Discovery Princess using Pier 46 at LA Harbor?

hubble

I see that the Discovery Princess is scheduled to use Pier 46 in San Pedro during March and April.  I've cruised out of Pier 93 where the Princess terminal is many times, but I did not even know Pier 46 existed.  After a bit of research I see it is on the outer harbor and close to the Doubletree hotel.  Seems the ship is to long for pier 93, and pier 92 is being used by NCL Bliss that day.   I cannot find any info if there is actually a terminal building at pier 46, and how is check in is handled there?  Is there a lounge, restrooms,  is it handicapped accessible?  Can taxi's and Uber drop off/pick up at this pier?  If anyone is familiar with this pier, please provide some information.  With Royal, Majestic and now Discovery all using LA Harbor and to big for pier 93, seems like this pier 46 might be used much more in the future.  

In December I got a call from their Customer Relations about my email inquiry about the procedures that will be used for ships that have to use Berth 46 due to the reasons you stated. I was hoping that they would have used the procedure they did for boarding in Buenos Aires…check-in & drop off luggage at the terminal building (B93 is vacant for my cruises) & bus passengers to the ship. But they’re not going to use that procedure and check in will be at the B46 large tent & will shuttle passengers to/from the ship who park in the large lot adjacent to B93/B92 because there is no public parking at B46. What facilities they’ll have in the tent are unlikely to be known until boarding Discovery’s inaugural cruise. They said they would contact me about luggage drop off but they never called me.

Here are photos from before the pandemic of the tent & a current Google Map satellite image of the B46 vacant lot without a tent. I definitely am not looking forward to that procedure for boarding Discovery‘s inaugural cruise & staying on for the next one. Our current plan is to be dropped off and picked up from B46 to avoid the hassle of parking & getting to/from B46.

image.thumb.jpeg.a3fa87b46a604c0d68f298fd67fbc6e3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.babe7ae3a460fb9f0943f711251b9e9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.463ea659fbb82f0cdafff8b8e6432d95.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Astro Flyer, that is great information!  I guess we will all have to wait to see how it is actually handled when Discovery starts sailing.    

I'm not sailing until mid-April, so I'd really appreciate if you would update with any details of your experience on your inaugural sailing embarkation, debarkation and how they handle the B2B turnaround here.  I was planning on taking an Uber from LAX over, but I might even just go with the princess transfers so they handle the luggage directly onto the ship from the airport.  Tents don't look like to much fun.  No restrooms, no elite lounge, probably no good wi-fi or connections to checking in passengers either.   I was hoping they at least had a warehouse or some permanent building at the pier that they would use (like they used to in San Francisco years ago).  Husband uses a transport wheelchair, so that might be an issue too on uneven surfaces.  Wish I knew of this situation when I booked it, I might have waited for a later sailing using the real terminal.   

6 minutes ago, hubble said:

I'm not sailing until mid-April, so I'd really appreciate if you would update with any details of your experience on your inaugural sailing embarkation, debarkation and how they handle the B2B turnaround here.

You’re welcome & I will definitely share my B46 experiences beginning with the 3/27 embarkation, 4/3 turnaround and 4/10 disembarkation.

I am very disappointed that NCL Bliss has B92 & guessing they requested first. Discovery isn’t assigned to B92 until the 4/24 5-day cruise before sailing for Alaska.

If you’re on the 4/17 cruise you’ll have the debut of their new production show…Spotlight Bar.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/spotlight-new-production-show-debuting-onboard-discovery

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Discovery isn’t assigned to B92 until the 4/24 5-day cruise before sailing for Alaska.

If you’re on the 4/17 cruise you’ll have the debut of their new production show…Spotlight Bar.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/spotlight-new-production-show-debuting-onboard-discovery

I didn't catch that the 4/24 cruise was back at B92 as that is when we are getting off the boat, so some good news for us.  Thanks for the update on the new production show, we are looking forward to seeing it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hubble said:

I see that the Discovery Princess is scheduled to use Pier 46 in San Pedro during March and April.  I've cruised out of Pier 93 where the Princess terminal is many times, but I did not even know Pier 46 existed.  After a bit of research I see it is on the outer harbor and close to the Doubletree hotel.  Seems the ship is to long for pier 93, and pier 92 is being used by NCL Bliss that day.   I cannot find any info if there is actually a terminal building at pier 46, and how is check in is handled there?  Is there a lounge, restrooms,  is it handicapped accessible?  Can taxi's and Uber drop off/pick up at this pier?  If anyone is familiar with this pier, please provide some information.  With Royal, Majestic and now Discovery all using LA Harbor and to big for pier 93, seems like this pier 46 might be used much more in the future.  

Berth 93 is deep and long enough for Royal Class ships.

We have used pier 46 for disembarkation. No lounge. The tent in the photos is for customs. You will catch a bus to the airport, or to Berth 93, where our pickup was. I saw shuttles and Uber cars, but the whole system was a mess. How it is now, I don't know. It took us 90 minutes to 2 hours to get a bus. It's too far to walk dragging luggage except for the very athletic. Good luck.

Never heard of it? If you're a history person, Pier 46 was the site of the SS Saninena going up in Dec. of 1976. I heard it go off 30 miles north in Glendale while attending a Christmas party.  I think it broke every window in San Pedro. 

18 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

We have used pier 46 for disembarkation. No lounge. The tent in the photos is for customs. You will catch a bus to the airport, or to Berth 93, where our pickup was. I saw shuttles and Uber cars, but the whole system was a mess. How it is now, I don't know. It took us 90 minutes to 2 hours to get a bus. It's too far to walk dragging luggage except for the very athletic. Good luck.

Never heard of it? If you're a history person, Pier 46 was the site of the SS Saninena going up in Dec. of 1976. I heard it go off 30 miles north in Glendale while attending a Christmas party.  I think it broke every window in San Pedro. 

Thanks for the info but have never seen a 1083’ Royal-class ship at the 1200’ B93 & instead at the 1400’ B91/92. On the dates (3/27, 4/3, 4/10, 4/17) Discovery is at B46 & NCL Bliss at B92, the B93 terminal is vacant so not having Royal-class ships docked there continues. Apparently with only 117’ of cushion they instead dock at the longer B92.

https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

image.jpeg.7bdbda0c8dc78c914cb549ea9e370aee.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

This is very unsettling news. We have a noon flight back to the East Coast after we dock, now apparently at Pier 46, on April 17.  What was the taxi situation like at Pier 46 when you last arrived there?

27 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Thanks for the heads up on this.  It's very interesting stuff watching/reading up on the SS Saninena!  It was featured on Modern Marvels "Engineering Disasters of the 1970s".  I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area, and was only in Jr. High at the time.  I still don't recall hearing about it.  Looks like a lot of safety measures were developed after that happened, so that hopefully nothing of the likes will ever happen again.

---

I hope the situation and logistics at Berth 46 for Discovery Princess will be greatly improved over our past experience! 

Our only time using B46 was in 2015 for Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas disembarkation; this disembarkation unfortunately has the dubious honor of being our absolute WORST disembarkation BY FAR out of our 45 or so cruises.  No one I know from this cruise had a good Berth 46 experience.

We used the B46 shuttle to return to the main cruise terminal / Berth 92 & 93 area where we were parked.  I don't know how the taxi logistics were at the time (and this was before Uber).  

My previous observation:

Cruise | LA Waterfront

---

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

I hope the situation and logistics at Berth 46 for Discovery Princess will be greatly improved over our past experience! 

Our only time using B46 was in 2015 for Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas disembarkation; this disembarkation unfortunately has the dubious honor of being our absolute WORST disembarkation BY FAR out of our 45 or so cruises.  No one I know from this cruise had a good Berth 46 experience.

We used the B46 shuttle to return to the main cruise terminal / Berth 92 & 93 area where we were parked.  I don't know how the taxi logistics were at the time (and this was before Uber).  

My previous observation:

Cruise | LA Waterfront

---

Looks like it has the potential to be just as bad this time too......I do not believe anything has changed....

9 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Do you have to schlep your luggage on the shuttle to the main parking area? This sounds like a less then ideal situation.

When Princess Customer Relations called me 2 months ago they were waiting for a reply from their schedulers. They said they’d call back with answers about luggage which has not happened. I’ve read posts from previous cruises where Princess said one passenger per group should take the bus to get their car & to return to B46 to pick up others & their luggage. Posts said that didn’t happen resulting in lengthy delays.

8 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome & I will definitely share my B46 experiences beginning with the 3/27 embarkation, 4/3 turnaround and 4/10 disembarkation.

I am very disappointed that NCL Bliss has B92 & guessing they requested first. Discovery isn’t assigned to B92 until the 4/24 5-day cruise before sailing for Alaska.

Hi Astro Flyer, did you miss type regarding the 4/24 5-day going to Alaska? I’m on that sailing and it’s going to Cabo San Lucas for a 5-day. Love Alaska, but I won’t be dressed properly in my shorts. lol 

7 minutes ago, Easyrider949 said:

Hi Astro Flyer, did you miss type regarding the 4/24 5-day going to Alaska? I’m on that sailing and it’s going to Cabo San Lucas for a 5-day. Love Alaska, but I won’t be dressed properly in my shorts. lol 

I wrote Discovery isn’t assigned to B92 until the 4/24 5-day cruise before sailing for Alaska”. Sorry if it created confusion…on 4/24 is your 5-day cruise to Cabo followed by the 5-day cruise to Vancouver departing on 4/29.

I’m worried about restrooms.  How can they have all of us there was no restrooms? Are they going to make sure that everyone tested negative prior to letting them on the bus/shuttle? I wonder when they plan on telling us what we are supposed to do and where we’re supposed to go?  They need to bring in a ton of buses.  Also, it will be hard for some people to climb up into a bus.  I’m stressing.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for the info but have never seen a 1083’ Royal-class ship at the 1200’ B93 & instead at the 1400’ B91/92. On the dates (3/27, 4/3, 4/10, 4/17) Discovery is at B46 & NCL Bliss at B92, the B93 terminal is vacant so not having Royal-class ships docked there continues. Apparently with only 117’ of cushion they instead dock at the longer B92.

https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

image.jpeg.7bdbda0c8dc78c914cb549ea9e370aee.jpeg

I think the issue is getting the ship into and out of that berth. Requires there to be enough space across the channel to make the turn in and out of there (can't be a cargo ship close to the Vincent Thomas at the Evergreen terminal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I've been stressing about this since I found out about leaving from berth 46 but unfortunately it wasn't until after final payment. We would have chose another cruise otherwise. 

It's just a super stressful way to start a cruise.

That is exactly how I am feeling right now.  I found out hours after final payment, so no turning back for us without some financial losses. 

My husband and I used to cruise 2-3 voyages a year for well over a decade, and stopped a couple years ago after he started having some medical issues.  I decided he is doing well enough to travel, and I feel comfortable enough to take him in a familiar environment.  We really put a lot of thought into using Princess out of LA.  Very familiar with cruise terminal and airports.  Yes it's big, but for a first outing that I would have to push him in a wheelchair I felt comfortable as long as I didn't have to haul around luggage too.  He can walk short distances,  so having used pier 92/93 more than a dozen times I knew exactly what to expect and based my decision on that.  Now, I'm honestly not sure how we'll handle it all.  In addition to limited mobility, he has cognitive issues which stress and sleep deprivation trigger.  This situation will cause stress, and will definitely impact the start of our cruise too.   

8 hours ago, hubble said:

That is exactly how I am feeling right now.  I found out hours after final payment, so no turning back for us without some financial losses. 

My husband and I used to cruise 2-3 voyages a year for well over a decade, and stopped a couple years ago after he started having some medical issues.  I decided he is doing well enough to travel, and I feel comfortable enough to take him in a familiar environment.  We really put a lot of thought into using Princess out of LA.  Very familiar with cruise terminal and airports.  Yes it's big, but for a first outing that I would have to push him in a wheelchair I felt comfortable as long as I didn't have to haul around luggage too.  He can walk short distances,  so having used pier 92/93 more than a dozen times I knew exactly what to expect and based my decision on that.  Now, I'm honestly not sure how we'll handle it all.  In addition to limited mobility, he has cognitive issues which stress and sleep deprivation trigger.  This situation will cause stress, and will definitely impact the start of our cruise too.   

I'm sure there are staff there that can assist you since your hubby is in a wheel chair. I'm going to stop complaining now after hearing what you have to deal with.

Let's hope it all goes smoothly and have a wonderful cruise.