Mask protocols for Europe summer 2022

I am part of a large group of friends who decided to go on an RCL Mediterranean cruise in June 2022. We have 9 cabins, 20 people total and were excited to qualify for the group benefits. One person called RCL to see what the current protocols are for that cruise. He was told masks were required inside and outside except when in the stateroom and eating/drinking. He specifically asked about loungers. The rep told him yes, even on the pool deck.

We know sometimes different reps can give different answers. So another friend called. She was told the same thing. She sarcastically asked if masks were required in the pool. She was told no, they were not (because we all know the virus can’t travel in a small pool or hot tub???). She told them if that’s the case, more than likely 6 people in a total of 3 cabins would for sure cancel. Now I’m bummed because we’ll lose the group benefits. We convinced them to wait until final payment is due next month. The rep did say this policy is through April 14th.

Here is my question – has anyone else received the same information? I understand masking indoors or when social distancing cannot be maintained. But why not spread out the loungers so people don’t have mask tan lines? I also hope someone from corporate reads these threads because this seems way over the top. I can’t find any discussions on this but maybe it’s a European requirement? We have cruised many lines but this would be our first time on RCL…and possibly our last if this remains the case.

13 minutes ago, Tongiejayhawk said:

I am part of a large group of friends who decided to go on an RCL Mediterranean cruise in June 2022. We have 9 cabins, 20 people total and were excited to qualify for the group benefits. One person called RCL to see what the current protocols are for that cruise. He was told masks were required inside and outside except when in the stateroom and eating/drinking. He specifically asked about loungers. The rep told him yes, even on the pool deck.

We know sometimes different reps can give different answers. So another friend called. She was told the same thing. She sarcastically asked if masks were required in the pool. She was told no, they were not (because we all know the virus can’t travel in a small pool or hot tub???). She told them if that’s the case, more than likely 6 people in a total of 3 cabins would for sure cancel. Now I’m bummed because we’ll lose the group benefits. We convinced them to wait until final payment is due next month. The rep did say this policy is through April 14th.

Here is my question – has anyone else received the same information? I understand masking indoors or when social distancing cannot be maintained. But why not spread out the loungers so people don’t have mask tan lines? I also hope someone from corporate reads these threads because this seems way over the top. I can’t find any discussions on this but maybe it’s a European requirement? We have cruised many lines but this would be our first time on RCL…and possibly our last if this remains the case.

protocols for summer sailings have not been released yet

• Like 5

It is unlikely (but not out of the question) that masks will be mandatory on outside decks.

As a general rule, however, mask-wearing is taken seriously in continental Europe and is expected and/or enforced in many countries, which may come as a shock to many Americans in particular.

• Like 2

Protocols have not been released past 2/14.  They have not been released for Europe.  Different countries have different rules.  For example, the mask rules on the ship, although can be relaxed in some areas are all coming from President Biden's executive orders.  Every week, rules have been changed in many countries.  Whether you go to Europe on a cruise, or in hotels, or any other means, you will need to follow local rules.  RCCL will make those for the ship based on those.  

Canceling vacations for a mask is like canceling life for the year.  I see many people that had vibrant lives, now depressed because they can't get past the rules and/or fears.  I personally did not cancel 2021, and I have a full vacation schedule in 2022, which includes Europe and possibly wearing a mask sometimes

• Like 7

We all know that protocols change on a regular basis and I wouldnt cancel a June sailing because of something a phone rep said beginning of February.

It is unknown whether the places you will visit in europe will require masks when outdoors.  Their country their rules.  

Just wait until protocols are released for summer sailings and even then they could change for the better or the worse.  No idea right now as my crystal ball is not working right now.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Protocols have not been released past 2/14.  They have not been released for Europe.  Different countries have different rules.  For example, the mask rules on the ship, although can be relaxed in some areas are all coming from President Biden's executive orders.  Every week, rules have been changed in many countries.  Whether you go to Europe on a cruise, or in hotels, or any other means, you will need to follow local rules. 

Current protocols remain in effect until April 14th, they were extended about 2 weeks ago.

BTW, President Biden is not controlling masking requirements on cruise ships.

• Like 2

As others have said it’s far too early to know what the requirements will be for the upcoming summer cruise season. I can tell you that last summer masks were not required outdoors, nor are they currently required outdoors in any European country to my knowledge*. Certainly they are fairly strictly required indoors.  

*There are some limited exceptions, for example when we go to Disneyland Paris, masks have been required even outdoors there due to inability to maintain social distance in the crowds. Similarly at Christmas time some of the key shopping streets here in Germany required masks due to crowds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Current protocols remain in effect until April 14th, they were extended about 2 weeks ago.

BTW, President Biden is not controlling masking requirements on cruise ships.

they put alot of wiggle room in the mask portion of the extended protocols saying. "Masks are required in the terminal, in select locations inside the ship, and may be required at various destinations."  So they can change the select locations list as they want.  I'm hoping the go back to pre-omicron rules shortly

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BekkaW said:

As others have said it’s far too early to know what the requirements will be for the upcoming summer cruise season. I can tell you that last summer masks were not required outdoors, nor are they currently required outdoors in any European country to my knowledge*. Certainly they are fairly strictly required indoors.  

Italy and Greece both currently have outdoor mask mandates.

By June, of course, it’s very likely that things will have changed for the better.

But even so, the Med probably isn’t the ideal destination for anyone who can’t or won’t wear a mask this year.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 4

Royal is going to follow whatever the countries require. It'll be a while before royal releases protocols so I'd follow the countries' mask requirements and any of ships currently sailing to your destination to get an idea. 

Europe has taken masks and vax and shutdowns way more serious than the US has so I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be similar to US sailings. 

• Like 5

So based upon the responses here (and what we can see on the website), another person in our group called RCL. She spoke with a very helpful person. He echoed what many of you stated - no European protocols have been announced. When my friend asked him if he was sure, because two people in our group talked to two other RCL employees and were informed of something different. He checked with his supervisor and she confirmed that no protocols have been released. 

I have no idea why the first two RCL employees stated what they did. Why wouldn't they have just stated that no protocols were released? Oy vey...

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

oh interesting! That had not been our experience, but things are changing all the time especially with this omicron.  Thanks for the updated info

4 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

By June, of course, it’s very likely that things will have changed for the better.

But even so, the Med probably isn’t the ideal destination for anyone who can’t or won’t wear a mask this year.

All over Europe mandates are being dropped. I don't expect any masking this summer, however the vaccine requirement will probably stay in place. But - this is me guessing. Nothing has been published.

All Public Transportation and a lot of other places in Europe are requiring N95, KN95 masks. So make sure you travel with them. I think airlines flying to Europe from the US also do so. You might want to check with your airline. I am also pretty sure that proof of vaccination will stay in place. Just checked during our vacation my daughter and me will be ok but my son will need a booster-shot, since a lot of European Countries the vaccination can't be more then 270 days prior your stay.

• Like 1

Italy has just dropped outdoor mask mandates from this Friday the 11th of February and the indoor event and crowded place mandate is currently extended to at least the 31st of March. 

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/italy-scraps-outdoor-mask-mandate-aims-ease-stadium-limits-2022-02-08/

Spain has dropped the outdoor mandate from this Thursday the 10th of February. Local regions are continually updating other mask and vaccine requirements.

https://www.surinenglish.com/spain/masks-will-longer-20220207122226-nt.html

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/spain-scrap-mandatory-outdoor-masks-feb-10-2022-02-04/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am more concerned about the testing requirement. We will need to test before leaving to Europe, and then again in Europe before boarding the ship since too much will have elapsed from our first test. I am nervous about testing positive in Europe and being denied entry to the ship. Also, will all countries allow cruise ship passengers to enter, and will we need to be on ship excursions?

5 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

I am more concerned about the testing requirement. We will need to test before leaving to Europe, and then again in Europe before boarding the ship since too much will have elapsed from our first test. I am nervous about testing positive in Europe and being denied entry to the ship. Also, will all countries allow cruise ship passengers to enter, and will we need to be on ship excursions?

It's travel in the time of Covid.  Pretty impossible to predict this stuff so far out.

Spain has had ships throughout the winter season and not required passengers to take ship sponsored excursions.  If they didn't start that during the Omicron surge then it's likely they want start it.

Italy's been requiring bubble excursions for quite a while.  Hard to say if/when that might change.

And the list goes on for each nation.  Personally, I wouldn't be taking any cruise where I'd be devastated to miss a port or be required to take an excursion in a port.  Chances of something happening are too high.

Personally, I'm in Europe flying to the US for a TA.  We'll test the morning we fly, and that test will suffice for both the flight and boarding the ship after overnighting in Florida (assuming they stick with current, two days prior rules).  We could actually test the day before our flight.  That said, we travel knowing a mandatory quarantine is a possibility, take items we'd want for work and entertainment in case of quarantine with us and hope for the best 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Not sure where you're getting your info.  There isn't any testing requirement for entry into Germany if you're fully vaccinated, and several other countries have announced that testing requirements will be dropped in the near future, again for fully vaccinated travelers.  As for countries allowing cruise ship passengers entry and requiring bubble excursions?  That's impossible to answer at the moment, things are changing almost daily.

Edited by crazyank
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BekkaW said:

oh interesting! That had not been our experience, but things are changing all the time especially with this omicron.  Thanks for the updated info

And Denmark (and maybe Sweden) have totally removed all restrictions.

Everything can be VERY different in four months.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Protocols have not been released past 2/14.  They have not been released for Europe.  Different countries have different rules.  For example, the mask rules on the ship, although can be relaxed in some areas are all coming from President Biden's executive orders.  Every week, rules have been changed in many countries.  Whether you go to Europe on a cruise, or in hotels, or any other means, you will need to follow local rules.  RCCL will make those for the ship based on those.  

Canceling vacations for a mask is like canceling life for the year.  I see many people that had vibrant lives, now depressed because they can't get past the rules and/or fears.  I personally did not cancel 2021, and I have a full vacation schedule in 2022, which includes Europe and possibly wearing a mask sometimes

Totally agree!!  We have a 2 week vacation in Mexico in April and 1 month in Italy June/July.  I made these reservations knowing full well that I will follow whatever protocols each country has in place at the time and won't whine about the decision I made.  Not really worried to much about a tan line, grew out of that years ago, well not really, I never "worried" about it.  

On 2/8/2022 at 8:28 AM, Tongiejayhawk said:

IMO your friends are overreacting and should just stay home.  We can all say, why don't they do this or that, they don't, they make the rules, we agree or not.