Carnival shares - HL analysis

Harry Peterson

5 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Having read several so called experts their consensus seems in the main to be HOLD. I have been mulling over whether to buy or not. I did have 100 Carnival Shares and sold them making a modest profit. Currently Carnival seem to be saying that a lot of their passengers have cancelled or put off/transferred their cruises to 2023. In my humble opinion had they not faffed about and made it plain to their customers that should they be quarantined ashore that they would not be out of pocket a majority of their bookings would have remained intact.

To be fair, the impact of being quarantined ashore is more concerning for European cruising than in the Pacific or Caribbean.  There,  you can select in which hotel you want to quarantine, with Princess being very proactive in help and assistance.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, paulatsea said:

I have the max amount of premium bonds - over the last 2 years I have had 1.5% return. 
still waiting for the big one.

I did wonder who was collecting my share 🤣 So much for levelling up 

Edited by howmuch!
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I think we get about 1.5%.  The most I have won is £500 in one go.

Max I’ve had so far is £100 - but I get about £50  most months - last one I got £25 - always a nice surprise anyway.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, CCFC said:

Think my last dividend was early 2020

And probably a while of the next dividend. The company needs to return to profit first and the latest earnings call suggested that would be Q3 for Carnival. The company will also be keen to reduce their dependency on debt instruments such as loan notes as interest is expensive. Two options here - either convert to shares and dilute existing price, or pay off debt instead of paying dividends.

At the moment, Carnival shares are a long term hold. But likely to be worthwhile long term hold unless acquired in the couple of years pre-pandemic.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about share prices in general I made a big mistake around 1997. I worked for I.C.I. and paid into their share options scheme you could either save for 3,5 or 7 years. The share price was at a fixed price that you could buy them at the outset of the scheme. Which at that time was £6 per share. By 1997 they had reached £12 and I was looking at a decent profit. But then they decided to split the pharmaceutical Division from I.C.I. and called it Zeneca (Which later became AstraZeneca) So the £12 shares became £6 each I.C.I. £6, Zeneca £6. So I went with the option of taking the cash plus interest instead of the shares. I.C.I. got sold off and Astra Zeneca shares have hit about £93 in the last 5 years. No guarantee I would have kept them that long though, although a few former work colleagues still have AstraZeneca shares.