Itinary change Iona G205 Southampton to Canaries 19th Feb 22

bobstheboy

Just now, bobstheboy said:

Our Itinary has been change from Lisbon to Gibraltar. No idea why this far out, perhaps Portugal are not wanting cruise ships, but that is a guess. Anyone any idea why ?

I guessing because of Portuguese testing requirements. 

I wasn't going to get off in Lisbon anyway. Wouldn't want to test positive at last port of call and be turfed off the ship into a quarantine hotel. I have been to both Lisbon and Gibraltar a few times on cruises, so will probably just get off for a wander around in Gibraltar and a coffee.

hi 

also booked on however haven't been informed by either Iglu or P&O. Thanks to bobstheboy I have now looked online and seen the change on the itinerary. it doesn't really matter to us however it would have been nice to be told.

if its a Portugal thing though you would think Funchal would change??

cheers

1 hour ago, smoggymonster said:

hi 

also booked on however haven't been informed by either Iglu or P&O. Thanks to bobstheboy I have now looked online and seen the change on the itinerary. it doesn't really matter to us however it would have been nice to be told.

if its a Portugal thing though you would think Funchal would change??

cheers

Madeira has slightly different rules from mainland Portugal. A bit like the Isle of Man or Jersey in relation to the U.K.

Customer service is shocking. I only found out through another social media site.

Gib has fond memories for me, first visited in the 60's when in the RN. Some of the bars are still there, well they were last time I visited about ten years ago, so a pint or two for old times sake is on the cards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jevsy said:

I can still purchase excursions for Lisbon though, going right through to inputting my card details! 🤔

I’ve cancelled mine this morning , was visiting charming O’bidos a little disappointed not going there now , not a lot to do gib but it’s been 19 years since been there last , but certainly look to get some perfume stock up if it’s cheaper 😉

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I’ve cancelled mine this morning , was visiting charming O’bidos a little disappointed not going there now , not a lot to do gib but it’s been 19 years since been there last , but certainly look to get some perfume stock up if it’s cheaper 😉

Sorry you are missing Obidos, it is a lovely little town, we went on a tour to there from Lisbon on our last cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

With Gibraltar, bear in mind that you can bring in up to four litres of spirit.  We found the duty free shop at the terminal to be cheaper than the shops on Main St (Sailor Jerry, about £2.50 cheaper)

Yes and the duty free shop will take orders and payments as you leave the ship, so you just have to collect your booty from the shop store room in the port on your return.  Doing that meant we missed a very, very long queue of people wanting to purchase stuff then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm guessing we will see a lot more itinerary changes from last call Lisbon all the time there's testing involved.  No reason to run the risk of offloading passengers with all the expenses and complications if its Gibraltar last call.  Gibraltar assumedly doesn't need to follow to the letter the EU sailing directive so you can quarantine anyone known to be risky onboard and sail them home.

Personally hate calls to Gibraltar and find it in no way inspiring as a port stop  but then again I've never been interested in cheap shopping for duty free stuff.  

Edited by Megabear2

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

With Gibraltar, bear in mind that you can bring in up to four litres of spirit.  We found the duty free shop at the terminal to be cheaper than the shops on Main St (Sailor Jerry, about £2.50 cheaper)

I assume Gibraltar will only be a morning call, otherwise Iona will need to run at flank speed to overcome losing Lisbon.  So not a lot of time for leisurely shore excursions.

28 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

GiB is nearly always half day. Ocean village is nice. Careful as lots of fake booze,  cigs and perfume in some shops.

Depends on your cruise.  Full day last November on Princess, and we have another full day in May (Princess again)