How does the drinks package on a NCL ship work?

RBrowny

Hi, I haven’t cruised in a very long time and I’m a little confused. We have the drinks package which comes with the current offer.

I was wondering how it works, I think it’s drinks up to $15 if I’m correct. But what if I order say a Vodka and a Coke, would that add both the values together which could go over $15 or how does it work? 

Also, with every order, do you have to sign or can you just go to the bar, order drink then walk away? Again, sorry it’s been a while since I’ve been on a cruise, probably 8 years now.

thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RBrowny said:

But what if I order say a Vodka and a Coke, would that add both the values together which could go over $15 or how does it work? 

It would be one drink. It wouldn't cost over $15. It would be vodka and Pepsi (no Coke on NCL).

Even if you order something that is over $15, you pay the difference plus 20% on that difference. A $20 shot would cost you $5 plus 20% ($6 total) when using the basic promo package (PBP).

You can upgrade your package to include more expensive choices if that works out better.

3 hours ago, RBrowny said:

Also, with every order, do you have to sign or can you just go to the bar, order drink then walk away?

The only time that you might get a slip is while in port or near port depending on where you are. Some places will have a tax on food/beverage purchases until the ship is out to sea so your onboard account will be charged according to the base price (before service charges) of the item. Nothing much to worry about.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RBrowny said:

Hi, I haven’t cruised in a very long time and I’m a little confused. We have the drinks package which comes with the current offer.

I was wondering how it works, I think it’s drinks up to $15 if I’m correct. But what if I order say a Vodka and a Coke, would that add both the values together which could go over $15 or how does it work? 

Also, with every order, do you have to sign or can you just go to the bar, order drink then walk away? Again, sorry it’s been a while since I’ve been on a cruise, probably 8 years now.

thanks in advance! 

Drinks up to $15 - they have quite a selection of vodkas that qualify under the program. You can order two drinks at a time and I have never noticed a limit on the number of drinks you can have in an hour but I am sure someone on here will know! On our recent cruise in October we did not sign for anything at any bar the only time we signed was in Cagneys but that was for an upcharge. Even in NYC where we had to pay taxes there was no paper - just got to count our drinks on hte on-board accout! Generally you order your drinks and they run the card, if there are two of you sharing a cabin they will only run one card. You can also order glasses of wine with dinner, just not a bottle, with the package - well you can drink a bottle of wine with dinner just one glass at a time😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaperSniper4 said:

A double scotch, neat, in one glass would be two drinks or one?

If the scotch you’re asking for is regular price, 1. They don’t really charge “per ounce” in the same way as a conventional bar. One glass = 1 drink, it doesn’t matter what’s in it. You can always ask for your drinks to be made a little stronger, and they don’t charge for that 

4 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

A double scotch, neat, in one glass would be two drinks or one?

We got a few drinks neat and they were pretty scrupulous about measuring, so I think in their mind a double would be two drinks.  Whether or not they use that to enforce the 2-drink policy I don't know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Vodka and coke, that’s one glass, one drink. They run your card and you walk away.

But will that come underneath the $15 total, and will be fine won't it?

11 hours ago, Sdman36 said:

actually I got Gray Goose with diet Pepsi, included in standard package

That sounds right up my street.

9 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

You can order two drinks per transaction. 

So a total of $30? So say I want a double vodka, and a coke, that comes above it doesn't it?

1 hour ago, cricket200 said:

Drinks up to $15 - they have quite a selection of vodkas that qualify under the program. You can order two drinks at a time and I have never noticed a limit on the number of drinks you can have in an hour but I am sure someone on here will know! On our recent cruise in October we did not sign for anything at any bar the only time we signed was in Cagneys but that was for an upcharge. Even in NYC where we had to pay taxes there was no paper - just got to count our drinks on hte on-board accout! Generally you order your drinks and they run the card, if there are two of you sharing a cabin they will only run one card. You can also order glasses of wine with dinner, just not a bottle, with the package - well you can drink a bottle of wine with dinner just one glass at a time😁

I just don't want to be charged extra for stuff that I think is included. Yeah, more of a beer/spirit/cocktail man then a wine man, so that should be fine. It's just hopefully don't have to pay any extra when we're docked, as that would be annoying.

Look at the menus - ask the bartender - don't ask for the souvenir glasses (they are not included) We have never been charged extra (not to say that others may have!) I will order a double Baileys as my after dinner drink and its always been included - multiple ships, multiple times.  Be nice to your bartenders and servers ! The one thing that might be charged unknowlingly is if you order an Irish coffee (or other 'specialty coffees') it is not included but a coffee and a whiskey is... just have to mix it yourself!

My DH and I check our onboard account everyday (on the TV in the cabin) and then there are no surprises.

My favorite thing about the having the drinks package is NOT having to think about having the $15 cocktail that I may or may not like or trying the special of the day just to see what's so special about it!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

If the scotch you’re asking for is regular price, 1. They don’t really charge “per ounce” in the same way as a conventional bar. One glass = 1 drink, it doesn’t matter what’s in it. You can always ask for your drinks to be made a little stronger, and they don’t charge for that 

I'll give that a try. We prefer our pre-dinner drinks on the balcony, so during the day I'll stop by a bar somewhere and get my scotch, take it to the cabin, and pour it into a RumRunner to be used later that evening. That's the drill we've used on prior "drinks included" cruises. We're not much for bars......must be antisocial or maybe just prefer our own company. <g>

Doug

7 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

We got a few drinks neat and they were pretty scrupulous about measuring, so I think in their mind a double would be two drinks.  Whether or not they use that to enforce the 2-drink policy I don't know.

Hmmmm, it seems your experience doesn't match the gentleman's above, but different ships have different bartenders, so it makes sense I guess. Not a big deal in any event, I'm sure I can make it work even if they "count" my double as two drinks. In our cabin my wife only drinks the wine we brought, so if I get two doubles with our  two cruise cards, I've got plenty of scotch for our evening drink.

Doug

On 2/9/2022 at 4:45 PM, Lionkingrichard said:

If they say no(doubt it) to a double Vodka and coke then just do it the old fashion way.

Vodka and coke and a Vodka with no ice.

Mix and repeat!

Interesting, I just don't want them to give me a receipt for it as it's technically two drinks. If I was getting drinks for my partner, we'd need two cards then, if the first drink is a double, right?

23 hours ago, mafig said:

I understand bottled water is not included.  Are soft drinks?  Specialty coffees (w/o alcohol).

Is there a daily limit?

Soft drinks will be included with the basic drinks package that's on offer, currently, as far as I am aware.

Just off of the Dawn, and tipped $1 for 2 drinks per order.  My roommate crashed early, and the friendly bartenders would give me 2 x double scotch drinks per order after that.  No additional charge.

Tipping helps a lot, it was a half filled cruise, but every time we walked up to our favorite bar the guys were pouring our drinks before we sat down.  Sometimes ahead of people already there.  They also still had the hero cards on the Dawn.

Soft drinks off of the bar tap were included, cans were extra.  Specialty coffees were extra.

Oh yes, Suites+ could order 4 or more drinks at a time, not just 2.

Edited by monl765
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, monl765 said:

Just off of the Dawn, and tipped $1 for 2 drinks per order.  My roommate crashed early, and the friendly bartenders would give me 2 x double scotch drinks per order after that.  No additional charge.

Tipping helps a lot, it was a half filled cruise, but every time we walked up to our favorite bar the guys were pouring our drinks before we sat down.  Sometimes ahead of people already there.  They also still had the hero cards on the Dawn.

Soft drinks off of the bar tap were included, cans were extra.  Specialty coffees were extra.

Oh yes, Suites+ could order 4 or more drinks at a time, not just 2.

Thanks. I saw someone else suggest something like this. I guess I thought I already paid gratuities in advance. But what I’m gathering is I simply supplemented their wages (because they survive on a tip economy) and it is really an expectation, rather than a tip. So the real tip is the cash at the point of service.

I picked up a pocket full of two dollar bills, because I’m interested to see how these go over as tips. I figure one $2 bill every time my wife and I get a drink. Note: This will be my first drinking experience on a cruise after 22 years of abstinence. So please forgive me for sounding naive.

What about drinks with your meal. Do you leave extra tips there as well?

• Like 1