Booking a future cruise while still on your cruise

CruisingLover

The answer varies depending on the cruise line.  Some lines such as Princess have a pretty decent offer (we always keep several in our account) where you do not even need to select a cruise (this is typical).  On Seabourn (an upscale line) booking onboard gets folks a 5% discount (which can be real money on this expensive line).    So my best advice (as one who cruises on many lines) is to check out the details (easily done when aboard) and act accordingly.   

I should mention that most cruise lines will allow the onboard deals to also apply if you want to do the booking through a cruise/travel agency.  This can get you the best of both worlds with some considerations from booking onboard combined with additional financial benefits from cruise agencies.

Hank

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The answer varies depending on the cruise line.  Some lines such as Princess have a pretty decent offer (we always keep several in our account) where you do not even need to select a cruise (this is typical).  On Seabourn (an upscale line) booking onboard gets folks a 5% discount (which can be real money on this expensive line).    So my best advice (as one who cruises on many lines) is to check out the details (easily done when aboard) and act accordingly.   

I should mention that most cruise lines will allow the onboard deals to also apply if you want to do the booking through a cruise/travel agency.  This can get you the best of both worlds with some considerations from booking onboard combined with additional financial benefits from cruise agencies.

Hank

Good points!  My reference was more with RCI / Celebrity and you are correct that there are differences between the lines.  Also agree with the TA comments as most cruise lines allow on board bookings to be transferred to TA's where their  services and benefits can be applied.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Typically the rates offered are the same on board as would be published as available anywhere.  The usual benefit is in the form of a possible reduced deposit and some amount of OBC.  

Well that depends on the cruise line.

Oceania “book onboard” prices are always approx. 5% lower than any published price and include a price reduction guarantee up to the day of embarkation, no penalty change to a different cruise, ability to buy for friends/family not on board with you, SBC gift assigned to current or future cruise...  

And, of course, a 30 day window post cruise to transfer to a TA for added perks and commission sharing.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Well that depends on the cruise line.

Oceania “book onboard” prices are always approx. 5% lower than any published price and include a price reduction guarantee up to the day of embarkation, no penalty change to a different cruise, ability to buy for friends/family not on board with you, SBC gift assigned to current or future cruise...  

And, of course, a 30 day window post cruise to transfer to a TA for added perks and commission sharing.

I agree and acknowledged my shortsightedness and that information as posted by Hlitner in my previous post.  He referenced Princess and Seabourn, and you indicate Oceana as another, with on board rates that may be favorable.  So, yes, clearly it depends on the cruise line. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, CruisingLover said:

I've always wondered if it is worth it to book a future cruise while still on your current cruise. Can anyone tell me the pros, and cons, to booking? What are the benefits? Do you get more bang for your buck? 

Thanks 🙂

We always book future cruises because of the additional OBC and the possibility of a better cabin location.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We always book future cruises because of the additional OBC and the possibility of a better cabin location.

The only obstacle can be that the schedules haven't been released. We used to always while onboard RCI purchase NCC's but not sure those are even available any longer. We've had some golden ones that had no expiration date.

48 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The only obstacle can be that the schedules haven't been released. We used to always while onboard RCI purchase NCC's but not sure those are even available any longer. We've had some golden ones that had no expiration date.

They were nice option!  We, too, had a few a while back that were ultimately put to good use.  Pretty certain that program ended pretty long ago - haven't seen them on board pre-pandemic.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I agree and acknowledged my shortsightedness and that information as posted by Hlitner in my previous post.  He referenced Princess and Seabourn, and you indicate Oceana as another, with on board rates that may be favorable.  So, yes, clearly it depends on the cruise line. 

Not “may be” favorable. Rather, always “will be” favorable (at least with Oceania). And that’s before you add more perks and commission sharing by transferring it to a TA.

We just booked two cruises onboard Riviera (one 36 day two-segment and the other a 20 day single segment). Because the multisegment was unpublished as an “Extended Journey,” we got full perks for each segment plus 5% discount on total price. Add double onboard SBC gift and then transfer to TA (that nets $2k+ rebate) and one has to wonder why folks don’t book onboard and/or don’t use a good TA. 

On 2/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, Hlitner said:

I have not booked a definite future cruise while on a cruise, but I do make a payment of a deposit for a future cruise because of the OBC that the cruise line offers for doing so.  My travel agent is informed of what I have done at that time.  When ready to book the next cruise, I do it through my agent.  Its a "no risk" thing to do, at least with HAL and Princess, in order to get the OBC.  If you don't use that prepaid deposit, the cruise line will refund it to you automatically at the end of 4 or 5 years (I don't remember which) or you can request a refund before the end of that time.  

19 hours ago, Djb4CC said:

And one other perk of booking while on board is that sometimes there are things offered for the current cruise.  I have gotten a spa day-pass once and a dinner at the steakhouse another time.

That's interesting.  I don't recall seeing any offer such as those.  On which cruise line was this?  

On 2/11/2022 at 12:38 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have not booked a definite future cruise while on a cruise, but I do make a payment of a deposit for a future cruise because of the OBC that the cruise line offers for doing so.  My travel agent is informed of what I have done at that time.  When ready to book the next cruise, I do it through my agent.  Its a "no risk" thing to do, at least with HAL and Princess, in order to get the OBC.  If you don't use that prepaid deposit, the cruise line will refund it to you automatically at the end of 4 or 5 years (I don't remember which) or you can request a refund before the end of that time.  

The couple of times we have booked a future cruise while on board, I seem to recall the required deposit was less too.  But, my memory may be faulty.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Djb4CC said:

This was on Holland America.  The deal was not specifically a given reward, but a chance to “spin the wheel” and get something if you are lucky.  

I have not had that opportunity when I have made a future cruise deposit during a HAL cruise.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

The couple of times we have booked a future cruise while on board, I seem to recall the required deposit was less too.  But, my memory may be faulty.  

Your memory is not faulty.  (Unless mine is as well.)  A reduced deposit is often, if not always, part of the attraction.  

I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about what this looks like. Is it REALLY that good of a deal to book on the ship? Some make it sound like the lowest price you can find. There are always sales.

If I had to guess, it seems to me like it's just another form of advertising. Using the "you're on vacation now, don't you want to do this again?" mentality combined with a "sale" would seem like an effective marketing strategy to me. 

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about what this looks like. Is it REALLY that good of a deal to book on the ship? Some make it sound like the lowest price you can find. There are always sales.

If I had to guess, it seems to me like it's just another form of advertising. Using the "you're on vacation now, don't you want to do this again?" mentality combined with a "sale" would seem like an effective marketing strategy to me. 

Really depends on the cruise line. See my earlier post #6 re: Oceania.

Beyond the “price drop match guarantee,” the approx. 5% price cut, the added book onboard SBC ($100 per segment booked - then or for the future), lower deposits, change to another cruise without penalty, extension of the deal to family and friends AND the ability to transfer the cruise to a TA w/i 30 days (for TA added perks) make “book onboard” an excellent choice.

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I would again echo that it depends on the cruise line.  As I pointed out in an earlier post, using Princess as an example, you can simply buy future cruise deposit for $100 (at least that used to be the price).  You have a certain period of time to book a cruise using the credit (currently 2 years) of the money is refunded.  If you do use the credit it can get you a much lower deposit (often nothing more than the Future Cruise Deposit).  The amount of the Deposit ($100 per person) is applied to your booking (so you get your money back) plus you get an additional On Board Credit (depending on the length of the cruise) of up to $150 per person.  So, for those of us who book longer cruises we get our original deposit back plus another $300 per couple of OBC.  In a sense we get 150% return on investment.

Since the money is refunded if not used within 2 years the only cost is losing up to 2 years interest on that $100 per person Deposit.

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

"it seems to me like it's just another form of advertising"

I agree with the responses you have already received.   And I also agree with your comment I quoted.  I don't know if it is the lowest price available.   Probably not.   We always try for a good price but I have no way of knowing if it is the absolute lowest price.    

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

"it seems to me like it's just another form of advertising"

I agree with the responses you have already received.   And I also agree with your comment I quoted.  I don't know if it is the lowest price available.   Probably not.   We always try for a good price but I have no way of knowing if it is the absolute lowest price.    

But what is being missed is that with most cruise lines there is no need to even book a future cruise while aboard.  You simply make a Future Cruise Deposit which is appended to your cruise line account and can be used for nearly any future booking whether it is made directly with a cruise line or through a cruise/travel agent.  So for lines that specifically offer a discount for having these deposits (such as the 5% off with Seabourn) that is a discount to whatever price you ultimately book.   I would agree that booking an actual cruise onboard will not necessarily get you a good price (we can always do better booking through a discount cruise agency).  

On one of our recent Seabourn cruises we did actually do a future booking while aboard because, at the time, SB had a promotion that gave us an extra $2000 OBC.  We then immediately had that booking transferred to our favorite cruise agency who gave us a few hundred more in OBCs.  If the price of the cruise had gone down after we booked we would have been able to get the price adjusted to the new lower price.

Hank

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But what is being missed is that with most cruise lines there is no need to even book a future cruise while aboard.  You simply make a Future Cruise Deposit which is appended to your cruise line account and can be used for nearly any future booking whether it is made directly with a cruise line or through a cruise/travel agent.  So for lines that specifically offer a discount for having these deposits (such as the 5% off with Seabourn) that is a discount to whatever price you ultimately book.   I would agree that booking an actual cruise onboard will not necessarily get you a good price (we can always do better booking through a discount cruise agency).  

On one of our recent Seabourn cruises we did actually do a future booking while aboard because, at the time, SB had a promotion that gave us an extra $2000 OBC.  We then immediately had that booking transferred to our favorite cruise agency who gave us a few hundred more in OBCs.  If the price of the cruise had gone down after we booked we would have been able to get the price adjusted to the new lower price.

Hank

What you say about making the deposit without a specific booking is a very good point.    We have done both but I completely forgot about this aspect.   And the out of pocket for the deposit is very low as you say in your other post.   Cheers!