Oceania Suite vs PH; worth it?

Clutj

Please ignore my first world problem if it annoys.  I am trying to decide whether to spring for an Oceania Suite at about 50% greater cost.  I see it’s 1,000 sq ft versus 420 sq ft and has a few more services that are easy to compare. If you’ve done this, what are the intangibles that pushed you over?  Or did you try it and go back to a PH?  FWIW, I would feel the cost (i.e., don’t have $100mm in the bank). 

Edited by Clutj
Add follow

We had the Oceania suite on Marina TA a few years back. Had 11080 with the wrap around balcony with hot tub and TV and a door bell. To us it was well worth the price. We have a vista suite for a TA next year. Looking forward to the space. We save for these cruises in suites for comfort. Have been in Regatta PH and thought it was good too. Don't know if this help, but our experience.

• Like 1

Just off the Riviera in an Oceania Suite.  I splurged as this was my beginning of retirement cruise.  The two jetted tubs were nice, one on the balcony, one in the bath.   Separate bedroom was nice.  Six bottles of alcohol was nice but not worth 10K more. 🙂  

We would have been happy in a PH but really enjoyed the space and luxury of essentially cruising in a small house...   

• Like 2

For us it depends on the itinerary. If there are a lot of sea days or if we are visiting a number of places we’ve spent time in before and only want a refreshment visit this time we chose the Oceania Suite. We love the space, love the theater room and love to have many of our meals served there, often with friends. We also like the location since we just walk right out to the pool deck, waves and the Terrace. We also love having his and hers bathrooms. 

On the other hand, if it is a shorter cruise with a different port every day we are absolutely fine with a PH. 

• Like 3

Oceania Suite is one of my most favorite cruise cabins/suites ever.  I was fortunate enough to cruise in an Oceania Suite four times with my wife before she passed away and we just loved it.  The reasons mentioned above are all valid.  One of the things I really enjoyed was on port days, closing the bedroom door and getting ready for the day, then opening the door and breakfast was laid out on the table.  I always thought it was so neat to have that happen to start the day.

Now, I am about to ask a question on the forum.  Oceania or Vista Suites?

PH suites are nice, OS is better ... in OUR opinion.  Yes, it's more expensive and you have to decide if the extra price is worth it for you.  But lately when we can, we opt for the OS.  Liked our VS options as well but in general prefer the OS -- assuming we can get one of the Deck 11 suites.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 8:50 PM, davencl said:

Just off the Riviera in an Oceania Suite.  I splurged as this was my beginning of retirement cruise.  The two jetted tubs were nice, one on the balcony, one in the bath.   Separate bedroom was nice.  Six bottles of alcohol was nice but not worth 10K more. 🙂  

We would have been happy in a PH but really enjoyed the space and luxury of essentially cruising in a small house...   

Curious, with the Oceania Suite you only get 6 bottles of wine for the entire cruise?  That would be gone in two days!

• Haha 1

Just now, PinonNoir said:

Curious, with the Oceania Suite you only get 6 bottles of wine for the entire cruise?  That would be gone in two days!

I believe it is 6 bottles of liquor - it can be wine or spirits

• Like 1

Having just stepped out of a PH on Regatta this morning I'll offer a counter opinion for what it's worth.  We throughly loved our PH and recognize it would have been nicer still on one of the larger ships.  Still, it was roomy enough for two and had a separate (enough) dining area to suit our purposes which generally don't include meals beyond breakfast.  We also don't entertain in the cabin.

I think one might reach a different conclusion if either of those things we didn't use appeal to you.  Namely, full meals served in suite or the ability to host a few friends for an intimate and private party.  If either of those describe you, the additional cost may look like a value indeed.  Also, I can easily imagine sailing with family where the use of the suite as a gather spot might allow one to put the relatives down in the bowels, say , heaven forbid, concierge class? 😉

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PinonNoir said:

Yes it's wine or spirits.  We opted for 6 bottles of liquor.

We have talked to guests in the OS and they love it, especially when traveling with multiple couples/friends so you have a place to gather for drinks or dinner or just hanging out and meeting to organize the days activities. Our only time in the OS, we were traveling with a group of 15 friends so we always knew where to gather for a beverage or two.  Our Butler was excellent and handled everything for everyone.  That 1,000 sq. ft. suite with multiple bathrooms comes in very handy, it is a WINNER. 
As for price, if it does not break your piggy bank, it is an outstanding room choice and we liked it even more than the Vista Suite because we could use the Veranda day and evening as opposed to being restricted when at sea each evening in the VS. 

Whatever floats your boat but life in a PH isn’t exactly roughing it 🤪👍

Ciao,

Mauibabes

I booked our first Oceania cruise for April, 2023 more than 18 months in advance with one of Oceania's top Elite Travel agents. I could not get one of the several Penthouse Suites I wanted much less anything in the few larger suites. Am waitlisted so we shall see. Anyway, in my very limited experience with Oceania you take what is available, not what you want. On my cruise all the PH2's, one of which I have confirmed, are now waitlisted.

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I booked our first Oceania cruise for April, 2023 more than 18 months in advance with one of Oceania's top Elite Travel agents. I could not get one of the several Penthouse Suites I wanted much less anything in the few larger suites. Am waitlisted so we shall see. Anyway, in my very limited experience with Oceania you take what is available, not what you want. On my cruise all the PH2's, one of which I have confirmed, are now waitlisted.

It the old days  cruises would sell out very quickly if you did not book the first week of them being posted 

Then things calmed down & you could book 6mths out  no problem

Now withe the lack of cruising because of the pandemic  we are back to book it the day they come out & hope for the best

Hope you clear the waitlist  for one of your desired cabins 

11 hours ago, mexicobob said:

You are  very observant.......it seems rare to  see the OS and top 3 suites ever open  very very small inventory  seems to be the larger issue........and demand  appears high.     So your right   its what you can get  more than what you want even 24 months out from my experience..      Good luck on your wait list....I hope you get it.    Maybe your agent can help in the future....  

Just now, PinonNoir said:

I don't suppose they have DRC or Yquem as options.

Sorry - I can't answer that as we have never sailed in a Suite but have been lucky to have friends that invite us to join them for cocktails...

We have booked a OC for the second time, again,

because of plentiful sea days. On a busy itinerary we are always out and about and have had PH or concierge. All great for our specific itinerary needs.The OC was particularly good when there was an outbreak of norovirus onboard. We had plenty of room, own alcohol and any food delivered.  All the cabins/suites we have occupied, on Oceania are great in my opinion.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:54 PM, Clutj said:

Please ignore my first world problem if it annoys.  I am trying to decide whether to spring for an Oceania Suite at about 50% greater cost.  I see it’s 1,000 sq ft versus 420 sq ft and has a few more services that are easy to compare. If you’ve done this, what are the intangibles that pushed you over?  Or did you try it and go back to a PH?  FWIW, I would feel the cost (i.e., don’t have $100mm in the bank). 

Remember that 420ft includes the balcony. It's really just a "large" cabin in my opinion. The pricing is pretty obvious. It costs a lot more for a Oceania or Vista suite in comparison. The larger suites do board a lot earlier. Penthouse suites board a lot closer to Concierge cabins.

Just an opinion - but it is.  Just look at your budget, if the suite you’d like falls within the budget go for it.  After all you’re on vacation and want the very best to enjoy, you only live once-so if it’s in the budget yes book it.

50 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just an opinion - but it is.  Just look at your budget, if the suite you’d like falls within the budget go for it.  After all you’re on vacation and want the very best to enjoy, you only live once-so if it’s in the budget yes book it.

or  said another way......"you can always get more money, (Well up to this year),..... you can not get more time.       

• Like 2