How does the drinks package on a NCL ship work?

RBrowny

9 minutes ago, CryptoTim said:

What is actually included with the Adult Beverage Package - Promo

Click on the promo on NCL.com.  On the next page scroll down to "Terms and Conditions".  All the information is there for beverage and dining promotions.

• Haha 1

OP one great thing about NCL is you know the drink pricing before you book. on royal you have to book a cruise to find out pricing for drinks, internet etc.and it literally changes by cruise by date. 

with NCL it's up front pricing, no guessing

• Like 3

10 hours ago, monl765 said:

Oh yes, Suites+ could order 4 or more drinks at a time, not just 2.

A question or 2(maybe 10).

What do you mean Suites+? Premium plus drink package and you were in a Suite?

Also is there a separate line/area for Suite passengers at Tampa port?

Thanks. We will be on the Dawn in 1 week and have never been to that Terminal.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, cricket200 said:

well you can drink a bottle of wine with dinner just one glass at a time😁

Heck, even if you have a bottle, it’s difficult to drink more than one glass at a time.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:41 AM, Karaboudjan said:

We got a few drinks neat and they were pretty scrupulous about measuring, so I think in their mind a double would be two drinks.  Whether or not they use that to enforce the 2-drink policy I don't know.

I was regularly asked if I wanted a double when ordering a whiskey.

NCL drink package is really nothing to sweat over if you are not into high-end brands of alcohol. Any mixed drink is counted as "1" and with the beverage package they never charge for soda at all.  Everything you order (outside of 'specialty' brands or 'keep the cup' drink of the day) should be included, and the only time you get 'charged' is if still in home port and Uncle Sam is requiring taxes to be paid. In my experience, the bartenders have always let me know if there is an extra charge before pouring me a specific drink or if I asked for a premium brand of booze that is not included in my package.

Tipping in cash is never required, but does help with your relationship to the bartenders on the NCL ships.

.....I have ordered doubles, triples, and asked for extra booze in my drinks and it still is always counted as one...and... (true story) on more than one ship, I have had the bartender looked me dead in the eye while pouring and say 'tell me when to stop'.  Still only counted as 1 drink and nothing extra hit my onboard account.  He DID get a nice tip though. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, mafig said:

What do most people do about water which is not covered under the drink package.?

Can you bring some on board?  

Pack a plastic or insulated water bottle or two. The water from the tap is perfectly drinkable or you can fill up at the buffet. If my cabin will have a fridge I bring a plastic 18 oz Takeya bottle; if I'm in an NCL Studio with no fridge, I also pack the 40 oz steel insulated Takeya.

11 hours ago, mafig said:

Thank you.  I just prefer bottled water.

You cannot bring any on board with you. You can pay to have a case of water delivered to your room. If you upgrade to the premium plus package, you can get water, Starbucks and just about any drink on board.

13 hours ago, mafig said:

What do most people do about water which is not covered under the drink package.?

Can you bring some on board?  

You could try, but NCL's web page indicates it's not allowed. Nothing wrong with the "tap" water on board, and bottled water is available from cabin service....I don't recall the link, but someone else here can probably supply that. We usually order a six pack of coke (or) from cabin service on all cruises that don't include that in their "beverage package" or allow us to bring our own.  NCL is the most restrictive on bringing bottled water, soda pop or wine in our experience.

Doug

We're booked on the Joy in a Club Balcony in April, hoping to get upgraded to a Haven category, but not that fussed if we don't. We are Platinum passengers. We have the ultimate beverage package but not the premium though are not big drinkers by any means. We have ordered water from NCL to be in our cabin on arrival. What I would really like is to have a few cans of, say, Pepsi, in the room fridge, so save a trip to a bar. Even if we were in the Haven, I would not feel comfortable asking someone to get a drink for me on a regular basis. So, is there a way of getting included cans within the package to put in the fridge, if so, does it depend if we are in the Haven or not, or is it a case of getting it in a glass from the bar or a fountain and maybe filling up our own bottles (taking suitable hygiene precautions) ? Or paying a slightly high price for cans from a shop onboard ?

Edited by GafferJohn
typo

9 minutes ago, GafferJohn said:

We're booked on the Joy in a Club Balcony in April, hoping to get upgraded to a Haven category, but not that fussed if we don't. We are Platinum passengers. We have the ultimate beverage package but not the premium though are not big drinkers by any means. We have ordered water from NCL to be in our cabin on arrival. What I would really like is to have a few cans of, say, Pepsi, in the room fridge, so save a trip to a bar. Even if we were in the Haven, I would not feel comfortable asking someone to get a drink for me on a regular basis. So, is there a way of getting included cans within the package to put in the fridge, if so, does it depend if we are in the Haven or not, or is it a case of getting it in a glass from the bar or a fountain and maybe filling up our own bottles (taking suitable hygiene precautions) ? Or paying a slightly high price for cans from a shop onboard ?

They will not give you any included beverages in your room, unless you're in one of the very few top end haven rooms (Deluxe owner's/ family villa). If you get the Haven, your butler could put a pitcher of fountain soda in your fridge, but how long does that stay good for?

• Thanks 1

I recall researching this a while back, but I can't find my notes, which are probably out of date anyway.

How much is a six pack of water?

I know people say the ship water is fine, and I'm sure it is.  However, when I started cruising my ankles would swell so badly I couldn't put my shoes on.  I would drink lots of ship water to get the swelling down, but for some reason it seemed to get worse.  Someone suggested bottled water.  Since doing that I have not had the ankle problem.  Of course I have plenty of ice cubes with drinks, so some of it is probably in my head, but I do go out of my way not to drink the ship water.

@mafig  If you want to order water to be in your room, log into your My NCL, click on  your cruise,

at top left, click on EXPLORE & PLAN.  Beneath that you should see Beverage Packages and Venues.

Open, Scroll down until you find a package that meets your needs, select, and follow through with purchase.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, RBrowny said:

Interesting, I just don't want them to give me a receipt for it as it's technically two drinks. If I was getting drinks for my partner, we'd need two cards then, if the first drink is a double, right?

Not really on our trip. Got off GA last week and my double Bailey's on the rocks was one drink. I'd hand the barman my card and my DW's card for her drink too. They would only take one card for both drinks. I don't know if it has anything to do with the current lesser amount of people on board or not. They were being very nice to us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daytonasailor said:

Not really on our trip. Got off GA last week and my double Bailey's on the rocks was one drink. I'd hand the barman my card and my DW's card for her drink too. They would only take one card for both drinks. I don't know if it has anything to do with the current lesser amount of people on board or not. They were being very nice to us.

Interesting, thank you for sharing. We are going a bit later in the year so it might change, but we can always ask!

On 2/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, Daytonasailor said:

You can get two drinks on one card at a time

• Like 1