Princess Cruises changes Captain's Circle benefits and eliminates free WiFi minutes

ronvoyage

Just was on the Majestic Princess and was surprised as an "elite" Captain's Circle member I was charged for WiFi. Free minutes are gone. Seems like I could have bought a 1 or 4 device WiFi package at a lower rate if I would have purchased it before boarding the ship. The new "benefit" is elite and platinum

members are now given a 50% discount, but the rate on the ship is 25% higher than if bought prior to boarding. Princess takes pride that their "Loyalty" program has excellent benefits. and I wonder if cruisers would continue their commitment if a higher number of days included a WiFi program for the length of the cruise. Free laundry is the gold standard once you were "elite" and is still given. How about a one devise WiFi program being included at 300 days and a four devise WiFi program at 450 days. Other cruise lines have more levels in their loyalty programs. Any thoughts??

I think the new medallion and app have asserted that wifi is king to all passengers if they wish to participate in all the features the app has made available.  They have also rejigged the priority boarding process in the UK as you need to have a covid-19 test at the quayside.  So embarkation order is dictated exclusively by that process. I am happy with the new arrangements.

Regards John

Internet free minutes eliminated since the restart. Now it is the discount. Also eliminated is the loyalty OBC.

Plus fares now provide unlimited internet, gratuities, and the premier beverage package. It is a good value. Doubtful Princess will add any benefits at this time while they are struggling to stay in business. Also doubtful Princess will return to free wifi minutes with wifi being offered and marketed as part of plus fares.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skynight said:

Internet free minutes eliminated since the restart. Now it is the discount. Also eliminated is the loyalty OBC.

Plus fares now provide unlimited internet, gratuities, and the premier beverage package. It is a good value. Doubtful Princess will add any benefits at this time while they are struggling to stay in business. Also doubtful Princess will return to free wifi minutes with wifi being offered and marketed as part of plus fares.

Kind of brilliant when you think about that - between the bait and switch of a discounted plan or having elite members purchase Princess Plus which effectively negates the internet discount and benefit of the elite bar (they got the money).  Next up, I'm betting princess plus will just go up in price.

• Like 1

I over being upset with the loss of my free internet minutes, but what I dont appreciate of Princess is this so called benefit of internet costing 50% less for platinum/elite members.  Is that really true when they charge you the full cost upfront, and then give you onboard credit of 50% of cost?  So essentially  you have paid the full cost because, sure you got a credit but you have to spend it onboard or maybe maybe not you get it refunded with a check at the end of your cruise.  A true 50% discount is you pay for the reduced amount upfront, none of this I give you a credit later.  I've read here that Princess is working with the medallion to charge the 50% amt upfront for internet but dont know if that has started up yet.  

14 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Kind of brilliant when you think about that - between the bait and switch of a discounted plan or having elite members purchase Princess Plus which effectively negates the internet discount and benefit of the elite bar (they got the money).  Next up, I'm betting princess plus will just go up in price.

There is no bait and switch going on. What Princess markets is what is provided. It is up to you to do the math and determine if the plus fare makes sense for you. No trickery or deception going on.

Fares will increase over time. They always have. But, expect Princess will remain competitive with other similar cruise lines.

I am glad the cruise lines are still sailing.  They have got rid of a lot of ships repatriated all the staff to their homelands.  They are trying to get back to international sailing with various countries making it impossible to land there.  It seems to me the lines are doing the best they can under very difficult circumstances but they have got to get the cash in somehow..

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

I over being upset with the loss of my free internet minutes, but what I dont appreciate of Princess is this so called benefit of internet costing 50% less for platinum/elite members.  Is that really true when they charge you the full cost upfront, and then give you onboard credit of 50% of cost?  So essentially  you have paid the full cost because, sure you got a credit but you have to spend it onboard or maybe maybe not you get it refunded with a check at the end of your cruise.  A true 50% discount is you pay for the reduced amount upfront, none of this I give you a credit later.  I've read here that Princess is working with the medallion to charge the 50% amt upfront for internet but dont know if that has started up yet.  

I don't mind paying up front and getting OBC. We don't drink, so the plus package isn't cost-effective for us. The OBC from the discount on internet can just go towards our gratuities.

• Like 3

So here's a question to consider. What will happen when loyal clients have used all of their FCC? Will they still be loyal to Princess or become free agents? I admit I was not surprised that WiFi was no longer free on Princess, but when you have lots of days with Princess and a pile of OBC it's frustrating that the cost for WiFi is 25% higher onboard. We could have another discussion on the app and how it works or doesn't work. There are lots of cruise lines and I hope the Carnival Corp. companies realize there are lots of options. Take aways are a bad way of doing business. I can do the math and figure what's the best deal. All Princess is doing is supporting all inclusive companies like Viking so you are not nickled and dimed.

I love the service, the food, the pricing and many other aspects of Princess; I also handle my Wifi purchase pre-boarding (yes, through Princess Plus or BSE). We're happy with them.🥂

• Of course, we also aren't going around looking for things to bash, which we've seen a lot of lately...😪
  • Like 1

Many threads here about this when it happened quite a while ago.  

Princess changed the system or platform from which wifi is provided.  It is no longer provided by time.  
As such, they could no longer provide a "by time" benefit.  
Instead, they offer us 50% off the price of their new "better" wifi.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ronvoyage said:

Free laundry is the gold standard once you were "elite" and is still given. 

Huh?  What is this "gold standard"?  I have never taken advantage of this benefit.  I've heard too many horror stories of shrinkage.

About 35 years ago, I knew a laundry with a "wash and fold" service in Old Town San Juan Puerto Rico at which I used to drop off a bag of laundry, which I picked up a few hours later on my way back to the ship on Back to Back cruises.  For something like $20, my laundry needs were handled gently.

3 hours ago, ronvoyage said:

Free Laundry is the gold standard once you were "elite" and is still given.

This is a top option which I use.  Curtains, bedding including the dogs all done for nothing.  Marvellous system.

Thirty years ago I left some laundry at a laundry in San Juan,  it was not done in time and the ship left.  I returned last year with the laundry ticket and for a laugh I went in and handed the ticket in.  They guy behind the counter said it will be ready Tuesday.

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, ronvoyage said:

Just was on the Majestic Princess and was surprised as an "elite" Captain's Circle member I was charged for WiFi. Free minutes are gone. Seems like I could have bought a 1 or 4 device WiFi package at a lower rate if I would have purchased it before boarding the ship. The new "benefit" is elite and platinum

members are now given a 50% discount, but the rate on the ship is 25% higher than if bought prior to boarding. Princess takes pride that their "Loyalty" program has excellent benefits. and I wonder if cruisers would continue their commitment if a higher number of days included a WiFi program for the length of the cruise. Free laundry is the gold standard once you were "elite" and is still given. How about a one devise WiFi program being included at 300 days and a four devise WiFi program at 450 days. Other cruise lines have more levels in their loyalty programs. Any thoughts??

Not new information.  This has been going on for quite some time

54 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I don't mind paying up front and getting OBC. We don't drink, so the plus package isn't cost-effective for us. The OBC from the discount on internet can just go towards our gratuities.

Same here, we don't drink alcohol, so we are thinking to get coffee packages and wifi. Can anyone tell me if I can use different devices as long as only one is used at the time?  The question for one device wifi plan.  I think 50%off is a good offer.  I will find out when I use the wifi on board if it is worth the price.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, adventurenerd said:

Same here, we don't drink alcohol, so we are thinking to get coffee packages and wifi. Can anyone tell me if I can use different devices as long as only one is used at the time?  The question for one device wifi plan.  I think 50%off is a good offer.  I will find out when I use the wifi on board if it is worth the price.  Thanks.

It's very easy to share one package. You just log in with the second device. You'll see an option to connect this device and disconnect the other one. When you go back to the first, you'll see that same option. No need to log out, just switch over.

Our next cruise is our first as Elite, so we're planning to swap the mini-bar setup for two coffee packages. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

It's very easy to share one package. You just log in with the second device. You'll see an option to connect this device and disconnect the other one. When you go back to the first, you'll see that same option. No need to log out, just switch over.

Our next cruise is our first as Elite, so we're planning to swap the mini-bar setup for two coffee packages. 

Hi See Dog, thanks for the info!

Congratulations for making Elite status!! Enjoy your specialty coffee!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adventurenerd said:

Can anyone tell me if I can use different devices as long as only one is used at the time?  The question for one device wifi plan.  I think 50%off is a good offer.  I will find out when I use the wifi on board if it is worth the price.  Thanks.

Yes, it's quite easy to switch devices. I used the one-device plan last week on my phone, my husband's phone (which was the only on which we could load the app,) my ChromeBook and a laptop. All devices were being used for different things, but not at the same time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, john watson said:

I think the new medallion and app have asserted that wifi is king to all passengers if they wish to participate in all the features the app has made available. 

Actually, you can partake of all features the app provides for free...you do not have to purchase a wifi plan.

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Huh?  What is this "gold standard"?  I have never taken advantage of this benefit.  I've heard too many horror stories of shrinkage.

About 35 years ago, I knew a laundry with a "wash and fold" service in Old Town San Juan Puerto Rico at which I used to drop off a bag of laundry, which I picked up a few hours later on my way back to the ship on Back to Back cruises.  For something like $20, my laundry needs were handled gently.

laundry-laundry-day.gif.536ce5aac7e311429a59bf4728624855.gif

• Haha 4

I agree there needs to be more tiers. NCL recently announced they are adding a new tier. Elite tier is so easy to obtain that there have become so many of them the benefits are diluted.  Somewhere around 365 days which is a full year needs to be a new top tier.