iflyrc5 Almost Live from the Nieuw Statendam - Feb 2 - Mar 16 (we hope)

iflyrc5

53 minutes ago, 510picker said:

We are scheduled to be on the April 6th for an 11 day cruise. Received an email today saying due to azipod issues, our cruise has been cut down to 9 days and now leaves April 8th. Have you heard any reports of azipod issues while onboard? 

interesting - I think the Eurodam had recent azipod issues and had to cut their cruise short. I wonder if HAL has determined it's a "recall" kind of issue with some/many/all ships? This will be interesting to follow. Sorry for your altered and shortened cruise @510picker

• Like 1

The LONGEST 30 minutes of our cruise so far.  Today was the day we get our Covid test before our turnaround day in Ft Lauderdale on Sunday.  We got a notice last night to report to deck 3 MDR at 0930 for our test.  Got there at 0928 and about 8 couples in line ahead of us.  Checked in - they put a sticker on our hand with our information - got in line - 2 medical people doing the testing (from their badges they were contractors from Matrix) - it took just a minute to be tested - they put the stickers around the swab and said to go back to our cabin. That was at 0936. IF we did NOT get a call in 30 minutes we were good to go for the next cruise - it is now 1015 and no call so we are DOING THE HAPPY DANCE.  😁 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

The LONGEST 30 minutes of our cruise so far.  Today was the day we get our Covid test before our turnaround day in Ft Lauderdale on Sunday.  We got a notice last night to report to deck 3 MDR at 0930 for our test.  Got there at 0928 and about 8 couples in line ahead of us.  Checked in - they put a sticker on our hand with our information - got in line - 2 medical people doing the testing (from their badges they were contractors from Matrix) - it took just a minute to be tested - they put the stickers around the swab and said to go back to our cabin. That was at 0936. IF we did NOT get a call in 30 minutes we were good to go for the next cruise - it is now 1015 and no call so we are DOING THE HAPPY DANCE.  😁 

Yippee!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Congratulations.  We take our covid tests in 4 1/2 hours here in California.  I sure hope we get the same results you did so we can be doing the happy dance this afternoon.

Every time I read about testing on board and then waiting in your cabin I laugh. I was back in the cabin about 10 minutes when the phone rang. My heart sank-but it was just the Onboard Shops letting me know my DH's liquor order was ready to be picked up. I wanted to hit him over the head with that bottle. I was then able to breathe again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Every time I read about testing on board and then waiting in your cabin I laugh. I was back in the cabin about 10 minutes when the phone rang. My heart sank-but it was just the Onboard Shops letting me know my DH's liquor order was ready to be picked up. I wanted to hit him over the head with that bottle. I was then able to breathe again.

Oh that would have given me a heart attack!! 

• Like 1

Sea Day - Friday Feb 11 - Sunny and low 80s.  Today we are on our way back to Ft Lauderdale with our stop at the Holland America Private Island.  I missed the Ask the Captain session today because that was the same time that we had to stay in our cabin to find out our Covid test results.  After getting our negative test results and doing the happy dance it was time for some exercise.  I did 3 miles around the deck (9 laps) and then some time on the weight machines in the gym while Barb did the treadmill and also some of the weight machines.  Then time for lunch - I had a salad and one of the great soft pretzels from the lido and Barb had something from the Asian station.  After lunch some reading and then some time hanging out at the pool.   Tonight was a Gala night.  I had 2 of the giant shrimp cocktails, salad and steak and prawns and a Hot Fudge Sundae.  The World Stage performance tonight was the Step one dancers doing their show In Tandem that included a couple songs by the BB King lead male singer.  Very active dance routines - I don't see how they do it.  So that is today's report.  I did get to talk to our cruise director tonight and she confirmed that they will be showing the Super Bowl on the World Stage screen, the Lido pool screen on Sunday and there will be some festive snacks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - Feb 12 - sunny and low 80s with 15 knot winds.  At 2am this morning the ship time moved one hour back as we are heading back to Ft Lauderdale and need to change from Caribbean time to EST however I forgot to change our clocks and also apparently the person that was supposed to change the times on the ship channel the shows the Navigation information.  We were supposed to arrive off HMC at 0800 and when I looked out at 0800 I did not see an island - looked at the ship location on the map on the TV and we were quite a distance away and the TV said 0800 - then realized that we forgot to change the clocks last night when we went to bed so it was only 0700 and we still have an hour until the scheduled arrival - so back to sleep for another hour.  When we arrived it was a little windy but the Capt used the auto positioning system to hold the ship at an angle to the wind that allowed the tendering operations to start about 0820.   We had a nice breakfast then headed for our tender ride about 1030.  We were the only ship in today and with less than a 1000 guests on the ship the beach was not crowded.  We picked a couple chairs by the "I wish we could stay here forever bar" to park our stuff then a walk down the beach.   Then swimming (the water was a little cool but lots of people in the water)  until about noon when we headed to the BBQ for lunch.  With just one ship they had 2 lines going.  On the ship they serve you everything but here on the island you were able to serve your self the salads and deserts.  I had a burger and Barb had the fish tacos which she said were excellent.  While at lunch we had a very short sprinkle of ran but by the time we were done and back to the beach the sun was out again.  More swimming (Barb really likes this beach) until about 1330 then back to the ship.  We got showers early so we could go to Mass at 1700 (was full but not standing room only like last Saturday).  Nothing special in the MDR tonight so had dinner in the lido then hit the library exchange area in the Crows Nest before going to the show on the World Stage.  It was Cantare' doing their show All In which was a repeat from earlier in the cruise - it was excellent second time around too.  Tomorrow is our turnaround day in Ft Lauderdale.  We are supposed to meet in the BBKing lounge at 0915 and then go through immigration in the terminal as a group.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes for everyone to show up.  There are going to be 3 HAL ships and 3 other cruise ships tomorrow so it will be a busy day at the port and at the airport.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ft Lauderdale - Turn Around Day - Sunday, Feb 13 - 70, windy and pouring rain.  Looked out at 0730 to dark skies and pouring rains and very windy.  Because of the rain and some "technical difficulties" the disembarkation did not start until after 0800 for those carrying off their own luggage the color tags did not start being called until much later.  The those of us staying on for the next cruise were to meet in the BB King lounge NLT 0915 - and of course at 0930 they were still making announcements for guests to come to the lounge.  There were over 200 of us in this group that were staying on board. At 0945 we were given the OK to head to the terminal to see the government officials - that is when things got crazy - there was know one in the terminal to tell us how to proceed or were to go - we headed right and told sit in a small waiting area - then in about 3 minutes - get up and head the other way to go down and see the govt officials - went down with no guidance - then got in a line and went through a facial recognition scanner (never showed out passport) then told to go back up stairs using the elevators.   Got back up stairs and the gangway to the ship was blocked off and no guidance as to where to go - several times back and forth in the halls (remember this is a group of about 200 folks).  Finally a person showed up and said to go down the hall to the waiting area where the new arrivals would be processed.  After waiting there about 5 minutes then we were told to go back the other way and we could get back on the ship.  Total time off the ship was about an hour and it was total mess.  This is really not a fault of the ship folks but a total failure of the shore side contractor.  You might of thought that they had never done this before.  I talked to the Hotel Manager, Rene',  later and he was fully aware of what happened and said he was looking into what happened.  The rest of the day was spent calling friends and family.  The rain stopped about 1pm and we had partly sunny sail away at 1600.  Tonight is the Super Bowl part on the big screen at the lido pool.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Ft Lauderdale - Turn Around Day - Sunday, Feb 13 - 70, windy and pouring rain.  Looked out at 0730 to dark skies and pouring rains and very windy.  Because of the rain and some "technical difficulties" the disembarkation did not start until after 0800 for those carrying off their own luggage the color tags did not start being called until much later.  The those of us staying on for the next cruise were to meet in the BB King lounge NLT 0915 - and of course at 0930 they were still making announcements for guests to come to the lounge.  There were over 200 of us in this group that were staying on board. At 0945 we were given the OK to head to the terminal to see the government officials - that is when things got crazy - there was know one in the terminal to tell us how to proceed or were to go - we headed right and told sit in a small waiting area - then in about 3 minutes - get up and head the other way to go down and see the govt officials - went down with no guidance - then got in a line and went through a facial recognition scanner (never showed out passport) then told to go back up stairs using the elevators.   Got back up stairs and the gangway to the ship was blocked off and no guidance as to where to go - several times back and forth in the halls (remember this is a group of about 200 folks).  Finally a person showed up and said to go down the hall to the waiting area where the new arrivals would be processed.  After waiting there about 5 minutes then we were told to go back the other way and we could get back on the ship.  Total time off the ship was about an hour and it was total mess.  This is really not a fault of the ship folks but a total failure of the shore side contractor.  You might of thought that they had never done this before.  I talked to the Hotel Manager, Rene',  later and he was fully aware of what happened and said he was looking into what happened.  The rest of the day was spent calling friends and family.  The rain stopped about 1pm and we had partly sunny sail away at 1600.  Tonight is the Super Bowl part on the big screen at the lido pool.

There has been the need to re-design the process of how to deal with b2b guests for too many years.  It can be so simple.  C&I Officers--one or two--board the ship.  Guests meet in a specific lounge.  When the Officers are ready, guests file out of the lounge, cruise cards are scanned by someone from the Front Office, passports are checked by the Officers, and the process is finished.  This is what used to happen at times and is clearly needed in 2022.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There has been the need to re-design the process of how to deal with b2b guests for too many years.  It can be so simple.  C&I Officers--one or two--board the ship.  Guests meet in a specific lounge.  When the Officers are ready, guests file out of the lounge, cruise cards are scanned by someone from the Front Office, passports are checked by the Officers, and the process is finished.  This is what used to happen at times and is clearly needed in 2022.  

The process you outline was used on the KDam in 2018 twice when we did B2B2B2B and it worked great.  Our experience today would have been OK if there had been a few people from shore side (I think they are contractors) to give direction.  It will be interesting to see if/how things change for our turnaround on Feb 23.

• Like 1

Sea Day - Valentines Day - Feb 14 - mid 70s - showers - sun - gale force winds.   Today is the first of 2 sea days as we are making our way to Bonaire.  We were sailing along the north coast of Cuba most all day and this evening make the turn and heading south at 19 knots. This morning was cool, windy and with occasional passing light showers.  After breakfast did a little reading they walked the deck for 45 minutes with the passing showers - at about 1015 the rain got heavier so came in and finished my work out on the weight machines in the gym.  At about 1045 joined our Cruise critic meet and greet group at the lido bar and talked with Bruce and Rondi for about 45 minutes - we are planning to share a taxi to Blue Bay beach in Curacao in a couple days.  Then some lunch from the lido and reading and a little napping the rest of the afternoon - just a very relaxing afternoon.  The sun finally came out about 1500 but the water in the lido pool was very cool today so no swimming.   With this being Valentines Day this was also the first Gala night of the cruise.  Went to the MDR about 1745 and got a table for 2.  Right next to us was another table for 2 with a couple from Denver.  We had a nice conversation with them during dinner.  I had the filet which was good but very small and Barb had the grilled salmon which she said was excellent.  The World Stage tonight had the Step One dancers doing Humanity which we had seen on the first segment so we went to the BB King lounge and saw a new comedian, Brad Trackman.  He was OK but we have had better comedians on other cruises.  I heard tonight that there are only 854 guests on this cruise and from what I have seen in the venues it does appear to be a little smaller group than on the previous sailing.  Yesterday I mentioned about the issues on turn around day - today in our cabin after returning from dinner we found a nice tray of chocolates with a note expressing apologies for the issues in the terminal yesterday.  All is well.  We will see what happens on Feb 23 when we get to do it again.  Tonight we move our clocks forward one hour to get on Caribbean time so will need to sleep in a little tomorrow.  Sea day again tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sea Day #2 - Tuesday, Feb 15.  Cloudy - sunny - rain squall - low 80s with again gale force winds.  Today was another lazy day at sea.  After my usual breakfast of fruit, omelet with ham, bacon, mushrooms, peppers and an English muffin I did a little reading then 3 miles around the deck which was very windy today.  At 1100 I went to an EXC talk in the World Stage called the deep blue which was about the Caribbean and the sea turtles, notes in bottles and treasurers found in ship wrecks.  Had Asian for lunch, sweet and sour pork and noodles and one of the big soft pretzels.  The afternoon was spent reading around the lido pool.  About 1600 a strong rain squall came through.  It lasted about 20 minutes and then the sun was back out but still windy.  Dinner tonight was in the M DR with spicy meatballs, salad and pork loin - all excellent.  Barb ask one of the dinning room managers about an apple/pear salad that she had last week and what was in the dressing - he went to the kitchen - got the information and tonight after the show he had a copy left for us in our room.  That is why we love the HAL crew sooooooo much.  The crew on this cruise has been over and above in trying to please us.  There are probably a dozen or more crew members that recognize us by name and always greet us when they see us in the halls or venues.  These folks are amazing.  We went to the comedian Keith Bender tonight - we saw him last week and it was the same show but he is good.  Tonight we will try one of the on demand movies on the TV.  We are to arrive in Bonaire tomorrow at 1100 and if the weather looks good we are going to rent a golf cart from a company at the pier and tour the island on our own.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 2:53 PM, rkacruiser said:

That's how we did immigration inspection in San Diego on January 30, 2022 when we departed from our 28 day cruise.  It was super efficient and way better than the B2B process in Fort Lauderdale 14 days earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

We are to arrive in Bonaire tomorrow at 1100 and if the weather looks good we are going to rent a golf cart from a company at the pier and tour the island on our own.

We rented a golf cart in Bonaire a couple years ago and had a blast! Such a fun way to tour the island!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 2:53 PM, rkacruiser said:

5 hours ago, Btimmer said:

That's how we did immigration inspection in San Diego on January 30, 2022 when we departed from our 28 day cruise.  It was super efficient and way better than the B2B process in Fort Lauderdale 14 days earlier.

My last two B2Bs in San Diego in 2018 and 2019 were done the same way....just had to report to one of the meeting rooms on board with our passports and that's it!  The only catch for a night owl/late riser like me is that the report time was 6:30 am!! 😲  Still rather do that way and get it over with in 15 minutes than have to go into the terminal.

~Nancy

• Like 3

Kralendijk, Bonaire, Feb 16 - Mostly Sunny - low 82 - windy but not gale force today.   We had a late arrival today not arriving until 1100.  Had a small lunch from the Dive-in at 1130 and then headed out to see about renting a golf cart for the afternoon to tour the island.  When exiting the ship the local officials were checking everyone's vax cards to make sure we were fully vaccinated.  We found the tent for the golf cart rental folks "Bonaire Cruisers" and she directed us to their location which was a short 3 block walk.  We arrived about 1245 at the rental office.  The rental was $95 for the day and a $100 deposit that would be returned.  These were basically the normal golf cart but on the road could do about 20mph.  We were a little concerned about driving them on the roads but turned out there was really no problem. Took about 5 minutes for the paperwork and then they went over the map of the island.  There are 2 routes. The south route which takes you past the airport, salt flats, many and beaches and this is 1.5 hours if you don't stop.  The north route takes about 2.5 hours without stopping and since we had to be back by 5pm (we should have left earlier) we decided to take the south route.  Leaving town we went south with the water on our right and the airport and then the salt flats on our left.  We stopped at several beach areas which would have been good for diving but not for just swimming.  We passed the slave huts from the 1850s then to a beach with a kite surfing school with lots of folks out kite surfing.  Then only around the south side of the island and up the east side where the surf was very rough with no beaches.  The locals have picked up driftwood and trash item along this coast and made artworks by piling them up along the edge of the surf, basically cleaning up the area.  About 1530 we stopped at one of the local bars for a drink and there was a large group doing sail boarding in this area.  After the drink then back on the road and back to Kralendijk.  We went through town and a mile or so north then out to the road that goes along the water heading back to the rental location arriving at 1645.  Turned in the golf cart then a short walk back to the ship.  Got some ice tea to cool off and took some photos around the port then showers and dinner in the MDR.  I had jerk chicken and Barb had the Spare ribs - both good.  Ship departure was as 2000.  Since we had already seen the show that the dance company was doing we went to the BB King to hear Brad Trachtman do his show "Observational Humor" which we pretty good.  Tonight we a sailing at 8 knots on our way to Curacao for an 0800 arrival.

DSCN0503.JPG

DSCN0544.JPG

DSCN0574.JPG

20220216_162024.jpg

Edited by iflyrc5
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Willemstad, Curacao - Thursday - Feb 17 - partly cloudy - low 80s - windy.  We arrived at the older outside pier at 0800 and the ship was cleared by 0820.  The When and Where said we needed our ship card, photo ID and Vax card but only the ship card was needed.  We met up with another couple at our Cruise Critic meet and greet and shared a taxi to Blue Bay Beach resort.  We met at 0930 and were in a taxi on our way in 5 minutes with no line.  The last time we were her in January 2019 there was a sign posted that gave the taxi prices to the various beaches and as I recall at taxi for 4 to Blue Bay was $30 - no sign this time  and the driver said the fee would be $40 each way for 4 people (it is a 20 minute ride).  He also told us the Blue Bay had raised their price from $8 to $12 for beach access with a chair.  This is a nice sheltered beach with shade if you want it and good chairs, bathrooms, and bar.  Barb was in the water probably 3 hours and I got in twice for about 30 minutes each.  We did not bring our snorkel gear on this cruise and this beach does not have much to see snorkeling anyway.  We arranged to have the taxi return at 1400 and he was right on time (Taxi #22).  Back to the ship by 1420 for my big jug of ice tea.  Barb stayed on the ship and and rested while I ventured out to walk the town for about an hour.  Not much changed since 2019 but there is some extensive construction going on for new buildings around the pier area. Dinner tonight was at 1800 in the Pinnacle.  They only had about 6 tables with guests and we got a table for 2 right next to the window so we could see the people coming and going from the ship.  We had the jumbo shrimp (and they were huge), Barb had the 7oz filet a nd I had the 10oz with a couple of shared sides.   Barb had the Key Lime pie and I had the souffle.  Everything was excellent and the service was great.  We had seen the show tonight so did not go.  We are in port until 2300 tonight then a quick trip over to Aruba with arrival at 0800 tomorrow.  Over all another great day in the Sun and warm temps on an outstanding DAM ship.

20220217_192044.jpg

DSCN0664.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, cccole said:

The beach looks amazing.  I would not want to get out of the water.  Did you find drinks and food at the beach good?  Thanks for taking us along.  Cherie

We did not purchase any food but what the were serving looked very good and they had a full bar with either walkup or a couple of ladies walking around the chairs taking orders.  Be the about noon the beach was pretty full of folks.

• Like 3

Oranjestad, Aruba, Friday Feb 18, Sunny - low 80s - not much wind today.  We arrived at Oranjestad at 0800 and were cleared very quickly.  Today only needed ship card and photo ID - no vax card mentioned.  We had 4 ships in today.  The Freewind which is docked here every time we have been here and is associated with the Church of Scientology (they were having a big loud dance party as were were leaving), a US Coast Guard cutter and a cruise ship with the blue stack with a red symbol - (can never remember the name of the cruise line).  After breakfast and a little reading I headed out about 1030 for a walk.  There was a lot of cars but very few tourists walking the streets and shops.  The changed the route that you exit from our last visit in 2019 and now have you going past many of the local stands of local vendors before you get out to the main street.  This adds about 300 yards if you are going to the main street.  Barb stayed on the ship and said she would get her exercise in the pool later.  I got out to street, turned right and headed down toward the marina area - then out and around the Renaissance resort/casino and continued on down in the direction of the airport.  I got down to the  Reflections Bar/Beach which is a place we have gone to during previous visit (2 chairs and an umbrella are $19) then went a little further to the last bar area at Surfside Beach.  Turned around and headed back to downtown.  Got back to the ship about about 1230.  It was a warm day for walking but not too bad and the breeze was enough to cool you off a little in the shady areas.  Got my bigmug of ice tea and headed toward the lido pool for lunch and found Barb.  We each had a pizza from the NY Deli for lunch then a little reading around the pool.  Just getting ready to head to the cabin to put on swim suits when the movie on the big screen came on at 1400 - It was called Here Today with Billy Crystal and was really goo so we stayed and watched - when it was over at 1600.  We then headed to the cabin for the swim suits - back to the pool and about an hour of swimming until time for showers before dinner.  We got to the MDR at 1830 and it was nearly empty.  This was about any hour after our normal time and the all aboard is not until 2230 so maybe some guests eating in town.  Tonight was one of my favorites with the spring rolls for my starter (I always get a double order) and the Wiener Schnitzel for my main.  We skipped desert since we had some ice cream during the movie.  The show tonight was Origins, the history of HAL which we had seen before but went down after dinner and caught the second half - it is something not to miss if you are a HAL fan.  We are heading out at 2300 tonight for a sea day tomorrow.  On our way back north with a stop Sunday at Amber Cove. 

20220218_170137.jpg

DSCN0793.JPG

DSCN0804.JPG

Edited by iflyrc5
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Relaxing Sea Day - Saturday, Feb 19 - Sunny, low 80s, near gale force winds.  Today is a sea day as we head toward Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic.  Slept in to just after 0800 then up to the lido for breakfast.  Out around the lido pool, which is where we normally eat breakfast, there was a explosion of towel animals everywhere.  I talked to our cabin stewards and they were all up at 0630 this morning making them and setting them out around the pool.  At 1000 was the Ask the Captain presentation.  He had a very extensive power point slide show and explained a lot of the behind scenes workings of the ship.  One tidbit of info is that the ships mileage is 1 foot per gallon and the average cost of full for a typical 10 day cruise at the current prices is $700,000.   After the talk I did my 45 minutes of walking the deck and some weights in the gym.  Lunch in the lido was chicken fingers and a couple cookies.  Then some reading and swimming at the lido pool until time for showers and Mass at 1700.  We had seen the show so went to dinner a little later at 1830 and then to see a new comedian, John Wing,  that recently joined the ship.  He was really good and had crowd really laughing. 

20220219_081256.jpg

20220219_081328.jpg

20220219_081513.jpg

20220219_082324.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1