Year of the Tiger.

Happy new year (Chinese zodiac) for all who love to cruise, hoping that we all get to do it this year.

2022 is a year of the Water Tiger. It starts from February 1st, 2022, and ends on January 21st, 2023. A Water Tiger year occurs every 60 years.

Years of the Tiger include 2022, 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962, 19501938.….

The Tiger is known as the king of all beasts in China. The zodiac sign Tiger is a symbol of strength, exorcising evils, and braveness. Many Chinese kids wear hats or shoes with a tiger image for good luck.

Ox and Goat are the luckiest zodiac signs in the year of 2022. For those born in the years of the Rat, Snake, Monkey, Pig and Dog, you will need to make comparatively more effort in order to make achievements. Rabbit, Dragon, Horse, and Rooster people are destined to enjoy a smooth life and good luck in making money this year. Tigers will encounter their 'birth sign year' (benmingnian本命年) in 2022. Wearing red will bring good luck in a birth sign year

For everyone else , they can be sad  😉

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Happy new year (Chinese zodiac) for all who love to cruise, hoping that we all get to do it this year.

2022 is a year of the Water Tiger. It starts from February 1st, 2022, and ends on January 21st, 2023. A Water Tiger year occurs every 60 years.

Years of the Tiger include 2022, 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962, 19501938.….

The Tiger is known as the king of all beasts in China. The zodiac sign Tiger is a symbol of strength, exorcising evils, and braveness. Many Chinese kids wear hats or shoes with a tiger image for good luck.

Ox and Goat are the luckiest zodiac signs in the year of 2022. For those born in the years of the Rat, Snake, Monkey, Pig and Dog, you will need to make comparatively more effort in order to make achievements. Rabbit, Dragon, Horse, and Rooster people are destined to enjoy a smooth life and good luck in making money this year. Tigers will encounter their 'birth sign year' (benmingnian本命年) in 2022. Wearing red will bring good luck in a birth sign year

For everyone else , they can be sad  😉

Happy New Year (Chinese) to everyone 

Our local cafe gave everyone a free mug of coffee.  I also got a special sweet treat.

Any wonder we supported this cafe buying takeaway all through the lockdown.

24 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Does that mean that Richmond and Balmain will win their Premierships?😊

Can't comment on Richmond as I don't follow AFL, but the Wests Tigers have little chance of winning the NRL premiership & at this stage would be likely favourites for the spoon.

I'll be backing my mighty Penrith Panthers!!!!

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Happy New Year (Chinese) to everyone 

Our local cafe gave everyone a free mug of coffee.  I also got a special sweet treat.

Any wonder we supported this cafe buying takeaway all through the lockdown.

My local cafe gave me a container of home made beef dumplings.  It is my second home and they are Chinese.  Hubby makes the coffee, daughter when not at uni serves tables and wife cooks the meals.  They have been through hell with the lock downs and lack of international students so I hope they survive.  Beautiful people.

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

My local cafe gave me a container of home made beef dumplings.  It is my second home and they are Chinese.  Hubby makes the coffee, daughter when not at uni serves tables and wife cooks the meals.  They have been through hell with the lock downs and lack of international students so I hope they survive.  Beautiful people.

Yum!  I was going to have a Vietnamese Meal for lunch when I learnt they are not doing Vietnamese food any more, just Australian.  The Vietnamese food was always just an extra.  We are all disappointed but I'm going to try their new brunch menu.  It is hard for these small cafes to survive, when there are three within a block of my place. 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We had Bahn Mi's for lunch to celebrate, yes I know that it is Vietnamese  but I like them so much.

It is also Vietnamese New Year too today Mic. I know because I had my nails done at my local Vietnamese nail salon and they were celebrating with family tonight 

17 minutes ago, stki said:

It is also Vietnamese New Year too today Mic. I know because I had my nails done at my local Vietnamese nail salon and they were celebrating with family tonight 

True most of Asia celebrate the Chinese new year.

I was born in the year of the Tiger so it's a great year for me.  It will be a time of upheaval (hear that Scomo?) as the year of the Tiger always is.  Personally, being the year of the water Tiger, I'm expecting a return of cruising to our great southern lands.  Errr, I also have a long ago booked cruise for October so it better go ahead, or .... well, great upheaval I tellsya!

A very kung hai fat choi (or however you spell it?) to all our Australia/New Zealand cruisers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I actually like that many more are calling it Lunar New Year as many Asian Cultures celebrate it,  just their time schedules differ a bit.

Traditionally it is actually called the Spring Festival because on the traditional lunisolar calendar this is the beginning of Lichun which is the equivalent of Spring.

Anyway Google's done a little fun thing where if you Google any of the names for this new year you get an animation of fireworks on your screen😁🎆

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We had Bahn Mi's for lunch to celebrate, yes I know that it is Vietnamese  but I like them so much.

Are they those rolls with roast pork and vietnamese style salad and chilli? Like the Vietnamese bread shops make? Easy on the coriander please.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Are they those rolls with roast pork and vietnamese style salad and chilli? Like the Vietnamese bread shops make? Easy on the coriander please.

th.jpg

Yes, I especially  like ones with hot roast pork and some crackling as well

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, I especially  like ones with hot roast pork and some crackling as well

I have not seen the crackling in the Vietnamese shops and the pork is more like the Chinese Char Sui rather than like the Aussie style roast pork we have at dinner with crackling and apple sauce etc.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There is one place near me that has a variety of them,

Cold pork, hot roast pork, hot BBQ pork, fried egg and also tofu for the vegetarians.

Sounds good Mic.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:08 AM, NSWP said:

th.jpg

Some years ago there was a Vietnamese Bakery near where I worked that did the lunch rolls. They were good value compared to a regular sandwich shop, so I went there frequently. I had to tell them "No Coriander" as they put a shipload on. Over time the lady would just say "no coriander' as she got to know me 🙂

When I started travelling regularly to Vietnam for work, I learnt there were no 'Aussie roast pork rolls' there like the ones here 🙂 I had to learn to roll my own 'rolls' with rice paper!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Some years ago there was a Vietnamese Bakery near where I worked that did the lunch rolls. They were good value compared to a regular sandwich shop, so I went there frequently. I had to tell them "No Coriander" as they put a shipload on. Over time the lady would just say "no coriander' as she got to know me 🙂

When I started travelling regularly to Vietnam for work, I learnt there were no 'Aussie roast pork rolls' there like the ones here 🙂 I had to learn to roll my own 'rolls' with rice paper!

Rice paper rolls are a great way to use leftovers like roast pork or chicken. I also have some stirfry dishes that I make for dinner, deliberately making the full four serves then using the leftovers in rice paper rolls. I used to make peking duck rice paper rolls for parties ' just diced BBQ duck (bought) mixed with sliced cucumber, spring onion and a little hoisin sauce. They could be made in advance and kept chilled, then served with as dipping sauce of hoisin thinned with light soy.

• Like 2