Drink Package Cost

34 minutes ago, mr. godfredo said:

It's been a long time since we have sailed RCCL, can anyone tell me what the going rate is these days for the drink package? Our cruise is over a year out, so no prices are listed. Just looking at ballpark prices. 

We paid 62 for our upcoming Navigator cruise.  
with gratuity added it was $73.16 or 512.82 for the week. That is the lowest price it has been.

With water, soda, juice and specialty coffee we figure to get more than our monies worth.

18 minutes ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

The lowest I have seen for my March Mariner trip is 68.99 + 18% - which is over $800 for two on a 5 night cruise that cost less than that. 

That’s how you can tell you got a deal on a cruise- the cruise price is less than the drink package. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

The lowest I have seen for my March Mariner trip is 68.99 + 18% - which is over $800 for two on a 5 night cruise that cost less than that. 

That's when you need to do some close analysis of what you would realistically be drinking each day - and every day - to justify the expense.  I know with the drink coupons available to C&A Diamond and above tier members, they are valued (by RCCL) at $13 per drink.  That is a pretty good average for cocktails on board.  Beer and house wines less at around $9 or so.

So using that at the roughly $81 (with grats) you reference, that's about 6 cocktails each day to break even, or about 9 beers or house wines.

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That's when you need to do some close analysis of what you would realistically be drinking each day - and every day - to justify the expense.  I know with the drink coupons available to C&A Diamond and above tier members, they are valued (by RCCL) at $13 per drink.  That is a pretty good average for cocktails on board.  Beer and house wines less at around $9 or so.

So using that at the roughly $81 (with grats) you reference, that's about 6 cocktails each day to break even, or about 9 beers or house wines.

When you add in sodas,  bottled water and juice you can easily break even on 3 or 4 drinks per day and have the luxury of trying different things.  

3 hours ago, mr. godfredo said:

It's been a long time since we have sailed RCCL, can anyone tell me what the going rate is these days for the drink package? Our cruise is over a year out, so no prices are listed. Just looking at ballpark prices. 

The going rate fluctuates widely between ships and sailing dates.   We have paid less than $50 pp per day but that was pre-covid.    We have drink packages booked for our March 2022 sailing on the Jewel  that we booked in October of 2021 for $53 pp per day which we thought was high.  But as of today, the price is $60 pp per day and the price hasn't gone below $53 since we purchased the packages last Oct.   

Purchase your package at whatever rate you are comfortable with and check Royal's website frequently to check the pricing (especially holiday week-ends, Black Friday, etc).   If you see a lower rate, cancel your purchased package and repurchase at the lower rate.   We have been checking 2-3x a week for quite some time and the more recent prices have been $60 and up pp per day.  

Edited by kokopelli-az

3 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

When you add in sodas,  bottled water and juice you can easily break even on 3 or 4 drinks per day and have the luxury of trying different things.  

That is correct.  They are of course at lesser value but if you add them in as well then the alcohol break even is less.  

I am admittedly somewhat spoiled in that we are D+ and each have 5 coupons per day to use, along with other specialty coffees and discount options, and the D Lounge has coffees and other beverages at n/c.  So even when we add in purchased beverages above that we never come remotely close to justifying any of the beverage packages and, therefore, never purchase them.

33 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is correct.  They are of course at lesser value but if you add them in as well then the alcohol break even is less.  

I am admittedly somewhat spoiled in that we are D+ and each have 5 coupons per day to use, along with other specialty coffees and discount options, and the D Lounge has coffees and other beverages at n/c.  So even when we add in purchased beverages above that we never come remotely close to justifying any of the beverage packages and, therefore, never purchase them.

And that makes perfect sense. 

49 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

You don’t need a beverage package to try new things.  This can be done a la carte too. 

• Like 2

We have 3 cruises booked that fall within the next 7 months.  Does the drink package usually trend higher the closer you are to the sail date?  Do shorter cruises generally have a higher per day rate?  Are there any other rules of thumb for pricing or is it really just a roll of the dice? 

4 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

We have 3 cruises booked that fall within the next 7 months.  Does the drink package usually trend higher the closer you are to the sail date?  Do shorter cruises generally have a higher per day rate?  Are there any other rules of thumb for pricing or is it really just a roll of the dice? 

Shorter cruises probably more in price per day. The rest is likely demand.  The more they have pre sold the less they need to lower the price.  So supply/demand probably drives much of it.  Also, if you go to a Royal beach vs all non Royal ports it would likely be more because you get a day of drinking on the beach on their tab.  So ports will impact price to some extent.  

• Thanks 1

I've paid various prices. I know the "regular " price that they base the discount off is $89.99 per day. I paid $44 a day for a Navigator December cruise, $60 a day for Navigator Jan weeklong, and $64 for Navigator 3 night February.  My 14 day transatlantic is $66 per day and my Alaksa Quantum in July is $56.  So, it's all over the place.  I would buy it and then wait for it to go lower/cancel/rebook at lower price.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baowen said:

I've paid various prices. I know the "regular " price that they base the discount off is $89.99 per day. I paid $44 a day for a Navigator December cruise, $60 a day for Navigator Jan weeklong, and $64 for Navigator 3 night February.  My 14 day transatlantic is $66 per day and my Alaksa Quantum in July is $56.  So, it's all over the place.  I would buy it and then wait for it to go lower/cancel/rebook at lower price.

That is really high for a TA.