First time Regent cruiser (had to cancel our Crystal cruise, you know why...)- questions

the_dylaness

19 minutes ago, duck dodgers said:

And in terms of stability, it's often better to be on a lower deck

In our experience all the Regent ships are very stable.

9 minutes ago, duck dodgers said:

be aware that the better tours will not be all inclusive

Most of the included tours are also very good.

Often the reason for some tours having a price is because they include a meal ................ which is not always good value 🤨

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, duck dodgers said:

Actually, it's not important at all, in my opinion

Not to be disagreeable, I must differ with you here, duck. If there are certain excursions that you are very anxious to go on, and if you are particular about dining times, and prefer not to share a table, getting first crack at booking can be uber* important.

*(higher than super) 

• Like 3

Well I’ll actually be “testing” things out tomorrow when shorex reservations open up for me as a cattle class Superior category traveller on our December cruise. I’ll report back on whether any/many of the shorex (included and paid) were already booked out and thus unavailable

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

I don't see a link to browse the available excursions, maybe I need to play around with it.  It is not the PCPC 😉 !

The web site has just been changed (not for the better IMHO), so we are all trying to adjust.

If you go to your cruise (under Find a Cruise), and click on a port in the itinerary, it shows the excursions, or you can download them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Thanks- this is all so helpful!  My booking window for shore excursions seems to be 365 days prior to sailing.  I don't see a link to browse the available excursions, maybe I need to play around with it.  It is not the PCPC 😉 !

I find their website guest portal 10x better then PCPC - I can actually log into it using the Safari browser for a start! The portal has good info on it and it’s easy to complete registration and the relevant dates are clearly listed. Much better imho

You can get the shorex in advance by going to the public website entry for your cruise and clicking on each port where you will see the listing of expected shorex - currently you have to do that for each port - unfortunately you used to be able to download a pdf of all the shorex for the cruise but that got removed in a very recent website update - the good news it will soon be reinstated as people provided a lot of feedback asking for it 

Obviously when you are within the booking window you go to the guest website account and make the bookings from there - I do believe you actually have to pay for any non free ones in advance unlike our free booking options on Crystal 

Here’s a couple off screen shots that might help navigate the public site 

7FFAD3B9-2A9D-4FCC-8FED-D5D95F088DCE.thumb.jpeg.f1df9aa6f8bdcb21f01d2cf3e1e81d3e.jpeg

DF1AB33B-91BE-44B1-ADE0-4DCBD0B5EE9B.thumb.jpeg.0e99f01c4a01f856de6e117af27b2ce0.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

Excellent thread.  Aloha to all the Crystal Refugees.  Regent will hopefully fill [or over fill] your Crystal void.   I agree with all the posts.  There is value in all the upgrades and perks offered on Regent ships; you just need to gauge if there is value to you.  Regent will do their best to anticipate what most often, most guests will desire.  If there is something you are expecting, let someone know. Your TA, your Butler, your Suite Stewards - even the Concierge or CD.  If it’s Assumed; it may not be assumed by all.   Also, look for the holes that are obviously present.  Regent will, if in a Concierge of higher suite, ensure you have a comfortable room at the cruise hotel, but there will probably be a dinner that you will want to enjoy.   Check the options in the area for the restaurant type preferred.  Remember, there will be Hundreds of others competing for those tables.  If you are looking to dine at the host hotel’s fine dining venue - book as early as possible.   When we recently started our Mariner Holiday cruise - I made a point to secure a table early.  This is the view from the table we were given.

43205C33-BF87-4EFA-9842-01D0953F1E37.jpeg

All I could ask the receptionist was “ Is this the best table you can provide?”

Edited by daetchief
Sp
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Joywrk said:

We are also Crystal refugees. I have to say I am completely frustrated trying to book excursions. I keep getting bumped out of the site. Have spent hours. I hope the cruise is better than this experience

Call Regent with your excursion choices and an agent will reserve them for you. Many times this is the most expedient method. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another refugee here.  Last week finished excursions for our November Rome-Miami cruise.  Only one issue with wait listed excursions in an F1 cabin.  Was happy -- though we would have issues with that,

Had hard time to wait list the cruise we wanted.  Had to check out of the second choice, go back in and book the wait listed one.  Not very friendly.  At least there is a calendar so I can see at a glance which days I have shorex's booked. 

Another difference is that any $$ Shorexs have to be paid for in advance.

Going to miss the multiple internet devices, with only one account.   My DW is going to scream every time I bump her off.

So what do most people do with their Travel Agent provided OBC.  How does Regent treat this, is it refundable in cash??

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

So what do most people do with their Travel Agent provided OBC.  How does Regent treat this, is it refundable in cash??

One thing you can use it for is to pay for the upgraded shore excursions that cost extra.  AFIK, that is all you can do in advance.  Onboard, you can shop and/or purchase wines from Regent's version of the Connoisseur List.

I am hoping that Regent will offer special wine tasting dinners and/or lunches similar to Crystal's Vintage Room.  If anyone knows what will be offered in that regard, more information would be very welcome.  What other options did I fail to mention?

I don't know about the OBC being able to be refundable in cash, but I suspect that in most cases that is not possible.

Edited by SusieQft

8 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I am hoping that Regent will offer special wine tasting dinners and/or lunches similar to Crystal's Vintage Room.  If anyone knows what will be offered in that regard, more information would be very welcome.  What other options did I fail to mention?

They already do have wine pairing lunches - not sure about dinners and I don’t think it’s as limited sizing of participants  as a Vintage Room dinner but in reality I’m not sure that VR degustation concept really fits these days. I’ll certainly be happy to do wine tastings with food and I’ve seen menus and posts about the Regent events and they look good 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

One thing you can use it for is to pay for the upgraded shore excursions that cost extra.  AFIK, that is all you can do in advance.  Onboard, you can shop and/or purchase wines from Regent's version of the Connoisseur List.

I don't know about the OBC being able to be refundable in cash, but I suspect that in most cases that is not possible.

Regent does offer wine tasting "Lunches", a little "pricey", cost is a little higher than Crystal's "dinner" version, so we didn't try it.

--However, the wines that you can buy (lunch or dinner) had VERY reasonable prices, probably as good or better than Crystal (price wise) 

Above is based on my very recent (but limited) experience with Regent. Hope it helps a little

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Another refugee here.  Last week finished excursions for our November Rome-Miami cruise.  Only one issue with wait listed excursions in an F1 cabin.  Was happy -- though we would have issues with that,

Had hard time to wait list the cruise we wanted.  Had to check out of the second choice, go back in and book the wait listed one.  Not very friendly.  At least there is a calendar so I can see at a glance which days I have shorex's booked. 

Another difference is that any $$ Shorexs have to be paid for in advance.

Going to miss the multiple internet devices, with only one account.   My DW is going to scream every time I bump her off.

How many times can you "bump off" someone.  That's really cold!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

No different than Tony Soprano....  Love the Chevy Commercial...  Looks like AJ and Meadow survived..

I haven't seen that one. Great commercial.

OTOH, in Nashville we don't worry about an accident on the Interstates. We are concerned about  being shot while driving.

Welcome former Crystal cruisers. 

Personally i think it is worth booking Concierge if you are on a cruise where the shore excursions are important and if the embarkation port is one that you are not comfortable doing your own thing. If you book less than Concierge, stay with the included air and don't deviate your flights you will arrive the day of the cruise which is not something i am comfortable doing. 

Even though we have sailed Regent for over 100 nights we booked Concierge for our Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise as i am not comfortable finding a safe hotel and dealing with aiport to hotel and hotel to port transfers.  Our other cruise London to Amsterdam we booked an F level because we are comfortabale taking care of ourselves in London, in fact will be spending an extra 5 nights there. 

As ports and shore excursions are why we cruise, getting the shore excursions we want is crucial. 

Booking dining reservations can be important to some. We like to eat relatively early, between 6:30 and 7 but don't mind sharing so we might not have too much trouble getting the days and times we want. However if we couldn't book early and were stuck with eating after 8 and/or on days with long shore excursions we would not be happy. For us being able to book dining reservations at the earliest time means we get the days and times we want.  Generally we book the speciality restaurants on days when we aren't on all day excursions so we aren't rushed or if we are tired we aren't dragging ourselves to dinner when we can't enjoy the experience as much. 

Hope you all enjoy the Regent experience. 

• Like 2

We are on the Splendor now and the entertainment is not the best. The cruise director David has a wonderful voice and he gave the best performance. Problem is that every crew staff or entertainer has quarantine on the ship for a couple of days. Then they can emerge!! When covid recedes the entertainment will get better. 

I agree that the duo in the Splendor lounge are fantastic. They involve the attendees and have such a wide variety of music. Have to say that Kasie is such an accomplished pianist.

I’m another Crystal refugee thinking about a Regent cruise. When you mention getting a good dining time I assume it’s for specialty restaurants?  Not the main dining room?  What time does the main dining room open?  Thanks. Julia

On 2/14/2022 at 12:01 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Gulp - this is what I’ve got to look forward to tomorrow?

Fingers crossed 🤞

Well just completed booking my shorex - it wasn’t too hard and the system worked fine for me 

The other interesting thing is that none of the excursions we wanted to book we’re waitlisted - they were all available  - so we got everything we wanted (as standard Superior class guests so booking at the latest opening deadline)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jinn said:

I’m another Crystal refugee thinking about a Regent cruise. When you mention getting a good dining time I assume it’s for specialty restaurants?  Not the main dining room?  What time does the main dining room open?  Thanks. Julia

Yes, you only need reservations for the specialty restaurants.

The Compass Rose (main dining room) and Sette Mare (Italian restaurant in La Veranda) open at 6:30