Pinnacle or Rudi's .....?

Qcruise

On 2/11/2022 at 7:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

What an excellent review; thanks for posting it.

Expressing a differing thought regarding my cruise on Nieuw Statendam:  The NY Pizza and Deli was excellent.  Tasty pizzas and sandwiches with Caesar Salads and a custard type dessert that were very good.  Different people in charge/working?  That does make a difference.  Did not try Canaletto on my cruise because it has been a "hit or miss" dining experience on others.  Since cruising has re-started, the reports about Canaletto have been positive.  

Looks delicious!  Did you order the Escargots as an appetizer?  (Delicious and a different preparation as what is served in the MDR.)  Next time, try the Dover Sole.  Every time that I have ordered that--have not been disappointed.

DF had escargot and thought they were like canned snails tarted up. Meanwhile my crab bisque was probably one of the top 10 soups I have ever had.  Calamari was very good also.  Unlike previous Rudy's visits they really stepped up the lobster preparation and presentation.  Crab legs tasty but tiny. Should have had the lobster. 

IMG_20220221_195919057.jpg

IMG_20220221_195911111.jpg

IMG_20220221_191301949.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is my experience that the food quality and the service on ALL the venues is hit-and-miss. I have had some wonderful meals, and some I left on the plate after tasting. For example, some steaks are melt-in-your-mouth tender, others are just slabs of tough grizzle. I never send food back; I think they should get it right the first time. There are so many places to eat, I can't see wasting another thirty minutes waiting in hopes that the chef gets it right on his second try. 

• Like 2

It is my experience that the food quality and the service on ALL the venues is hit-and-miss. I have had some wonderful meals, and some I left on the plate after tasting. For example, some steaks are melt-in-your-mouth tender, others are just slabs of tough grizzle. I never send food back; I think they should get it right the first time. There are so many places to eat, I can't see wasting another thirty minutes waiting in hopes that the chef gets it right on his second try. 

Edited by BobbiSox
double post

Edited by BobbiSox
double post

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 4:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

Next time, try the Dover Sole.  Every time that I have ordered that--have not been disappointed.

I have been perusing menus to get ready for my upcoming trip.  I have reservations at Rudi's.  

It's seems like it would be hard to pass up a 12 ounce lobster tale for sole.  😉  Have you tried the lobster?

1 hour ago, Petrocelli said:

I have been perusing menus to get ready for my upcoming trip.  I have reservations at Rudi's.  

It's seems like it would be hard to pass up a 12 ounce lobster tale for sole.  😉  Have you tried the lobster?

Have had the lobster multi times but since trying the Dover sole.. hands down love it better. I also love the halibut in Pinnacle, duck in Tamarind, and the veal liver special in Canaletto!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

No.  I can enjoy a quality lobster dinner at a few of my upscale restaurants where I live.  Dover Sole's availability is nil.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  I can enjoy a quality lobster dinner at a few of my upscale restaurants where I live.  Dover Sole's availability is nil.  

Good thought.  I'll also be eating at Pinnacle Grill a few days later, so I can get lobster there.  

This is the first vacation where I have picked an entree literally 52 days before the meal.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

Good thought.  I'll also be eating at Pinnacle Grill a few days later, so I can get lobster there.  

This is the first vacation where I have picked an entree literally 52 days before the meal.

If you are talking about the lobster in the pinnacle for the $10 or $15 extra was not good when I had it. it was mushy.  The lobster tail in sel de mer stand alone (not the pop up in the pinnacle) was amazing.  I used to always get the fresh fish but this was so much better.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

If you are talking about the lobster in the pinnacle for the $10 or $15 extra was not good when I had it. it was mushy.  The lobster tail in sel de mer stand alone (not the pop up in the pinnacle) was amazing.  I used to always get the fresh fish but this was so much better.

Ditto this exactly!  The Pinnacle lobster was a waste of $20 while the Rudi's was excellent.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, echoshipmate said:

my lamb shops would have been up and running around with a nice dose of vitamin B.

Clever metaphor, but I'm curious as to how you requested your chops be cooked. 🤔

On 2/27/2022 at 1:26 PM, cruzin4us said:

I love them both!    I order the lobster in the PG and it is $20.   It's SOOOOO good.  I've been craving it for 2 years now!   I spent more money on lobster than I did drinks 🙂.    

AC8532CA-B996-45D4-8A4A-E5168485F664.jpeg

We had two of those (prepared exactly like that) with no up charge in the MDR on our last Zuiderdam sailing (April '22). DW and I agreed that they were some of the best lobster tails we've ever had! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I had the scallops in the Pinnacle on Eurodam in October, they were delicious.  I was all set to order them again on Koningsdam in March, and they were not on the menu.  

They are on Pinnacle menu for our Oosterdam cruise next month, so you may have them on your Viking cruise later. 🤞 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

They are on Pinnacle menu for our Oosterdam cruise next month, so you may have them on your Viking cruise later. 🤞 

I’m pretty sure crewnews said they were on the zuiderdam so I think it was added universally the the pinnacle menu.

18 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

I start trying to find menus online soon after I book a cruise and start the "anticipation" process.  I may be weird.  But, I really enjoy doing that.  It gives me some time to reflect before arriving in the dining venue and, then, having to decide rather quickly what to order.  

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I start trying to find menus online soon after I book a cruise and start the "anticipation" process.  I may be weird.  But, I really enjoy doing that.  It gives me some time to reflect before arriving in the dining venue and, then, having to decide rather quickly what to order.  

I do that as well.  I even do it in my home city if I go somewhere new. I have a friend that would benefit for this.  When we go out it takes her at least an hour to order because she has to read every ingredient over ten times.  I try to eat something small before I go out because it’s not going to be quick.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I do the same thing, so I guess we're both weird.. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

I do the same thing, so I guess we're both weird.. 😉

If we all find ourselves on the same cruise, maybe we ought to have our own M&G!  

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have a friend that would benefit for this.  When we go out it takes her at least an hour

I had one as well.  We would discuss the menu for some time while the waiter would keep coming back asking if we were ready to order.  When a "decision" would be made--I thought--and I would tell the waiter "yes, we are ready".  She sometimes would say:  you order for me.  This was at the start of her dementia.  I didn't understand at that time.  Now, I do.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Clever metaphor, but I'm curious as to how you requested your chops be cooked. 🤔

Ha, thanks. I ordered and prefer lamb rib chops almost medium, between medium rare and medium. Clearly, not close, but oh well, still on a great ship, only one meal out of many, e pluribus unum, only different application!

Doug