could just grab and take back to your room or wherever.

That said, it won't appeal to everyone.  It definitely has a different vibe and while the main shows are edgy and at least the Dual Reality show is downright amazing, there are some, uh, other shows that weren't exactly our cup of tea (but, in all fairness, its spelled out going in, so you can just avoid that...)

Sounds interesting - thanks.

On the Mardi Gras, they also had a Grab & Go place at the coffee shop. (just don't ask me what the items were, lol)

PXL_20210812_175053969-X2.jpg

Tom

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

On the Mardi Gras, they also had a Grab & Go place at the coffee shop. (just don't ask me what the items were, lol)

Tom

Really wish I'd had a chance to sample those, but whenever I passed by -- admittedly it was usually later at night -- the grab 'n 'go options were all gone.

19 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Since Seadogs was mentioned - I'll just say that I was surprised that they didn't offer chili as one of the toppings. Being that the fellow putting the hotdog together for me probably didn't grow up eating this version of health food... it probably explains his not sharing my surprise when I was told "no chili"!

Weird.  I'd swear that I got chili on one of my hot dogs at SeaDogs on the Mardi Gras.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Really wish I'd had a chance to sample those, but whenever I passed by -- admittedly it was usually later at night -- the grab 'n 'go options were all gone.

Weird.  I'd swear that I got chili on one of my hot dogs at SeaDogs on the Mardi Gras.  

The available times of various eating places could certainly be expanded. I'd like to see more late night buffet options (admittedly, I was not up too late - but just going by years past)! ... and there were times I would have loved a Guy's burger on into the evening too!

It's entirely possible that chili was available at Seadogs on your sailing. Some things seem to come and go without any explanation, not that they owe us one!  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

I feel like I have a good idea of what VV are. Words like funky, eclectic, alternative, instagramable, relaxed, trend setter, and quality (not necessarily luxury, overtly premium, or plush) come to mind. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just am not sure that market is very big, as this kind of customer are most likely to do something else other than cruise due to cruising just being seen as for older folks or (TBH) they just don't have the money. Secondly, the novelty can only get you so far with this crowd as the ship cannot change on a yearly basis. 

This is why I feel like carnival and other big cruise lines has a leg up on VV in capturing this market segment. CCL isn't banking on the novelty and spectacle of it all. 

21 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

That was one of my fav places, when we were there in July & Aug. The sandwiches (free) right side of coffee, were so delish. And they melt the cheese in the oven for you(not open while at a port till later 3pm I think). On the side shown above (left side of coffee) those are free salads, & smoked salmon(lox) & bagels sandwiches, etc.  I couldnt believe all the places to eat on Mardi Gras! Even 2 weeks back then was not enough time! 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:44 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The available times of various eating places could certainly be expanded. I'd like to see more late night buffet options (admittedly, I was not up too late - but just going by years past)! ... and there were times I would have loved a Guy's burger on into the evening too!

It's a miracle Guy's is open until 6 pm since most lunchtime options close at 3 pm (and that's on most lines and ships), but even just an hour later until 7 pm would be awesome.  

As for late-night, my feelings about the utter lack of late-night (after 10 pm) dining options on Mardi Gras are by now well known.  It's a travesty and an embarrassment that, on Carnival's newest ship, with an astonishing array of lunch and dinner dining options, your only "free"/included dining options after 10 pm are pizza, and Swirls ice-cream.    Not even the deli (Piazza Panini) is open past 10 pm, and on every other ship in the fleet it is open until 11 pm.  And no "late-night snacks" option on the Lido, either.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

It's a travesty and an embarrassment that, on Carnival's newest ship, with an astonishing array of lunch and dinner dining options, your only "free"/included dining options after 10 pm are pizza, and Swirls ice-cream.    Not even the deli (Piazza Panini) is open past 10 pm, and on every other ship in the fleet it is open until 11 pm.  And no "late-night snacks" option on the Lido, either.  

The embarrassment is across the whole fleet, how Carnival has steadily cut late night options where the only thing now available after 10 pm is the always understaffed pizza station.  They love to advertise free 24 hour pizza but then make the experience a hassle so you'll give up and go back to your room and order paid room service. No coincidence that the free room service menu ends at 10 pm either.

Royal Caribbean runs circles around Carnival's late night food, with pizza readily available (with more options than Carnival) until 3 am and/or Cafe Promenade open 24 hours.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 7:04 AM, DrSea said:

I feel like I have a good idea of what VV are. Words like funky, eclectic, alternative, instagramable, relaxed, trend setter, and quality (not necessarily luxury, overtly premium, or plush) come to mind. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just am not sure that market is very big, as this kind of customer are most likely to do something else other than cruise due to cruising just being seen as for older folks or (TBH) they just don't have the money. Secondly, the novelty can only get you so far with this crowd as the ship cannot change on a yearly basis. 

This is why I feel like carnival and other big cruise lines has a leg up on VV in capturing this market segment. CCL isn't banking on the novelty and spectacle of it all. 

That's the thing.  I sort of had the exact same impression going in, and while some of that is definitely true, I was surprised on how upscale, especially the food offerings, were.  I'll also agree that it's not for everybody, but it's so refreshing to get on a cruise ship and not be shelling out extra $$$ all over the place...  The adjectives I would use may be quirky to a degree, but definitely innovative and upscale...

VV does have, what I think is a game changing product, but a terrible marketing campaign to go with it...  You are right, people aren't going to go if they get the vibe that you describe.

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The embarrassment is across the whole fleet, how Carnival has steadily cut late night options where the only thing now available after 10 pm is the always understaffed pizza station.  They love to advertise free 24 hour pizza but then make the experience a hassle so you'll give up and go back to your room and order paid room service. No coincidence that the free room service menu ends at 10 pm either.

Royal Caribbean runs circles around Carnival's late night food, with pizza readily available (with more options than Carnival) until 3 am and/or Cafe Promenade open 24 hours.

We were on Oasis in January.  The late night food options were laughable at best (and we weren't very impressed by the other regular food offerings either, with Loco Fresh being a welcome exception).  WHY does the ice cream close at 5:30???  WHY is the Solarium Bistro only open 3 hours a day?  Cafe Promenade is a joke, IMHO the offerings there were terrible, especially in comparison to something like International Cafe on Princess (which is what I think they were aiming for).  The only dining option open on Oasis after 9pm when the WJ and MDR's closed that wasn't "specialty" dining was Sorrento's (open until 1am) and the aforementioned Cafe Promenade.  I really didn't care for Sorrento's either.  The Playmakers Sports Bar was open later, if you wanted to pay extra for nachos, chicken tenders or fries and Sugar Beach was open late too, just so you could pay $4-$6 for that nightly ice cream...

I suppose you could get room service, but unless you are on something like Princess or Disney, that usually carries a charge now too...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bgcruising said:

They are not even coming after their own loyal guests, why go after anyone else's  loyal guests?

Exactly, other than the bells and whistles of Mardi Gras, Carnival doesn't have much to compete on these days other than price.  This is the reason they've been in a downward spiral of quality and onboard experience for several years, which has turned away formerly loyal guests.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bgcruising said:

They are not even coming after their own loyal guests, why go after anyone else's  loyal guests?

12 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Exactly, other than the bells and whistles of Mardi Gras, Carnival doesn't have much to compete on these days other than price.  This is the reason they've been in a downward spiral of quality and onboard experience for several years, which has turned away formerly loyal guests.

I think that is the point of this thread that the Mardi Gras (and it's sister ships) will attract loyal customers from other cruise lines because it is so different than other Carnival ships. We have to agree that the food and entertainment is way better on the Mardi Gras and it offers a lot more variety. 

When we talked to die hard loyal Carnival fans on the Mardi Gras...some said that it "didn't feel" like a regular Carnival ship but more like Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. To us we were getting more NCL vibes. 

I think the Mardi Gras is a step in the right direction for Carnival to compete for other cruise line's passengers. But that's just my opinion. 

Edited by Wannacruise81
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:56 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

The embarrassment is across the whole fleet, how Carnival has steadily cut late night options where the only thing now available after 10 pm is the always understaffed pizza station.

This is not true on most ships, or at least, it was not true pre-COVID.  

On most/all ships except Mardi Gras, "Late Night Snacks" are offered on the Lido Buffet beginning at 11 pm (when the Deli closes) until 1 or 2 am.  These were some decent options, including pasta dishes and sadwiches as well as "snacks." 

It's been a while, but on some ships the menu at the pizza place would expand at 11 pm ("Pizza Pirate Plus" when we last saw it) to include surprisingly meaty lasagna and a rotating selection of three sandwiches (chicken parm, meatball, etc.)   Those were good and the lasagna was REALLY good. 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:56 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Maybe on some ships.  Our experience with Sorrento's was...poor.  In fact, amongst our numerous online groups for our music charter that sails on Royal, Sorrento's has become a running joke, often being compared with frozen pizza...and coming up below it. 

We also noticed the selection of mini-sandwiches at the Promenade Café got really limited during late-night...and with concerts ending at 5 am in 3 venues, this was a late-night crowd indeed.   

23 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

We were on Oasis in January.  The late night food options were laughable at best [...]

I suppose you could get room service, but unless you are on something like Princess or Disney, that usually carries a charge now too...

It now carries a flat-fee service charge on Royal, with some exceptions.  

Although suite guests were supposedly waived the service charge ($7 I think), WE were charged the fee.  Since it was a charter, suite guests did not get any perks or concierge services.  Two, count 'em, TWO cheers for Royal.  😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChC said:

I have to say OP's title was very misleading.

I thought Carnival is now offering a status match programme, and to offer tier benefits that including a Diamond lounge and free drinks. 

Disappointing. 

The diamond lounge with its speciality coffee for free is one of my favorite rcl things. 80 pts. And 4 anytime anywhere vouchers.

To the guy who said he thought rcl looked at him oddly when he ordered a 2nd entree. Ours were slamming us with extras. I got 3 lobsters last week I didnt order or want. They sat down cheese plate and fruit plates not ordered. I thought too much service and was tired of being asked if I want anything. Yes free ice cream cones limited hours. And not self serve. Covid got them and they make the cones for you and had a cart in the Windjammer of 2 kinds of ice cream constantly. I did get pizza one night just before 3 am but it was lukewarm. .. getting off today. Too much service if you ask me. Got tired of being asked if i want anything else. Their free steak at dinner was better than carnivals imo.

Neither will put the other out of business. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, bmc alabama said:

VV is a niche, and will never go beyond that in its current form. Everyone says they want the included foods and whatnot that VV offers, but they want it all at the Carnival price. Mardi Gras is toying with that idea.

I would love if Carnival did pull a few pieces from them. The Limelight Lounge for example, if a lifeless, shell of a nightclub. Doing nothing special for the younger crowd that wants it. Meanwhile, people can't wait to Instagram the VV club, showing off how cool it is. It wouldn't take an act of god for Carnival to add that "cool" factor.

The in your face drag shows and tattoo parlors aren't going to a sway a large enough market. Especially one that will stay loyal to cruising.

• Like 1