What percentage before we turn red status?

phoenix_dream

32 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Everyone knows the real experts are on CC.

Well yah!! 2 days of all green and counting. Maybe if we get at least 7 days of all green in a row, the masks indoors while onboard will become optional again. One can hope anyway.

Have we flattened the curve in the US? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Well yah!! 2 days of all green and counting. Maybe if we get at least 7 days of all green in a row, the masks indoors while onboard will become optional again. One can hope anyway.

So if it goes green, will it be happy days are here again?  Will you be comfortable with packed dining rooms, bars and theatres?  Are you comfortable sitting next to strangers without a mask?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So if it goes green, will it be happy days are here again?  Will you be comfortable with packed dining rooms, bars and theatres?  Are you comfortable sitting next to strangers without a mask?

I am.  Have you watched any football games lately?  Those folks certainly don't seem worried..I attended games last fall with zero masking..a full Tyvek Body Suit may be in order for those who are concerned when they open things up totally...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That decision is also being heavily influenced by the numbers in port locations, so the timing to remove the mask rule will most likely lag behind a bit. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1

Just now, Jeremiah1212 said:

That decision is also being heavily influenced by the numbers in port locations, so the timing to remove the mask rule will most lag behind a bit. 

I believe you to be correct, a lot of the Caribbean ports are lagging behind re vaccinations...this has to play into it.  

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Actually, we'll continue to do what we've done on all of the 9 cruise legs we've been on so far, to include the B2B we're getting ready to go on later this week. Treat it as an avoidance challenge game. We will continue to enjoy our balcony cabin, not sit near anyone if at all possible while eating, find the most remote place to sit in the theater or game show. When it comes to elevators, we'll only use them if we need to go up 5+ flights of stairs, and of course we will put our masks on. But, we will also get off if someone decides to get on the elevator between floors, especially if they are not wearing a mask. We simply enjoy cruising too much to let the pandemic get in the way of us having a great time! 😎

Now, what's going to be a new adventure for us is going on a Princess 18 day Panama Canal cruise in April followed by a 21 day one in the Med in July. They are far more strict when it comes to C19 protocols than X ever thought of applying. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, we'll continue to do what we've done on all of the 9 cruise legs we've been on so far, to include the B2B we're getting ready to go on later this week. Treat it as an avoidance challenge game. We will continue to enjoy our balcony cabin, not sit near anyone if at all possible while eating, find the most remote place to sit in the theater or game show. When it comes to elevators, we'll only use them if we need to go up 5+ flights of stairs, and of course we will put our masks on. But, we will also get off if someone decides to get on the elevator between floors, especially if they are not wearing a mask. We simply enjoy cruising too much to let the pandemic get in the way of us having a great time! 😎

Now, what's going to be a new adventure for us is going on a Princess 18 day Panama Canal cruise in April followed by a 21 day one in the Med in July. They are far more strict when it comes to C19 protocols than X ever thought of applying. 

Doesn't sound like you are comfortable enough for the Celebrity to be sailing at 100% capacity.  If I sit down at the next table in the Ocean View Cafe, it doesn't sound like you will be happy with me.

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Doesn't sound like you are comfortable enough for the Celebrity to be sailing at 100% capacity.  If I sit down at the next table in the Ocean View Cafe, it doesn't sound like you will be happy with me.

Until they do away with the "close contacts" testing, I can see why anyone would do what Ken proposes, just sounds prudent.  His plan is exactly mine on the Apex in March, unless rules change.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

But, we wouldn't be sitting at a table inside in the Oceanview Cafe. Chances are, though, we would probably be eating lunch at the Spa Cafe, where we pretty much know the crowds are limited.

24 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Until they do away with the "close contacts" testing, I can see why anyone would do what Ken proposes, just sounds prudent.  His plan is exactly mine on the Apex in March, unless rules change.  

I'm not challenging your or Ken's approach toward cruising, but it sounds like neither of you would be happy with ships sailing at near capacity levels.  I'm concerned about the financial health of these companies if they cannot increase occupancy in the near future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm not challenging your or Ken's approach toward cruising, but it sounds like neither of you would be happy with ships sailing at near capacity levels.  I'm concerned about the financial health of these companies if they cannot increase occupancy in the near future.

As long as they do away with testing asymptotic folks, I’m all in. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

For us we’re good with the cruise ships sailing at 100%. We’ve played our avoidance challenge game long before the pandemic as I really got tired of getting bronchitis after a cruise for the first 4-5 years after we started cruising. But I will say it has been nice sailing on cruises under 50% capacity, although the Apex and one of the Connie cruises were around 60%.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I find this actually pretty amusing and sad really.  All the talk of flattening the curve dating back to March 2020.  That's all we needed to do.  We were supposed to just make sure we could live with this new virus without overwhelming our health care system.  We would cruise again in maybe a few months. 

Now 2 years later,  with multiple vaccines, N95 masks, test centers, at-home tests, you name it, and new anti-viral drugs, we still are counting positive tests as the benchmark.  With so many tests, people that go to the hospital with a broken arm are tested for COVID, and even if asymptomatic they are counted as a COVID-hospitalized patient.  The poor cruise passengers are being isolated and quarantined with mild cold symptoms.  People with influenza on the same ships can walk the halls and go anywhere they want.  Sorry for the Soap Box.  I feel better now.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I find this actually pretty amusing and sad really.  All the talk of flattening the curve dating back to March 2020.  That's all we needed to do.  We were supposed to just make sure we could live with this new virus without overwhelming our health care system.  We would cruise again in maybe a few months. 

Now 2 years later,  with multiple vaccines, N95 masks, test centers, at-home tests, you name it, and new anti-viral drugs, we still are counting positive tests as the benchmark.  With so many tests, people that go to the hospital with a broken arm are tested for COVID, and even if asymptomatic they are counted as a COVID-hospitalized patient.  The poor cruise passengers are being isolated and quarantined with mild cold symptoms.  People with influenza on the same ships can walk the halls and go anywhere they want.  Sorry for the Soap Box.  I feel better now.

Well said…sometimes soap boxes need to be used. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2022 at 11:14 PM, jelayne said:

I haven’t seen much posted that indicated that those quarantined had much more than mild symptoms.  
If  many cruisers were being disembarked at ports  in hazmat suits and taken to hospitals that would be very concerning.

We board next weekend we plan to do our best to avoid crowded place (Martini bar, Silent Disco and bus tours) and if one of us tests positive ( if we don’t feel well we will get tested) we have a plan for quarantine both on and if necessary off the ship. 
When people test positive within 12-72 hours of boarding it is unlikely they got infected on the ship, more likely in transit on a plane, shuttle, hotel, bar  etc.  Derp cleaning of the ship won’t solve that.  We have determined that it is likely we will get Covid at some point.  We are vaxed & boosted so hopefully  a mild case and 🤞it’s not on a cruise, but we are going on with life and hopefully the cruises will continue to sail.

We did the same...or so we thought.  We boarded the Edge on Jan 16th and managed to stay clear of just about everyone.  So on day 6 in Roatan, my husband and two friends took a snorkeling excursion while I stayed on the boat.  As I watched from our balcony, I saw them load the passengers on the bus for the 10 minute bus ride.  Unfortunately, someone made the unfortunate decision to make all the passengers sit on the bus for approximately 20-25 minutes waiting for the stragglers.  We did file a complaint with the excursion's manager and she seemed to shrug it off.  Fast forward to 1 day post cruise and 3 days post excursion and both my husband and one of our friends tested positive.  It took another 5 days for me to test positive.  While I cannot conclusively say that is where they were exposed, it seems the most likely scenario.  Roatan only allowed Celebrity excursions.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CruiserFromSC said:

We did the same...or so we thought.  We boarded the Edge on Jan 16th and managed to stay clear of just about everyone.  So on day 6 in Roatan, my husband and two friends took a snorkeling excursion while I stayed on the boat.  As I watched from our balcony, I saw them load the passengers on the bus for the 10 minute bus ride.  Unfortunately, someone made the unfortunate decision to make all the passengers sit on the bus for approximately 20-25 minutes waiting for the stragglers.  We did file a complaint with the excursion's manager and she seemed to shrug it off.  Fast forward to 1 day post cruise and 3 days post excursion and both my husband and one of our friends tested positive.  It took another 5 days for me to test positive.  While I cannot conclusively say that is where they were exposed, it seems the most likely scenario.  Roatan only allowed Celebrity excursions.

That really stinks!

I hope all of you only get mild cases!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I

People with influenza on the same ships can walk the halls and go anywhere they want.  Sorry for the Soap Box.  I feel better now.

Rick - FWIW - my husband got the "flu" (he tested positive for the flu but we both still wonder if it wasn't Covid) on a cruise in early March 2020 and was quarantined in our cabin. Granted this was Princess but he was definitely NOT allowed to walk the halls.

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Until they do away with the "close contacts" testing, I can see why anyone would do what Ken proposes, just sounds prudent.  

Yup.  Strange times when you have to worry more about the consequences of the protocols on a cruise than you do the consequences of the bug itself.

Once again, it's time to reconsider the objective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Just remember, whatever happens keep moving towards the Light. These darn moguls will eventually disappear as one thing is for sure, we have definitely left the Tunnel! 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser

This thread has really gone sideways from the original question.  A few days ago our ship was at 3%. Yesterday we were told more cases but no specifics. Still wondering if anyone has been on a cruise since resumption with a higher percentage than that? And if so how much higher? Our cruise ends Friday  (writing this on Tuesday) so I'm thinking it's safe to say the cruise will likely continue in its entirety. People continue to dance maskless and Luminae is pretty full with no ability to social distance.  That doesn't help the figures I'm sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This thread has really gone sideways from the original question.  A few days ago our ship was at 3%. Yesterday we were told more cases but no specifics. Still wondering if anyone has been on a cruise since resumption with a higher percentage than that? And if so how much higher? Our cruise ends Friday  (writing this on Tuesday) so I'm thinking it's safe to say the cruise will likely continue in its entirety. People continue to dance maskless and Luminae is pretty full with no ability to social distance.  That doesn't help the figures I'm sure.

Have people been pretty good in general with masks onboard? We plan on not attending big gatherings onboard. Wish I would say its because of Covid, but we have always not gone to things like the silent disco, apparently we aren't that social:)