Dancing of the ships

Jamman54

9 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Okay my Freedom is 2022. I thought you were saying spirit is going this year.

Sorry for the confusion, but yes the Spirit is doing Alaska this year and next year. 😎I thought you were referring to my Spirit cruise which is next year. 

Edited by Jamman54

Oh dear. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I’m on the (what is currently) Freedom repositioning from Miami to Seattle, and now it will be the Spirit? Happy it will do the old locks for sure in the Panama Canal, but it is an older ship that I don’t believe has been refreshed for quite awhile. 16 days!   

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
15 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886v1vbbp58as7ufhog48

How to tell when the gossip starts, Just got off the phone with one of my contacts at Carniva🤣

Does anyone know what happens if they switch ships and the room you have booked doesn't exist on the new ship? We have a 4H on the Panorama deck (Deck 10) on the Freedom, which we chose specifically for the location because of my disability and mobility issues. We have sailed this ship and loved it in the past, but this could be a deal breaker for us.

7 minutes ago, badger10 said:

Does anyone know what happens if they switch ships and the room you have booked doesn't exist on the new ship? We have a 4H on the Panorama deck (Deck 10) on the Freedom, which we chose specifically for the location because of my disability and mobility issues. We have sailed this ship and loved it in the past, but this could be a deal breaker for us.

Its a very good question. 

I booked GTY balcony on Freedom for the repositioning cruise because at the time I booked that was all that was available (no balconies or suites available to book with a chosen room number). I knew I was taking a risk, but there weren’t that many obstructed view balconies on Freedom. I got a room assignment 3 weeks ago I was happy with; perfectly nice normal balcony.  

However, Spirit is a smaller ship and I believe it has many more obstructed view balconies. This does not bode well for me if the ships are switched; I could probably stomach an obstructed balcony on a 7 day cruise but not a 16 day one.  I hope this is just a rumor. 

We are booked for the Freedom repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal in September. I wonder what would happen with that? If the Spirit is supposedly doing Alaska this year, and next, would it reposition through the canal in the Freedom's place?

37 minutes ago, badger10 said:

well one would think that they would email you and ask your choices.

I also think those who pick accessible type rooms really need to be accomodated. 

17 minutes ago, LuvCruiSun said:

The room reassignment is going to be really difficult. We have a scenic grand ocean view on Freedom and that cabin doesn’t exist on Spirit. I specifically booked the date just because that cabin was available. 

I'm thinking there are going to be some very upset Alaska cruisers if this change comes to be. Choosing the ship and cabin is just as important to us as the itinerary. The Spirit is a nice ship for Caribbean destinations IMO, but it falls short for an Alaska cruise.

1 hour ago, badger10 said:

I'm thinking there are going to be some very upset Alaska cruisers if this change comes to be. Choosing the ship and cabin is just as important to us as the itinerary. The Spirit is a nice ship for Caribbean destinations IMO, but it falls short for an Alaska cruise.

The Spirit class is actually really nice for Alaska, but for those that booked certain rooms not available on Freedom it’s going to be disappointing. We sailed on Miracle to Alaska in an aft balcony and it was awesome! Unless they replace our scenic grand with an aft, we probably will cancel. I’m sure that won’t happen. There are fewer aft’s on Spirit than Freedom, so how are they going to reassign all those? 

• Like 1

I want to know what happened to the September 13th, 2022 cruise.  It disappeared from the Carnival site as well as outside travel sites.  IF it was sold out, it would be the only cruise of the season that is sold out, and my PVP says he can still book it internally.  I am speculating that it may be canceled to move Spirit back to Australia, assuming cruises resume by then. But that is totally a guess, not a fact, nothing to support it, opinion only and unconfirmed. But if someone knows or can ask someone who knows, that would be great.

14 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

They must be having a hard time selling Alaska if this comes to fruition. That's the only reason I can see downsizing capacity in Alaska to put it in Canaveral. Because on a price per day basis Alaska is definently higher. 

Freedom is booking at higher prices than either of the Princess ships sailing from Seattle. I can't imagine they are having a hard time selling it....

2 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

Freedom is booking at higher prices than either of the Princess ships sailing from Seattle. I can't imagine they are having a hard time selling it....

Perhaps Carnival Splendor will also be doing Alaska for 2022? Splendor and Spirit still represent a pretty healthy increase in capacity compared to just Freedom. Given that Splendor's Australian sailings are only canceled through September 26, 2022, she could run Alaska to around Labor Day, then make the long trip to the southwest.

Spirit Australian sailings are canceled though 2023. I think she'll settle in Florida (probably Jacksonville) to free up Elation or Paradise for Mobile in October 2023.

It also makes sense that of the five ships that will remain in Miami as of winter 2023-24 (Celebration, Conquest, Horizon, Magic, Sunrise), Celebration more than make up for the loss of Freedom to Port Canaveral for 2022-23, and Magic does for 2023-forward. Miami may be the Cruise Capital of the World, but it can still be a saturated market.

It will be interesting to see if Mobile has to sacrifice a ship to Florida for the 2024 Alaska season if Freedom or Conquest will be doing Alaska in 2024.

16 hours ago, tidecat said:

Perhaps Carnival Splendor will also be doing Alaska for 2022? Splendor and Spirit still represent a pretty healthy increase in capacity compared to just Freedom. Given that Splendor's Australian sailings are only canceled through September 26, 2022, she could run Alaska to around Labor Day, then make the long trip to the southwest.

Spirit Australian sailings are canceled though 2023. I think she'll settle in Florida (probably Jacksonville) to free up Elation or Paradise for Mobile in October 2023.

It also makes sense that of the five ships that will remain in Miami as of winter 2023-24 (Celebration, Conquest, Horizon, Magic, Sunrise), Celebration more than make up for the loss of Freedom to Port Canaveral for 2022-23, and Magic does for 2023-forward. Miami may be the Cruise Capital of the World, but it can still be a saturated market.

It will be interesting to see if Mobile has to sacrifice a ship to Florida for the 2024 Alaska season if Freedom or Conquest will be doing Alaska in 2024.

I am not sure of that.  On the booking engine the Spirit shows Jacksonville thru 4/22 and then a gap till 10/2023 back in Australia.  My guess would be she will be doing Alaska.

I just received official notice from Carnival that my Alaska cruise is being changed from the Freedom to the Splendor.

SHIP CHANGE TO CARNIVAL SPLENDOR
MAY 10, 2022 THROUGH AND INCLUDING AUGUST 30, 2022 – ALASKA

February 14, 2022

Dear Carnival Guest,

We want to provide you with an update on our deployment plans. Carnival Freedom will be repositioning to another home port and Carnival Splendor will be operating the Alaska sailings referenced above, including your cruise.  

Carnival Splendor’s crew is eager to welcome you on board. We know you will enjoy our spacious and comfortable staterooms, the warm and friendly service from our crew, and the great variety of entertainment and activities we have planned for you.

In order to transfer your reservation, we must close access to your booking. Once the transfer is completed, you will receive a confirmation with your new ship and stateroom assignment. You will be assigned a comparable stateroom to what you are currently holding. 

Here’s what you need to know about the ship transfer process: 
  • Our team will be working on moving all the reservations until March 1 so there is no need to call us. (We appreciate your understanding as reservations cannot be accessed by anyone outside of our technical team during this period.) 
  • Any onboard credit currently on your reservation will be automatically transferred to your new booking.  
  • All pre-purchased items such as Fly2Fun air, shore excursions, Carnival Vacation Protection, gratuities, beverage and Wi-Fi packages, and Fun Shop items will automatically transfer to Carnival Splendor. 
  • Approved and pending vaccine exemptions will follow the booking to the new ship. If you have a pending exemption request, the transfer of your booking is not a confirmation of your request.
ITINERARY NOTE: Cruises which call on Skagway, will now call on Icy Strait Point or Sitka.  Itinerary details will be included in your confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard and are committed to providing you with a fun and memorable vacation.

Sincerely,

514ff91d-d9f4-4a9d-bae1-72fec977355f.jpg
Christine Duffy
President, Carnival Cruise Line